• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question About SQ and Trade specific Training

army12

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you have to live on base when doing your trade specific training or if you are able to live off base or go off base for weekends, reason being i was thinking of moving a long term girlfriend up with me.

Thanks for any and all help.

Not likely to happen.

Weekends off - maybe unless your course messes up.

Not to mention, if you are not authorized a move, it will be on your own dime.  And then, when you are authorized a move, it might only be from place of enrolment and not your current location.

Here's my take on the situation army 12:

On most trade training course (what I would call TQ3) you are required to live in the quarters. Upon graduation from trades training on your first posting you might be able to live off base. This will depend on what your unit's policies are WRT single pers living off base.

okay so what im hearing is that i will have to bite the bullet for the first year or so and travel on my own, and then hopefully (after i complete my TQ3) i should be able to move her up, and yes i figured it would be on my own dime, but that doesnt worry me we dont have kids so that should be no trouble.

army12 said:
okay so what im hearing is that i will have to bite the bullet for the first year or so and travel on my own, and then hopefully (after i complete my TQ3) i should be able to move her up, and yes i figured it would be on my own dime, but that doesnt worry me we dont have kids so that should be no trouble.
knock on wood

army12 said:

or you could time things properly, get approval to travel PMV and take her with you to the new location thus only having to pay for her meals enroute.  Of course you have to factor into that how long your course is, how much free time you will have to be with her and will she be happy dumped and alone most of the time in a new area with no friends.

I would go with leave her at home with friends/family around for support until you have your first real posting.

You mention her as girlfriend - by that I am guessing that you do not live together so no matter when she moves you will be paying.

Back