• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

the 48th regulator said:
This is the best!!

The SGT. that works in the office with me, just told all of us he had been Biebered.  When we asked what that meant, he said he has received a letter stating he is going to get the Jubilee Medal, and that now people are saying that you are "Biebered" if you have one!!!!!!

:rofl:

As if credibility wasn't already down the tubes.

Great its now the QDBM(Queens Diamond Bibber Medal).

Maybe everyone who gets one, from now on, ought to attend the presentation in coveralls.  ;)

As posted in this other thread, David Chen Wang, the Chinatown storekeeper is being awarded the QDJM.

E.R. Campbell said:
Good; maybe he "neutralizes" the rich kid in overalls.

His and the one awarded to our own Mr Seggie would I would think.  I found of the three persons I nominated for their work with Veterans, one has been awarded it. The MP isn't handing his out until this month. The other MP who had two nominations from me appears from their web site is not doing anything with the 30 she was given to distribute.

Got one - it was a very nice surprise from my unit, and I appreciate it. Still, I know many mbrs of my Squadron who I feel were more deserving. When I saw the Beebs getting it, I could have really cared less that he did. Anyone tell me I've been 'Biebered', I'll just smile - again, could care less.

Sic Itur Ad Astra said:
Got one - it was a very nice surprise from my unit, and I appreciate it. Still, I know many mbrs of my Squadron who I feel were more deserving. When I saw the Beebs getting it, I could have really cared less that he did. Anyone tell me I've been 'Biebered', I'll just smile - again, could care less.

Good for you; that's the right attitude. You were selected on a merit based system ~ not a perfect system, none is, but a systems that ensured good people were recognized.

Mr. Bieber (is it "e before e" in his name?) is, apparently, a talented young man who has risen to the top of his field and was rewarded as a result ~ good for him, too. Yes there were a few "awards" (by politicians) that caused some (justifiably) raised eyebrows but, hey, it's Canada and we should be proud of our diversity, including the diversity of our opinions.

kratz said:
David Chen Wang, the Chinatown storekeeper is being awarded the QDJM.

Well deserved and glad for him :nod:

And for you too Mr. Seggie :salute:

the 48th regulator said:
This is the best!!

The SGT. that works in the office with me, just told all of us he had been Biebered.  When we asked what that meant, he said he has received a letter stating he is going to get the Jubilee Medal, and that now people are saying that you are "Biebered" if you have one!!!!!!

:rofl:

So that';s two people in the same office that have been Biebered now  8)

BTW I spoke too soon earlier. The other MP was just a bit behind in her nominations and both people I put in for it got it.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/08/queens-diamond-jubilee-medals-a-fiasco

Queen’s Diamond Jubilee medals a fiasco
By Warren Kinsella ,QMI Agency
Saturday, February 09, 2013 07:00 PM EST

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Hmmm ... I guess not enough went to Liberals. Warren Kinsella is a buffoon. He is part of the QMI/Sun media thing in order to provide "balance" for Ezra Levant, who is also a clown. They are a well matched pair: two mouthy, opinionated, politically partisan, over the top lawyers with high high IQs and no common sense.

He seems to go to great pains to show all the supposed bad Conservative handouts, but fails to mention any of the ones handed to partisan people and organisations by the Liberal and NDP MPs and MPPs. ;)

In the "QDJM off the rails" discussion, apparently the city council of London Ontario decided to award the medal to the hardest working people they could find, all dedicated to making a better city.  Step up, City of London City Council!

:facepalm:

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Mister Kinsella's rant is worthless, in that he didn't do a compare and contrast with the issuing of the last two commemorative medals -- the Canada 125, issued when Brian Mulroney was PM, and the Queen's Golden Jubilee, issued when Jean Chretien was PM.

If he had manged to submit some evidence that this was an established completely non-partisan process that Steven Harper has screwed up, he might have a point. But even those who argue that the QDJM process is flawed largely admit that the process has been flawed for some time, and is not a flaw that has recently been invented by the current government.

Warren Kinsella has been dialling it in for quite some time.

I fully understand that this is an older thread, but I wanted to acknowledge Mr Campbell's comments on this topic (quoted below, bold is mine).

