• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quebec outlaws military surplus vehicles from provincial highways.

my72jeep

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Quebec goes full stupid. Provence bans most military surplus vehicles from all but secondarily roads.
https://www.journaldequebec.com/2019/08/17/des-proprietaires-frustres-par-les-nouvelles-restrictions?fbclid=IwAR0IZyTc1hgFs82DRoUUn0NQR2rXiMRGG0Paj_Tj-h5ZkKZkgLNcyZW9A-U

Quebec wants only the fastest most destructive vehicles on their highways I guess.

My French may not be up to snuff but the first paragraph looks like it says only vehicles with a speed of 70 km/h or less. Makes sense to me to not have them on roads rated 80 km/h or higher.

:dunno:

Courtesy of my translation program:

Owners frustrated by new restrictions

The SAAQ modifies as of August 22 the registration of vehicles of the military type

Jean-François Racine
Jean-François Racine
Saturday, August 17, 2019 00:00 UPDATE Saturday, August 17, 2019 00:00

Hundreds of military-type vehicle owners are furious with the SAAQ, which wants to restrict their use on the road network as of August 22.

The Société de l 'assurance automobile du Québec has decided to limit the use of these vehicles on public roads where the speed limit is equal to or less than 70 km / h. They will be able to cross at a right angle a road where the limit is higher, but they will now be banned from highways, as well as on provincial roads where the limit is 90 km / h.

'It's beautiful and it's fun to drive. But I will not be able to go to work, take bridges, or go to Orleans Island. And how to sell it then? 'Wonders Valérie Marier.

To justify this, the SAAQ assures the owners 'that it has received confirmation that their manufacturer or importer has restricted the use of these for off-road use'.

Angry

This new measure provokes anger and misunderstanding since most of these vehicles have already been mechanically verified and registration fees paid.

Owners will now have to go to a service point to receive a new license plate and a new certificate for each of the vehicles, 'without administrative fees,' says the letter sent by the SAAQ.

In the middle of summer, Transport Minister François Bonnardel signed a ministerial decree to this effect. The SAAQ stipulates that after August 22, failing to regularize the situation, the vehicles will not be able to circulate without further notice, and the drivers will be liable to a fine.

Time too short

'They do it in a very short time and they can not explain why. I have one that was inspected last year and it complies with their requirements. There is nothing dangerous. I took several years to restore it, 'says Philippe Raymond. According to him, there would be about 1500 disgruntled owners. The SAAQ is talking about 550 vehicles.

Although a request for a written review is possible, Mr. Raymond chose to send a formal notice to the government, in addition to turning to the Protecteur du citoyen. 'We searched far enough seriously for official documents that say these vehicles were designed for the road,' adds the passionate mechanic.

A vested right

Philippe Raymond does not protest against modifying the rules for future vehicles, but he would like to retain an 'acquired' right, granted in good standing according to the SAAQ rules.

'It does not make sense. It's made Soviet. There is someone at the SAAQ who wants to push that to the end to justify his salary, 'added Vincent Simard, frustratedly, at the head of a company that makes restoration of military-type vehicles like Humvee. The latter could lose several customers in Quebec.

Without advancing on the security side, the spokesman for the SAAQ evokes for its part new information on these vehicles 'off-road', information hitherto unknown to the government.

Some form of tolerance could be exercised after August 22 to allow everyone to comply with the requirements.
The vehicles

must have been mechanically verified;
    must have a number plate bearing the prefix 'C';
    must not be equipped with a turret or weapon anchoring system.

Back