• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question since I'm overly sick right now.

Mike Baker

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Folks, I am really really sick right now. I'm unable to keep anything in me at all, and if I try, a few minutes later it fly's right back out again. Also got the similar problem with my back end, if you know what I mean.

But my question is, does anyone know of a way for me to stay hydrated? I'm a bit worried about that being a problem, and I'm at leas an hour and 40 minutes away from the nearest hospital or pharmacy, so things like that can't really work to my advantage. Another problem is that we can on get out of here by boat, and tomorrow isn't going to be a good day, so even if there's a drug out there that could help, I wouldn't get it for a bit (and the boat doesn't usually run on Wednesday).

Hopefully one of you smart medics, or mothers, out there can help me.

Cheers
Beaver

Mother Marshall here,  ;D

Have you tried just sipping small small amounts of water every so often? I had a really bad stomach flu of some sort for like 2 weeks and I also could keep nothing down. But small amounts of water seemed to stay alright.

From Medline Plus

It is important to stay hydrated. Try steady, small amounts of clear liquids, such as electrolyte solutions. Other clear liquids -- such as water, ginger ale, or fruit juices -- also work unless the vomiting is severe.

Don’t drink too much at one time. Stretching the stomach can make nausea and vomiting worse. Avoid solid foods until there has been no vomiting for six hours, and then work slowly back to a normal diet.

When to Contact a Medical Professional:

Vomiting longer than 24 hours
Blood or bile in the vomit
Severe abdominal pain
Headache and stiff neck
Signs of dehydration
Signs of dehydration include:

Increased thirst
Infrequent urination or dark yellow urine
Dry mouth
Eyes that appear sunken
Crying without tears
Loss of normal skin elasticity (if you touch or squeeze the skin, it doesn't bounce back the way it usually does)

What's important is drinking in small amounts.  You may have to be continually sipping at something just to keep it down.

Hints:

After vomiting, wait 90 minutes before drinking liquids. Then drink small amounts of clear liquids, just a small sip at first, and wait 15 minutes before drinking more. If tolerated, take 1-2 sips of clear liquid every 15 minutes for three hours. Clear fluids: water, Gatorade, apple juice, clear broth, or Pedialyte (Gastrolyte).

Homemade rehydration fluid (from Web MD):

Drink a rehydration drink, water, juice, or sports drink to replace fluids and minerals. Drink 2qt of cool liquids over the next 2 to 4 hours. You should drink at least 10 glasses of liquid a day to replace lost fluids. You can make an inexpensive rehydration drink at home. But do not give this homemade drink to children younger than 12. Measure all ingredients precisely. Small variations can make the drink less effective or even harmful. Mix the following:

1 quart (950 ml) water
½ teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda
½ teaspoon (2.5 g) table salt, or ¼ teaspoon (1.25 g) salt substitute (such as "Lite Salt," which is potassium-based)
3 to 4 tablespoons (45 to 60 g) sugar

Edit to add:  If you have ginger ale, let it go flat before you drink it.  The carbonation isn't great for your stomach but the ginger is.

The Beaver said:
Folks, I am really really sick right now.

2 Things :

1- What were you drinking last night; and
2- That'll learn ya

;D

Back