E.R. Campbell said:
<snip>
3. Broadly and generally, with a few notable exceptions, service to a cause, to a community, to the country, even to humanity at large, is being recognized.

Based on that, no-one should be anything except proud to wear this. The fact that I (and maybe others) don't much care for Justin Bieber is worth exactly the same as my opinion on various issues: nothing, at all. For all I know he is a nice young man who cares about his community and supports good causes and, and, and ... it doesn't really matter what I think about his sartorial choices, either.

We are, I suspect, going to see more, not less bling over the coming years; unless the government decides to give one e.g. Canada 150 medal to every lawfully serving member of the CF,* there will be debates about how they are "awarded." If you get one then I hope you will wear it with some pride in what in represents and in the fact that you CoC thought you worthy to carry it; if you don't get one I hope you will shrug and thank your luck stars you don't need to pay to get your medals remounted.

_____
* Or one to each serving (regular and reserve) GOFO and CWO/MWO ~ which means the medals will disappear from everyday wear sooner

I thank you Mr. Campbell for your comments. There has been a lot of discussion about the QDJM that has largely been negative. 

If any of you reading this have been awarded one, I hope you are wearing it proudly for what it represents, as Mr. Campbell stated. Quite reasonably you may think it far less significant then your SSM or your GCS etc, but it is still a national award - and you were chosen to receive it, hopefully for good reason.

I am a civilian recipient of the QDJM, and received mine alongside some people who I know are hard working, selfless individuals who genuinely are proud of their country and community and were honoured for their contributions to same. In their case it was in no way an "attendance medal." I have heard of a few who received it that certainly made me wonder what fool gave them a medal. But they are a minority.

I believe that in the civvie world a great many of these medals are well deserved, even though the process is, admittedly, flawed. Some people who got one perhaps shouldn't have. However I think most have earned the recognition. (I won't speak to the military's process. I've been out for over 30 years so I know nothing about the current CF but what I read.)

It disturbs me to have the QDJM dismissed as generally worthless. I'm proud of my medal. I don't want to think of it as a dime store trinket. I'm proud that someone thought enough of me to award it.  I'm even more proud to be recognized alongside other recipients I know are worthy. Some have really made a difference, and I hope I have as well.

(On a more selfish note, medals were few and far between when I was in uniform, this is likely the only one I'll ever get! I think it looks darn good on my suit.  :))

x-grunt said:
I fully understand that this is an older thread, but I wanted to acknowledge Mr Campbell's comments on this topic (quoted below, bold is mine).

I thank you Mr. Campbell for your comments. There has been a lot of discussion about the QDJM that has largely been negative. 

If any of you reading this have been awarded one, I hope you are wearing it proudly for what it represents, as Mr. Campbell stated. Quite reasonably you may think it far less significant then your SSM or your GCS etc, but it is still a national award - and you were chosen to receive it, hopefully for good reason.

I am a civilian recipient of the QDJM, and received mine alongside some people who I know are hard working, selfless individuals who genuinely are proud of their country and community and were honoured for their contributions to same. In their case it was in no way an "attendance medal." I have heard of a few who received it that certainly made me wonder what fool gave them a medal. But they are a minority.

I believe that in the civvie world a great many of these medals are well deserved, even though the process is, admittedly, flawed. Some people who got one perhaps shouldn't have. However I think most have earned the recognition. (I won't speak to the military's process. I've been out for over 30 years so I know nothing about the current CF but what I read.)

It disturbs me to have the QDJM dismissed as generally worthless. I'm proud of my medal. I don't want to think of it as a dime store trinket. I'm proud that someone thought enough of me to award it.  I'm even more proud to be recognized alongside other recipients I know are worthy. Some have really made a difference, and I hope I have as well.

(On a more selfish note, medals were few and far between when I was in uniform, this is likely the only one I'll ever get! I think it looks darn good on my suit.  :))

Congrats!

Top Harper advisors included on list of Diamond Jubilee recipients
Glen McGregor
Ottawa Citizen
11 September 2013

Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s wife and several of his top advisors last year received Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee medals intended to recognize important contributions to Canada.

A database of recipients of the medal that was published this week lists Laureen Harper among the approximately 60,000 Canadians honoured for their contributions to the country.

