• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about the "One free flight"

omnomnomi

Inactive
Reaction score
So, Christmas time (or whatever time you may happen to celebrate) is not so slowly creeping up on us. For people such as myself and a fair number of others, home is a good $400-$500 plane ticket away. One way. I've been hearing others talk about the seemingly elusive "free flight", however no one seems to be able to answer my questions. I will now pose them to you in hopes of clearing up the confusion.

1) Does this flight actually exist?
2) If yes, is it an actual plane they pile a bunch of us on and send to certain destinations? Or is it simply them reimbursing us for a plane ticket to and/or from a certain destination?
3) Is it round trip, or just one way?
4) Does it have to be "home" or is it just where ever you feel like going? (ex. Your girlfriend, also military, wants to come back with your for the winter break but lives on the other side of the country. Does she still get said flight even though she is not going to her home?)

Any insight into this matter is greatly appreciated! Mucho Graçias!

You are looking for LTA, or Leave Travel Assistance.  Generally, it takes the form of a ticket on a commercial carrier.  Beware, however, that it is not always free; the amount of money you get is based on the travel distance from your posting to your home.

LTA is for you to travel to the registered location of your next-of-kin.  That is, if you are single, they will fly you to your parents' place.  If married, they will fly you to your spouse.  A single parent gets to see their kids, etc.

There are seats on service flights available, the CANFORGEN just came out. They go to CF bases and I believe are one way but you can apply for the return leg.

PuckChaser said:
There are seats on service flights available, the CANFORGEN just came out. They go to CF bases and I believe are one way but you can apply for the return leg.

They are also highly unpredictable right up to flight time.

They are also far from guaranteed. Anything could get you bumped, or cancelled, with no option to make your destination.

You could end up spending Christmas in a dark terminal. ;)

recceguy said:
You could end up spending Christmas in a dark terminal. ;)

Might be better than some barracks in the CF.  :D

Here is the CANFORGEN (DWAN only):

CANFORGEN 172/12 CANADA COM 009/12 250900Z SEP 12
SPECIAL CHRISTMAS / NEW YEARS LEAVE TRAVEL PROGRAM 12/13

The primary purpose of the service flights is for people to visit their NOK.

What should be noted is the order of priority:

3.A. CAT 01

3.A.1. MARRIED REGULAR FORCE MILITARY PERSONNEL, RESERVE CLASS B AND CLASS C ON ACTIVE DUTY AND MILITARY PERSONNEL OF USA, NATO AND COMMONWEALTH FORCES ON EXCHANGE WITH THE CF SEPARATED FROM THEIR SPOUSE AND CHILDREN DUE TO SERVICE REASONS AND NOT ENTITLED TO DUTY TRAVEL

3.A.2. SINGLE REGULAR FORCE MILITARY PERSONNEL, RESERVE CLASS B AND C ON ACTIVE DUTY AND MILITARY PERSONNEL OF USA, NATO AND COMMONWEALTH FORCES ON EXCHANGE WITH THE CF TRAVELLING TO VISIT THEIR NEXT OF KIN (NOK) AS RECORDED ON FORM CF 742 - PERSONAL EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION (PEN)

3.B. CAT 02

3.B.1. ALL OTHER CF MILITARY PERSONNEL AND ELIGIBLE DEPENDANTS WHO ARE ENTITLED TO LEAVE TRAVEL ON NON-DUTY OR SPACE AVAILABLE BASIS IAW REF A AND DO NOT ALREADY HOLD A CONFIRMED CAT 01 SEAT

I have been using the Christmas flights for me and my son for many years.  (Round trip)  I have never ever had any problems.  I was traveling on the 707 and the Polaris though.  I have heard stories of the flights covered by the Herc being delayed due to mechanical problems.   

I used the XMas/New Years service flight program probably 10 times over the course of my career, flying Edmonton-Winnipeg or Ottawa-Winnipeg, & return.  Never any major problems.  At one point earlier in the program where married mbrs reuniting with their spouses had priority (IIRC) over single mbrs reuniting with NOK, it took a while to get a seat - but it always worked.  Some routes are busier than others.     

One year I flew out of Cold Lake instead of Edmonton; took the Greyhound there & spent a night in shacks before a 1000h departure.  Call comes at 0600 to shacks, "The schedule's changed, the plane leaves in an hour, get here NOW!"  So I did, no breakfast or shower, & sat around the terminal for the next four hours until the plane left at its originally scheduled time.  ;D  These free flights are a good deal, but be prepared to be flexible - just like civilian flights, especially in winter. 

A special thanks to the aircrew who work over the XMas-New Year's period making this happen.  :salute:

If you wait until the 6th of December (I think) it becomes a free for all.  On that day, call and book your flight as all priorities fall out the window.  I did it last year, they confirm your seat right then and there.

"After 06 December 2012, all Christmas applications that are still pending will be cancelled, as the Christmas program is finished.  Anyone still wanting non duty travel on Christmas/NewYear service flights only, may apply starting the 7 December 12 by contacting NPSC at 1-800-823-3857 or Travel Services at 1-800-487-1186 after 1600 hr (EST).  Requests will be actioned on first come, first serve basis while the member is on the phone and if seats are available a confirmation locator number will be given to the member as per CANFORGEN.  All pending applications are voided as of the 6 December 2012 as the program is finished."

Bzzliteyr said:
If you wait until the 6th of December (I think) it becomes a free for all.  On that day, call and book your flight as all priorities fall out the window.  I did it last year, they confirm your seat right then and there.

