• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about having a College diploma

Valken

Inactive
Reaction score
So I'm in my last semester of my college program (3 year program) and I'll be graduating with a diploma, not a degree. My field of study is Instrumentation and Controls Engineering Technology; we cover a lot of electrical engineering technology stuff as well as a little bit of mechanical and a decent amount of process control. For a more detailed look at my course, here is the link to the college website: http://www.cna.nl.ca/programs-courses/Show-Program-Details.aspx?program=50

I'm really considering joining the Air Force when I'm finished my program, and I would like to pick a trade that has something to do or is some what similar to what I've done in school. Obviously there is no direct copy of such a job in the military, but I'm just looking for some opinion and advice.

I've gained a strong interest in a few particular trades; ATIS Tech, Air Weapons Systems Tech, and Avionics System Tech. I've noticed that a lot of the training for all these trades is similar/has already been taught to me in my college program. So would I have to do all the training necessary for the trade if I've already done a lot of it? Also, how much does spec pay 1 equal out to be? I can't seem to find much on it.

Also, I should mention that I am currently in the Reserves as a Signaller (working with IA Company with Psyops as of right now) and I've been in for about 4 years now and am set to go on PLQ this summer.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice I receive

Valken

Did you actually read the "Read First thread" prior to posting.

As you have indicated in your post below you are already a member of the Canadian Armed Forces. We do not answer questions on Occupation or Component Transfers.

Topic moved

Master Seaman Robert said:
As you have indicated in your post below you are already a member of the Canadian Armed Forces. We do not answer questions on Occupation or Component Transfers.

You may find this discussion helpful, Valken.

Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Q&A
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/12797.0.html

Valken said:
So I'm in my last semester of my college program (3 year program) and I'll be graduating with a diploma, not a degree. My field of study is Instrumentation and Controls Engineering Technology; we cover a lot of electrical engineering technology stuff as well as a little bit of mechanical and a decent amount of process control. For a more detailed look at my course, here is the link to the college website: http://www.cna.nl.ca/programs-courses/Show-Program-Details.aspx?program=50

I'm really considering joining the Air Force when I'm finished my program, and I would like to pick a trade that has something to do or is some what similar to what I've done in school. Obviously there is no direct copy of such a job in the military, but I'm just looking for some opinion and advice.

I've gained a strong interest in a few particular trades; ATIS Tech, Air Weapons Systems Tech, and Avionics System Tech. I've noticed that a lot of the training for all these trades is similar/has already been taught to me in my college program. So would I have to do all the training necessary for the trade if I've already done a lot of it? Also, how much does spec pay 1 equal out to be? I can't seem to find much on it.

Also, I should mention that I am currently in the Reserves as a Signaller (working with IA Company with Psyops as of right now) and I've been in for about 4 years now and am set to go on PLQ this summer.

But he's not actually asking about a component transfer.  That will come up at some point in the future, but it's not the primary issue right now.  He's asking about the applicability of his college program to a career in the Air Force and what doors it may open.  If you remove the above sentence in red, then this question most definitely belongs in the "Ask a Recruiter" section (so it seems to me anyway).  Valken, I reccomend you go to your nearest recruiting centre for advice.  The Component Transfer will come up some point, but that should not be the central part of the discussion at the moment.

Pusser said:
But he's not actually asking about a component transfer.  That will come up at some point in the future, but it's not the primary issue right now.  He's asking about the applicability of his college program to a career in the Air Force and what doors it may open.  If you remove the above sentence in red, then this question most definitely belongs in the "Ask a Recruiter" section (so it seems to me anyway).  Valken, I reccomend you go to your nearest recruiting centre for advice.  The Component Transfer will come up some point, but that should not be the central part of the discussion at the moment.

No, it doesn't belong in the "Ask a CAF Recruiter" section, which is why it was moved.  The OP is a current serving member and should they wish to join the Air Force, it will be via the CT process.  Ask a CAF Recruiter - RED ME FIRST  --->  http://army.ca/forums/threads/115341.0.html  (**-  This section is for persons who have questions about joining the Canadian Armed Forces)

Nevertheless, once you have completed your College studies and have graduated, you will be required to provide your College academic transcripts as part of the CT process.  These will/should be used to initiate a PLAR to determine whether or not any of the knowledge obtained can be used towards the granting of any training credits against whichever occupation you wish to pursue.

To see if this course has been reviewed by the CAF, check here but keep in mind, this site is ONLY to be used as a "guide".

http://cafcod-rpfcfac.forces.gc.ca/en/index  (Browse Directory)

Valken said:

When/If you decide to join the regs, you will have a PLAR (prior learning assesment) done. it takes your college courses into consideration. Chances are (and mearly speculation on my part based on experience) you will be grantet POET (performace oriented electronics training). This would be for ATIS and AVS as I don't believe AWS includes that course. You would be on the hook for the rest of the DP1 course.

Again its just mearly speculation on my part but anyone I have met and worked with that has a college diploma in electronics has been granted POET.

Thanks for every bodies responses and I also apologize for taking so long to reply.

I do have an update; put in my CT application for Reg Air Force with the following as my trade choices: Air Weapons System Tech, Avionics System Tech and Electrical Generating Systems Tech. I had a discussion with my orderly room and had a look at the qualifications and whatnot of each trade and I've learned a decent amount already from my college diploma. I also spoke with a friend of mine who did the POET course a few years ago about what is taught and I've learned nearly all of it already.

As of right now, just waiting for some paper work to get sorted out, and wait for a call. In the mean time, I'm busy collecting the syllabuses for all the courses I've done for when a PLAR starts.

DAA said:
To see if this course has been reviewed by the CAF, check here but keep in mind, this site is ONLY to be used as a "guide".

http://cafcod-rpfcfac.forces.gc.ca/en/index  (Browse Directory)

Interesting, surprised (well not really actually) there isn't a link to this on the recruiting website. Also it would be helpful to make the list of which programs (at which institutions) are suitable for entry into the non-technical trades.

Valken said:
Thanks for every bodies responses and I also apologize for taking so long to reply.

I do have an update; put in my CT application for Reg Air Force with the following as my trade choices: Air Weapons System Tech, Avionics System Tech and Electrical Generating Systems Tech. I had a discussion with my orderly room and had a look at the qualifications and whatnot of each trade and I've learned a decent amount already from my college diploma. I also spoke with a friend of mine who did the POET course a few years ago about what is taught and I've learned nearly all of it already.

As of right now, just waiting for some paper work to get sorted out, and wait for a call. In the mean time, I'm busy collecting the syllabuses for all the courses I've done for when a PLAR starts.

The PLAR is part of your CT processing and is suppose to be done in advance because the results from the PLAR "WILL" form the basis for your CT Offer as it can impact on not just training, but also promotion credit and pay levels.  If you are dealing with your Orderly Room, then they too can look up and see whether or not your College Diploma is recognized against any of your occupation choices.

Back