• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

QOR Para Coy & parachute tasking reserve sub-units

• Thread starter fortuncookie5084
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Naturally reservists could never match the training program or intensity of the Regular force, such is the nature of the reserves

Credit where credit is due... indeed.

I would first like to point out the often, and accurately so, disparging treatment that the "nature of the reserves" garners, though not so in this medium due to the "nature" of so many of the participants.

That a militia unit even has maroon berets, and sucks up perfectly good jump positions, pay and aircraft from the regular force - that is, those who do it for more than a hobby - is a travesty.

The fact that you have a maroon beret is a slap in the face to those of us who labored for several years - full time - not just tuesday nights to earn a position.

Dont confuse yourself with the soldier - citizens - not the other way around, who do this job full time - and who have to show up every day. If you want to call yourself a paratrooper - come up from the minor leagues and sign up for the big time - but dont tell me you earned what you have.

Also - I have yet to meet one of you big talkers in person - everyone has alot to say in defence of the casual army when they are online, but when a few show up for exercise GD, they clam up pretty quick.

If you feel the need to reply - ask yourself - would you say the same thing to a PI in Trenton - if so - give'er - if not - sum up.

GO!!! said:
Naturally reservists could never match the training program or intensity of the Regular force, such is the nature of the reserves

I would first like to point out the often, and accurately so, disparging treatment that the "nature of the reserves" garners, though not so in this medium due to the "nature" of so many of the participants.

That a militia unit even has maroon berets, and sucks up perfectly good jump positions, pay and aircraft from the regular force - that is, those who do it for more than a hobby - is a travesty.

The fact that you have a maroon beret is a slap in the face to those of us who labored for several years - full time - not just tuesday nights to earn a position.

Dont confuse yourself with the soldier - citizens - not the other way around, who do this job full time - and who have to show up every day. If you want to call yourself a paratrooper - come up from the minor leagues and sign up for the big time - but dont tell me you earned what you have.

Also - I have yet to meet one of you big talkers in person - everyone has alot to say in defence of the casual army when they are online, but when a few show up for exercise GD, they clam up pretty quick.

If you feel the need to reply - ask yourself - would you say the same thing to a PI in Trenton - if so - give'er - if not - sum up.

Wow, helmets on for the RegF vs PRes flame war!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess... but you know what they say about opinions...

Wow, all this over a hat.

Go Team!

Um ... er ... well ... Ya know what ... ?
The expression "hoisted by your own petard" comes to mind ...

GO!!! said:
Your best asset to go places in the Army is a positive attitude. No - one wants to employ or work with an arrogant complainer.

The fat lady has sung.

For those that are dying to get on a jump course, since no one has mentioned it, unless things have changed, and IIRC, there is only one version of the Basic Para course: QOR Riflemen went to the Reg. Force jump school.  For guys that CT'd to the Reg. Force, the course counted (unlike most of the other Militia courses).  I would think that this would help you get posted to a 3rd Batallion after your SQ/MOC training (but what do I know).

Of course I wouldn't want to be the guy showing up for for his first day of BMQ with a maroon beret!!!!  :skull:

Maroon berets come off and geen one go back on when an individual leaves the parachute tasked unit/sub-unit.   So, nobody need fear arriving for BMQ in a maroon beret while posted on the BTL.

LOL Infanteer, I nearly spit out my iced tea all over the computer....

Bhahaha...

GO!!! said:

Now I can never hope to be para-qualified... shoulder wouldn't like it so much, so this is just a small defence for us res folk...

Why the big kick to us anyways? I know at least one very nice and very CAPABLE para-qualified Sgt. that I'm sure if he felt like it, could roll with the reg boys any day of the week.

Fine, fine,

If my job was so easy that any militia sgt could do it, I'm sure that there would be no shortage of qualified pers to fill the empty jump positions in my coy.

The fact of the matter is that there are shortages of healthy(not broken), qualified pers.

SO. If you are so intent on telling me that this is nothing but a "kick" bear in mind that there are former reservists in the regs - and in the Para Coy. The ones I know are very good soldiers. But when you ask them about their res "experience" they laugh and roll their eyes.

I speak from my experiences, not some pre - concieved notion, and if you still think I'm wrong, then put your $ where your mouth is and join. I guarantee that you will see the reserves in a different light once you have worked in the full time army for even a year with an operational unit.

If you are'nt prepared to join, form up with the other chairborne coffeemandos and armchair general my job at will - but do it quietly, I have work to do.