"After 06 December 2012, all Christmas applications that are still pending will be cancelled, as the Christmas program is finished.  Anyone still wanting non duty travel on Christmas/NewYear service flights only, may apply starting the 7 December 12 by contacting NPSC at 1-800-823-3857 or Travel Services at 1-800-487-1186 after 1600 hr (EST).  Requests will be actioned on first come, first serve basis while the member is on the phone and if seats are available a confirmation locator number will be given to the member as per CANFORGEN.  All pending applications are voided as of the 6 December 2012 as the program is finished."

True, but if all CF mbrs are eligible in Cat 02 anyway, is there a need to wait that long?

bridges said:
True, but if all CF mbrs are eligible in Cat 02 anyway, is there a need to wait that long?

I can't remember what the reason was for my delay last year (I applied late?) but I did that last year.  Yes.. I remember now.  The flight I wanted was all booked for the legs I wanted.  By waiting until all the potential people got cleared and left slots open, I was able to get the legs I needed on the 6th.  On the 6th they clean the slate and it becomes a "free for all" with the 1-800 number.

Bzzliteyr said:
I can't remember what the reason was for my delay last year (I applied late?) but I did that last year.  Yes.. I remember now.  The flight I wanted was all booked for the legs I wanted.  By waiting until all the potential people got cleared and left slots open, I was able to get the legs I needed on the 6th.  On the 6th they clean the slate and it becomes a "free for all" with the 1-800 number.

Ah - yes, makes sense.  :nod:

Here's a LTA question that I get about as many responses to as there are clerks in the military:

I'll be traveling to Vancouver from Halifax to visit my NOK, and will be claiming the flight via LTA. However, on the return flight home, I was hoping to go to Montreal vice Halifax. If I (obviously) pay my own way home from Montreal-Halifax, will LTA cover Halifax-Vancouver(NOK)-Montreal? Or will I have to go home to Halifax first, before going to Montreal on my own dime??

Cheers.

kolkol I am no clerk but I will tell you that for many years my itinerary would look like this (covered by LTA the whole way):

Valcartier to Montreal by POMV, park car in driveway at father's house. (mother is listed as NOK in Victoria, BC btw)
Taxi from dad's to Montreal airport
Montreal to Vancouver by plane
Bus/skytrain from YVR to Tsawwassen
Ferry from Tsawassen to Swartz Bay
Swartz bay pickup by mom to her home (or bus to her home)

Reverse to return.  Remembering that the trip is your home to the NOK home minus 800km at X rate per km.  If you go over, you pay out of pocket.  If I felt like getting off in Winnipeg and hitching then I could.  They give you the amount and say "go with it". Ask your orderly room, they should be able to do a quick calculation.

Edit to add: I personally would try for seat sales and take all the different modes of transport as it saved the military money and allowed me to visit other family members in the other cities along the way.

kolkol said:
Here's a LTA question that I get about as many responses to as there are clerks in the military:

I'll be traveling to Vancouver from Halifax to visit my NOK, and will be claiming the flight via LTA. However, on the return flight home, I was hoping to go to Montreal vice Halifax. If I (obviously) pay my own way home from Montreal-Halifax, will LTA cover Halifax-Vancouver(NOK)-Montreal? Or will I have to go home to Halifax first, before going to Montreal on my own dime??

Cheers.
As long as the section of your leave pass is stamped at your NOK location, this shouldn't raise an issue. I was a late bloomer only marrying 4 years ago and visited my mom (at least) once a year claiming LTA (once/yr) until her passing 2 years ago. I visited family/friends around southern Ontario but as long as I had my CF 100 stamped by Burlington Police, I was never questioned and never felt I was abusing this benefit...someone correct me if I am wrong.
Again, bare in mind, you WILL NOT be reimbursed the cost of the flight/train ticket/gas. You are paid by mileage as eluded to in the previous post..

Pat in Halifax said:
You are paid by mileage as eluded to in the previous post..

Did they go to just mileage to make things easier?  Just because I do recall when my sister used to visit home, that it was mileage or 70% (?) of your plane ticket cost, whichever was less.

I know when I was in Pet and went to Fredericton for leave, it irked me that a flight was $600 and I only got about $130 for mileage, yet someone else could buy a $200-300 ticket for Vancouver but get paid oodles more for mileage.  :mad:

Pet to Fredericton is less that Pet to Van I think?

1213 kms vs 4276

Bzzliteyr said:
Pet to Fredericton is less that Pet to Van I think?

1213 kms vs 4276

Yes, it is.  That wasn't my point.  Based on the "paid by mileage" someone who went to Fredericton only got about $130 after forking out $600 for a plane ticket, but someone who flew to Vancouver, got about three times more than what they paid for their ticket.

As far as I'm concerned, if a person states they drove, they should have to produce gas receipts from locations on the way.  Just my  :2c:

I'm surprised they don't do this in these days of so-called "fiscal restraint".  ::)

Ah, but that's not how it's done.  They don't give you the full amount and say "go".  You can ask to find out what the maximum entitlement is but they will only pay you what you can prove you paid for.

I remember one summer I did drive from Fredericton to Victoria and back for my summer vacation, packed the ex and a kid in the car and camped the whole way across.  I kept receipts for the campgrounds and gas receipts I think.  I am pretty sure that even if I buy a $800 ticket but am entitled to a $1000 one the military will only reimburse the $800.  They don't give you free money.

Back