• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

I concur with Armyvern's post, the Hasty P's are the ones to beat in collecting WW2 battle honours.

I have another Napoleonic question:  What unit of the allied army is noted for having rode en masse to Brussels to announce the defeat of Wellington's army at Waterloo and, what was the consequence of taking that action for that unit? 

My guess is the
The Cumberland Hussars

They were a regiment of Hanoverians who were seen leaving the battlefield early on and when an Aide sent by Wellington asked their colonel why he said that his men were all volunteers who had paid for their own uniforms and horses and that he had no confidence in them and was therefore taking them back to Brussels.

One person described the situation as 'the road to Brussels as being so crowded with fugitives that Wellington had no choice but to hold his ground'. Some units like the Duke of Cumberland's Hussars left the field after being ordered to charge a second time.

Once some rascals of the Cumberland Hussars, a new Corps of Hanoverians (not of the style of our noble and gallant old comrades, the 1st Hussars), came galloping in, declaring they were pursued by Frenchmen.

3rd Herd is correct, The Duke of Cumberland's Hussars abandoned the field at Waterloo.  The unit was broken up and the members distributed to other units.

What was the "Pig War" and who won it?

Pig war- San Juan Islands 18++ something or other-we lost the war
:cdn:
or for a more in depth explination

A wandering pig set off an armed confrontation between Canada and the United States and it lasted for twelve years. The incident occurred June 15,1859, a warm summer's day on San Juan Island, just east of Victoria, B.C. Farmer Lyman Cutler stepped out onto his balcony to find that a pig, owned by the Hudson's Bay Company, was once again rooting around in his garden. Enraged, he promptly shot the pig. The Hudson's Bay Company threatened to take farmer Cutler to Victoria for trial in a British Columbia, but the Americans would not hear of such a thing. The treaty of 1846 had established that the international boundary line lay in mid-channel in the Strait of Juan de Fuca , which they claimed made San Juan Island American territory. The problem was that there were at least two channels. The argument smoldered for months until the Americans called in the military. Captain George Pickett arrived July 26, 1859 and immediately proclaimed the island U.S. territory. The following week 61 Royal Marines, with a different point of view, stepped ashore from a British warship. for the next twelve years armed detachments faced each other across the western end of the long international boundary. In 1871, under the treaty of Washington, the matter was referred to Emperor Wilhelm 1 of Germany for arbitration. He awarded the verdict to the United States.

redleafjumper said:
What was the "Pig War" and who won it?

"The "Pig War" is the name commonly given to the 13-year standoff between the American Army and British Royal Navy on San Juan Island that began in the summer of 1859 after an American settler shot a British pig on the island that both nations claimed. The "war" is celebrated because it was ultimately resolved by negotiation and compromise instead of by guns and force, and there were no casualties except the pig. The confrontation and its resolution are also significant in Washington history because the award of the San Juans (San Juan, Orcas, Lopez, Shaw, and many smaller islands) to the United States instead of Great Britain led to the The military confrontation between the United States and Great Britain over the San Juan Islands known as the "Pig War" lasted for 13 years from the shooting of the pig in 1859 until its belated but peaceful resolution in 1872. creation of Washington's San Juan County and finalized the borders of the state that exist today."

http://www.historylink.org/results.cfm?search_library=cyberpedia&searchletter=S

3rd Herd said:
Pick one, and any idea where the civil populace was to be evacuted to?   Actually the whole process started prior to Pearl Harbour( August 18, 1941) with the fall of Hong Kong and Singapore. Who knew where the Japanese carriers were headed next. Alas the US use of magic provided alot of information but not all.

I think Michael Dorosh picked that up. Surprised no-one else commented/snickered.

