• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

I'm now retired after 40 years of service. I was presented with the Queen's 50Th anniversary medal in 2002.  I sent it back to the Min of Def.  It's embarrassing that as a great  and proud independent nation we feel we need to honour a foreign monarch (yes, I know she is our Head of State, big deal, so what) by advertising a 60 year dictatorship.
While I'm at it.  I thought the Sacrifice Medal was long overdue but am saddened and embarrassed that the Sovereign is is profiled on the front of the medal.  I would have much preferred the observe (Vimy memorial) to face to the front.  Then again,  I guess we swore our oath to  the Queen and not to do our duty to our country so all my fine brothers and sisters who were killed or wounded in Afghanistan sacrificed their lives and bodies to the Queen.  Too bad neither she nor any members of her family had the decency to  attend any of the repatriation ceremonies.

dowadiddy said:
I'm now retired after 40 years of service. I was presented with the Queen's 50Th anniversary medal in 2002.  I sent it back to the Min of Def.  It's embarrassing that as a great  and proud independent nation we feel we need to honour a foreign monarch (yes, I know she is our Head of State, big deal, so what) by advertising a 60 year dictatorship.
While I'm at it.  I thought the Sacrifice Medal was long overdue but am saddened and embarrassed that the Sovereign is is profiled on the front of the medal.  I would have much preferred the observe (Vimy memorial) to face to the front.  Then again,  I guess we swore our oath to  the Queen and not to do our duty to our country so all my fine brothers and sisters who were killed or wounded in Afghanistan sacrificed their lives and bodies to the Queen.  Too bad neither she nor any members of her family had the decency to  attend any of the repatriation ceremonies.

:boring:

dowadiddy said:

Classy.

dowadiddy said:

So after 40 years of service you truly believe that you swore an oath to the Queen as an individual?  LOL.  Wow.  You really don't understand what you swore an oath to do you?

Well, if I'm going to the bar, I'll have what he's having.... :blotto:

dowadiddy said:

dowadiddy said:
You've lost 2 years of service somewhere....
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/94678/post-1002934.html#msg1002934

dowadiddy,
                  Have you noticed a trend since your post ?

diddly doo dah  lol

dowadiddy said:

If this really is your understanding of our system of government, you can save yourself a lot of grief by doing some reading on how a constitutional monarchy really works.

dowadiddy said:

Clearly you conflate the Queen with the Crown. The Queen is a person, the Crown is the people (but also much more). While the Queen is mortal, the Crown is not. In Canada, the people and their country are represented by the Crown, the office held by the Queen (for the simplest explanation).

Wow. To think he spent the last 38 or 40 years, serving, yet gritting his teeth the whole time.  And he had it wrong all along.

SeaKingTacco said:
Wow. To think he spent the last 38 or 40 years, serving, yet gritting his teeth the whole time.  And he had it wrong all along.

And not only that he had no issues serving and swearing allegiance to what he considers a dictator.... ::)

Crantor said:
And not only that he had no issues serving and swearing allegiance to what he considers a dictator.... ::)

...or collecting the paycheck.

I wonder if he's the "officer" that refused to stand or acknowledge the Loyal Toasts at the mess dinners at RMC...I put the quotes around officer because someone that would blatantly disregard their commissioning oath like that should actually be required to relinquish said commission.  But that's just the ex-WO in me talking I guess.

MM

Crantor said:
So after 40 years of service you truly believe that you swore an oath to the Queen as an individual?  LOL.  Wow.  You really don't understand what you swore an oath to do you?

The words of the oath are crystal clear (.....true allegiance to Queen Elizabeth, the Second, Queen of Canada.....) Maybe you are suggesting that the oath means duty, honour, integrity, courage. loyalty all to the CF and to the ideals of Canada.  Well, that is not what the WORDS, the written words, say.  I paraphrase the oath to mean unswerving loyalty to a named and well known famous person who lives in the UK and who has some vague connection to Canada.

Do I notice a trend in response to my post?  Yes, sadly I have.  I cannot understand why Canadians, closely associated with the CF (I assume you all are) do not put  loyalty and allegiance to your beautiful country and its great armed forces above everything else.  But I guess we need a bauble recognizing someones anniversary to  give us pride. 

Have I confused the terms  "Queen" and "Crown"?  I don't know and I don't care.  I'm not a constitutional expert.  All I know is that this overwhelming deference to and fawning over an individual or symbol (King, Queen or Crown or constitutional monarchy) just makes me want to scream.  All I know is I love my country and question why the ideals of Canada and what it represents (and medals) can't be given  precedence. 

Did I cringe and bite my tongue when I swore the oath many years ago?  Yes,  I admit it.  I have done things I am not proud of.  All I wanted to be then was a member of the best armed forces in the world - The Cdn Forces.  I held my tongue during that time and tried to do the best job I could to represent my country.  I didn't bring up the subject because the job was more important; and well, the NDA in effect says that it is a crime to make disloyal statements about the Crown or Queen.  You don't know who you can trust. 

No, the Queen is not a dictator.....not in that sense.  Grow up.

Are you suggesting that I should be ashamed of my paycheque/pension or collected them under false pretenses?  Well, well, well. I guess we really do live in a constitutional monarchy and not a democracy after all.  In a democracy you have freedom of religion, political viewpoints, race, gender.  In a democracy, employers cannot discriminate based upon those things.  My friend, are you saying that because I believe in the ideals of Canada that I do not deserve to be compensated for serving my country instead of the Crown?  I'm loyal to my country and place it above any other vague symbol.  By your admission, it appears that you do not share that same loyalty to your country.  I feel sorry for you.  Sir Walter Scott was not a republican, as far as I know but he was Scottish which says a lot and I know how I would like to interpret: "Breaths there  a man with soul so dead who never to himself hath said, This is my own, my native land....."

dowadiddy said:
...Well, well, well. I guess we really do live in a constitutional monarchy and not a democracy after all...

Your whole last paragraph makes no sense after this sentence because, guess what, we DO live in a constitutional monarchy, not a pure democracy.  If you thought otherwise then you weren't paying attention during history class.

Don't bother feeling sorry for me.  I actually know what a constitutional monarchy is all about and what our oath actually means, both the words as well as the symbolism of the crown and what it it means.  Heck just google Oath of Allegiance Canada and you might learn something about how it all works.  And you seem so hung up on the actual words "crytal clear" and all and felt the need to tell me to grow up about you saying the queen being a dictator for the last 60 years.  Your words seemed pretty clear to me.  And I'm not sure what democracy and or constitutional monarchy has to do with your hypocrisy.  You claim to have served Canada and it's values.  Just go look at what the Crown actually represents and get back to us...

Back