• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quick Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expat

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi All.

Being much older and wiser now and feeling that I am lacking a challenge in my life, I am making some personal decisions this year and one is to finish my Masters and the 2nd is to join the Reserves.
My question is if I join the reserves and I want to just be a "grunt" (no offense intended) are the recruiters going to hold it against me that I am highly educated and try and get me into a position of more responsibility, (Typical over educated spiel) or will the CF just accept my choice to be a "grunt" in the reserves?

The recruiters may try to steer you towards something like Signals Officer or something similar when you talk to them, but they'll process you according to the 3 trade choices you pick.

When I was in the Reserves, I knew some NCMs who had Masters and PhDs; no big deal.

Oh, I thought you said highly education. Ya you'll be fine as just a grunt with computer science.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Oh, I thought you said highly education. Ya you'll be fine as just a grunt with computer science.
I am highly educated in my field, and I am a PMP as well. Any way that is not important.
I just don't like to waste my or any ones time and it would be counterproductive to be told we can't accept you because you are over qualified for the position you are applying for, which has happened to me far too many times.

So thank you for the PMs and replies I think that I got the answer for my question and consider this thread closed.

Expat said:
Hi All.

Being much older and wiser now and feeling that I am lacking a challenge in my life, I am making some personal decisions this year and one is to finish my Masters and the 2nd is to join the Reserves.
My question is if I join the reserves and I want to just be a "grunt" (no offense intended) are the recruiters going to hold it against me that I am highly educated and try and get me into a position of more responsibility, (Typical over educated spiel) or will the CF just accept my choice to be a "grunt" in the reserves?

NO.  You can join as whatever you want in the Reserves.  There are many Reservist who hold Masters and PhDs who are NCMs.  You are in no way steered or forced to be an officer.  Even in the Regular Force, you will find many NCMs hold Degrees. 

But you should try to routinely reassure the troops that you want to be a grunt just like them....and that you don't want them to be intimidated by your education.  They'll thank you and welcome you to the herd that much quicker for it.    :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back