• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

questions are FCS 434

onecat

Inactive
Reaction score
HI,

I had a few questions that I was hoping some here might be able to help me with. My first choice is SipOp because it more like a network admin... which I studied in school. But now that I‘m waiting for the trade to re-open in April, I‘ve been doing some searching and I wanted to know more about my second choice which Fire control Systems? I know its more technical and requires more schooling in Electronics. So I was hoping I get more info that CF website on this trade. What I‘ve been told 434 is more hardware work, and SipOp is more Software work and you also spend more time out in the field. I haven‘t taken any electronics or math courses in years, and I was worried if I did switch my choices around that might be problem. Does anyone no what level they want yo be at when you start your trades training.HI,

I had a few questions that I was hoping some here might be able to help me with. My first choice is SipOp because it more like a network admin... which I studied in school. But now that I‘m waiting for the trade to re-open in April, I‘ve been doing some searching and I wanted to know more about my second choice which Fire control Systems? I know its more technical and requires more schooling in Electronics. So I was hoping I get more info that CF website on this trade. What I‘ve been told 434 is more hardware work, and SipOp is more Software work and you also spend more time out in the field. I haven‘t taken any electronics or math courses in years, and I was worried if I did switch my choices around that might be problem. Does anyone no what level they want yo be at when you start your trades training.

Thanks

As with all such requests for info by potential recruits, the best bet to get 100% accurate info is to talk to a recruiter. I recommend that you do that. As a general answer to your question however, the two trades are entirely dissimilar. FCS techs are responsible for maintaining various optical, computer, and electrical systems used in tanks, artillery batteries, etc. I‘m not an FCS tech, so I can‘t elaborate too much more than that. If you do enrol as a FCS tech, you will be sent on a POET course following your BMQ/SQ, and they will teach you everything you need to know about electronics and so forth there. No QL 3 course expects you to arrive with any prior knowledge: they teach you everything you will need to know when you get there.

I am a Sig Op, though, and I can tell you that I think you may have something of a misunderstanding of that trade, and what it is all about. We are not network administrators. At least not most of us. Sig Op is the trade pool that most military network administrators are drawn from, but there is a lot more to the trade than just networking. In fact, most sig ops never work in networking, and some good sig ops are even lousy at it. I don‘t say that to discourage you, just so that you don‘t misunderstand the trade. If your past experience in the networking field is the only reason you want to enrol in the Sig Op trade, then once again, you should talk to a recruiter and get the whole story.

Back