Rideau Hall, which administers the award, refuses to say who gave medals to whom, but the Prime Minister’s office says Harper received her medal from Governor General David Johnston, “for her community work with various charities.”

Like all MPs, Harper’s husband also received a Diamond Jubilee medal commemorating the Queen’s 60 years on the throne.

Ray Novak, the prime minister’s chief of staff, and two of his predecessors in the top advisory job, Guy Giorno and Ian Brodie, also numbered among the recipients.

Dimitri Soudas, Harper’s former press secretary and director of communications, received a medal, too. Soudas left the PMO in 2011 and became communications director for the Canadian Olympic Committee.

The Citizen could find no examples of senior employees of the Liberal or NDP leaders’ offices receiving Diamond Jubilee medals.

To qualify for the medal, a recipient must have “made a significant contribution to Canada or to a particular province, territory, region or community, or has made an achievement abroad that brings credit to Canada.”

Giorno, who served as the PM’s top advisor from 2008 to the end of 2010, co-managed the Conservatives’ 2011 election campaign, along with Jenni Byrne, who also received the medal.

Giorno now practices public law with the firm Fasken Martineau. He did not respond to requests for comment.

Brodie served as chief of staff in the PMO from 2006 to 2008. He said in an email that he was chosen for the award by the Conference of Defence Associations, one of the “partner organizations” selected by the Department of Canadian Heritage to hand out 10,000 of the Diamond Jubilee medals to recipients they chose.

Brodie sits on the association’s board of directors.

Byrne was director of political operations for the Conservatives when she received the medal and recently moved to the PMO to become deputy chief of staff. News of Byrne’s Diamond Jubilee medal first surfaced last year, when a Conservative Party staff member posted a photograph of the certificate that accompanied it on Twitter. At the time, Byrne did not respond to a request for more information.

The medals were automatically awarded to all MPs, senators, and members of the Queen’s Privy Council, which includes many former Liberal cabinet ministers and prime ministers.

Current parliamentarians were each allotted 30 medals to hand out to whomever they chose. But because Rideau Hall won’t say who gave their medals to whom, these details are disclosed only voluntarily by the donors.

Last year, the Citizen asked all MPs for lists of people they gave medals. Many refused to provide them, referring inquiries back to the governor general’s office.

One Conservative MP, Maurice Vellacott, angered some last year when he gave two of his medals to two anti-abortion activists who had been criminally convicted for protesting outside Toronto abortion clinics. One was in jail at the time Vellacott sent her the award.

The data released this week show that abortion doctor Henry Morgentaler also received a medal from an unidentified nominator, before he died in May.

Other honours handed out by the governor general, such as the Order of Canada, are carefully screened by a selection committee, which weighs hundreds of nominations each year.

But the nominations for Diamond Jubilee medals were subject only to cursory vetting by Rideau Hall, to avoid duplication and ensure recipients were eligible — they must have been Canadian citizens or permanent residents and alive on February 6, 2012, the anniversary of the Queen’s accession to the throne.

The list of partner organizations includes industry lobby groups and even some politically active organizations, such as the socially-conservative REAL Women of Canada, which recently denounced Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird for speaking out against Russia’s retrograde law limiting the rights of gays and lesbians.

REAL Women declined to provide its list of medal recipients when the Citizen asked last year.

The database of recipients includes many public figures from the world of arts, sports, and broadcast media, including CBC newscaster Peter Mansbridge, author Margaret Atwood, and hockey players Sidney Crosby and Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky’s father Walter, and disgraced Olympic sprinter Ben Johnson are also on the list.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Harper+advisors+included+list+Diamond+Jubilee+recipients/8899944/story.html

While the optics aren't great (as if they ever are), personally I'm not too eager to jump on the PM's wife and some top advisors for getting the QDJM since I'm not in any position to say if any of them were not actively involved in community work and don't deserve it. (I say actively because I construe the criteria to mean more than my name on letterhead and attended a banquet / photo-op or two.)

On the other hand, I personally can't get behind the idea that as a group, owing to their position and nothing else, all MPs, Senators and members of the PC automatically qualify for one.

But that could just be me...

Back