3rd Herd said:
A wandering pig set off an armed confrontation between Canada and the United States and it lasted for twelve years. The incident occurred June 15,1859, a warm summer's day on San Juan Island, just east of Victoria, B.C. Farmer Lyman Cutler stepped out onto his balcony to find that a pig, owned by the Hudson's Bay Company, was once again rooting around in his garden. Enraged, he promptly shot the pig. The Hudson's Bay Company threatened to take farmer Cutler to Victoria for trial in a British Columbia, but the Americans would not hear of such a thing. The treaty of 1846 had established that the international boundary line lay in mid-channel in the Strait of Juan de Fuca , which they claimed made San Juan Island American territory. The problem was that there were at least two channels. The argument smoldered for months until the Americans called in the military. Captain George Pickett arrived July 26, 1859 and immediately proclaimed the island U.S. territory. The following week 61 Royal Marines, with a different point of view, stepped ashore from a British warship. for the next twelve years armed detachments faced each other across the western end of the long international boundary. In 1871, under the treaty of Washington, the matter was referred to Emperor Wilhelm 1 of Germany for arbitration. He awarded the verdict to the United States.

Is the above your work or should you provide a source?

3rd Herd said:
Pig war- San Juan Islands 18++ something or other-we lost the war
:cdn:
or for a more in depth explination
Not trying to be rude or anything here 3rd Herd, but usually when we edit our posts we provide:

Edited to add:
"or for a more in depth explination (SIC)

.........."

Especially when we are editing an earlier post to add in an answer. Especially when the answer   had already been provided by some else after your original post but before your edit. Play fair!! There are no prizes here!!

Hee Hee, I find it tremendously ironic that the answers to the question about a war in which the only casualty was a pig have invoked such passionate discourse!  I would say that Armyvern's answer is the more completely correct explanation of  events.  But regardless, let's not fight over it.

What significant memorial of WW2  is located near where the Magna Carta was signed?

Armyvern, you nailed it yet again.  The Commonwealth Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede stands as a tribute to those brave aircrew who laid down their lives for King and country in WW2.

This one is probably easily found on an internet search but it is a nice change of era:

To what does Oakeshott's Typology refer?

redleafjumper said:
Armyvern, you nailed it yet again.   The Commonwealth Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede stands as a tribute to those brave aircrew who laid down their lives for King and country in WW2.
Including one Clasper.

This one is probably easily found on an internet search but it is a nice change of era:

To what does Oakeshott's Typology refer?

Swords.
http://www.oakeshott.org/Typo.html

My apologies I am still learning the appropriate rules and your not being rude. Pig war info was a cut and paste and I forgot to add url. As for the info on evac of Victoria and the defense/war on the west coast. I have been collecting primary source info-letters, news paper articles memorandums, unit diaries, privy council minutes, access for information here in Canada and the US since I got into a pissing contest with a third year prof. If I can get my scanner up and running and if there is some interest I will post some of this information. Most has been confirmed by at least two other independent sources. I have also managed to access a fair amount of recently declassified information in the states-magic intercepts, readiness reports, operation plans. Information out of Japan has been harder to come by as they destroyed alot of the documents in the closing days of the war and their archival research costs are astronomical. As for who wins I want the next question, maybe I am warped but I happen to enjoy this stuff.
cheers :cdn:

. Ewart Oakeshott is perhaps the most noted student of swords, and his contribution to our knowledge is significant. In order to make his research easier, he divided the swords into types. In contrast to other typologies, like Petersen's Viking sword typology that only focuses on the hilt form, Oakeshott's typology concentrates on the blade and its function. His system makes it easier to date the swords, and coupled with his classifying of the hilt parts it become rather easy to tell the approximate age of a certain sword. The typology isn't complete or perfect, something Oakeshott is the first to admit, but it is nonetheless one of the best ways to understand the development of the medieval sword. Please note that the swords illustrated are single specimens, and that there are variations within each type.

from google
http://www.algonet.se/~enda/oakeshott_eng.htm

Named after Capt Bruce Fairbin(not sure of spelling)Dagger. Originally made I think back in the 1920's or begining of the 1930's in SE Asia :cdn:.

Ammogod's explanation on Oakshott's typology  is correct.  The answer for the knife is the Sykes-Fairburn fighting knife.

Hmmm.  I forgot to provide another question with my last post.  Let's see, 

How many long sun rays are there on the Australian Army slouch hat cap badge?

According to this

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/badges-asstd/chart.JPG

It is thirteen.

What is the name of the effects of an artillery round that cause it to  drift from a true trajectory? (hint, there are two effects)

Back