• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quick DEU TIE KNOT question

genesis98 said:
What kind of knot do I tie in my tie?

The dress regs show, on page 2-2-17, both the Windsor Knot and the Four-in-Hand Knot.  I believe the Windsor will give you a fuller knot, and the Four-in-Hand a smaller and tighter knot.

And once it is tied properly - never ever untie it.

Mine has been tied in a perfect Double windsor since basic!

GO!!! said:

Perhaps good advice for a $5 polyester uniform tie, but please don't anyone do this to a good civvie tie -- you'll ruin it.

GO!!! said:

Better yet, buy a clip on.  You won't get strangled in a punch-up!

Oddly enough.... have lost every last necktie for my DEUs that I have ever been issued....
but still have today my clip tie from 30+ years ago... go figure.

Neill McKay said:
Perhaps good advice for a $5 polyester uniform tie, but please don't anyone do this to a good civvie tie -- you'll ruin it.

And if you don't outright ruin the tie, the wrinkles that result when it is finally untied are very unsightly and hard to remove.

And don't just yank it through the narrow end, another way to ruin a good tie. Untie it, then hang it up.

Heres one for yah.
I feel borderline retarded,along with most people I work with.
Is the CF tie a full or half winsor?

been a while.

I think it was a full when I tied it back in '85...somebody told me that the benefit of a full Windsor is that you can pull it apart when you undo it without having to un-knot it...so I've heard...  ;D

I undo it everytime I am done wearing the noose....then get it dry cleaned along with my DEUs.

Everytime I need to wear it....it gets re-tied.

It's "knot" hard to do....even tankers can figure it out.

I'm so punny....sorry couldn't resist.    ;)

Regards

Recce By Death said:
I undo it everytime I am done wearing the noose....then get it dry cleaned along with my DEUs.

Everytime I need to wear it....it gets re-tied.

It's "knot" hard to do....even tankers can figure it out.

I'm so punny....sorry couldn't resist.    ;)

Regards

I'll humour ya! :rofl:

I wish I had time to weigh in on this thread, but I'm all tied up right now... :dontpanic: ::)

I think the knot people use varies.  I've tried the (Full) Windsor, and ended up with this honkin' huge ball of hard cloth diggin' into me lucky char- I mean, into my adam's apple.  The four-in-hand is, in theory, the correct way, but it is always lopsided.  I use the half-windsor.  It's easy to tie, easy to untie, looks good, and is supposed to get the chicks.

Waiting twenty years now, but any day, I'm sure...

Cheers!

recceguy said:
And don't just yank it through the narrow end, another way to ruin a good tie. Untie it, then hang it up.

As said, never leave a knot in a silk tie. You actually have to properly untie it if you want it to stay looking new. (Reverse the steps you used to tie it) If you do wrinkle it, simply roll it up and leave it for a few hours. (I just leave mine rolled up to store them)

With an issue tie, do whatever you want. Polyester is a little more forgiving then silk.

Redneck said:
     I think the knot people use varies.  I've tried the (Full) Windsor, and ended up with this honkin' huge ball of hard cloth diggin' into me lucky char- I mean, into my adam's apple.  The four-in-hand is, in theory, the correct way, but it is always lopsided.  I use the half-windsor.  It's easy to tie, easy to untie, looks good, and is supposed to get the chicks.
    Waiting twenty years now, but any day, I'm sure...
     Cheers!

you've been waiting 20 yrs for what???..... chicks?.... Relly!

What about those canex clip ons......the dress regs don't say anything about that we can't wear them only the Sgt Major frowns upon them :D

Back