GO!!! said:
Fine, fine,

If my job was so easy that any militia sgt could do it, I'm sure that there would be no shortage of qualified pers to fill the empty jump positions in my coy.

The fact of the matter is that there are shortages of healthy(not broken), qualified pers.

SO. If you are so intent on telling me that this is nothing but a "kick" bear in mind that there are former reservists in the regs - and in the Para Coy. The ones I know are very good soldiers. But when you ask them about their res "experience" they laugh and roll their eyes.

I speak from my experiences, not some pre - concieved notion, and if you still think I'm wrong, then put your $ where your mouth is and join. I guarantee that you will see the reserves in a different light once you have worked in the full time army for even a year with an operational unit.

If you are'nt prepared to join, form up with the other chairborne coffeemandos and armchair general my job at will - but do it quietly, I have work to do.

agreed, 100%, as a former mo' man turned regular i know what it is like to be in both, and i gotta say, the mo is a cake walk. i didnt know what the army was until i joined the regulars, because the army is not something that can be understood one night a week and one weekend a month.
all this talk about a maroon beret just being a hat..... obviously you dont have one. tell ya what, go tell that to some of the old boys down at the legion and see how much they like your opinion.  it is something that is not just given out, you need to earn it everyday you put it on.

Probably time to lock this up - if the Reserve Force is a "cakewalk" compared to the Regular Force, perhaps you gentlemen need to

a) try and understand why we have a Reserve Force
b) come up with some specific criticisms in order to be taken seriously

If the Reserve Force was able to train five days a week, guess what - it would be the Regular Force!

I'm not seeing much understanding from GO!!! of what the Reserve Force is supposed to do. Did you have some specific suggestions as to the type of training they should be doing, and results they should be achieving?  That might be constructive.

GO!: I personally met a kid with less than 6 months TI who had a cadet para course and the moment he finished battle school, was put into a hard jump position, and was wearing a maroon beret. He was a complete tool, and was a c*cky bugger who thought he was God's gift to the military. I would FAR rather serve with a reserve Sgt with 20 years TI and several tours (not to mention a few hundred jumps under his belt) any day of the week than trust my life to some punk kid with a chip on his shoulder.

The QOR get to jump as often as they do because they are within a stone's throw of Trenton. The logistics make a lot of sense since all the Hercs and the entire training facility is located there. Despite all this, the Reg Force units with hard para positions still get first pick at every course, except the one cadet serial run every year... and you made no mention of having cadets on the course you revere so highly.

These reservists are not taking anything away from you or your unit, so I wonder why you feel so threatened by them.

Not threatened by reservists, just frustrated that those who dont put the hard miles in get the BBQ at the end.

As for your mo' Sgt, 20 yrs TI is not really that, is it? How many days a year did he work? 20, maybe? So he actually might have 2 or three years - at the outside, unless he was regular at some point. As for all of the Class B and C, I'm sorry, but time in the BOR and range control just is'nt the same as 20 years of getting up at 0630 for PT - year round and going on EVERY ex, even if you dont want to.

As for the punk kid with a chip on his shoulder, he joined - all the way, you did'nt. He's already better.We can work with someone cocky, maybe even give him a reason to act differently, because he can be improved every day. You can't. You can only be improved nominally on the days that you choose to show up. In addition - guys like that often just need some good hard soldiering to know what it's all about - ever done a two week light patrol ex after jumping in? did'nt thik so. That kid probably has, and now at least he has a reason to be cocky.

The reg force is tougher than the reserves shit is pretty old guys.  Comparing one for one is just dumb. Infantry can outsection attack cooks. Of course they can. Read the boards and you'll probably see 99% of the people agree that the reserves are not on par with the regular force. Why do some feel  the need to point out how much 'better' the regular force is than the reserves? People with a head on their shoulder know the score, why not leave it at that.

As for the maroon beret being just a hat. I don't think it's about people trying to take away from the respect and honour of the maroon beret or saying it's an easy course. It seems (personally atleast) it's more about pointing out that some soldiers feel wearing a maroon beret is the be all end all of being a soldier.  I think cadets and reservists sometimes think wearing a maroon makes them look a lot better than they actually perform. They think wearing jump wings makes them a better soldier, when it doesn't. I figure there is a huge difference between having a pair of jump wings and being in a regular force jump company.  Jump companies are going to attract a lot of good troops, and some doorknobs too.

Not threatened by reservists, just frustrated that those who dont put the hard miles in get the BBQ at the end.

Can this be said for the whole army? The trades that make it to the BBQ first are usually the ones who remained dry the whole ex.

GO!!! said:
As for the punk kid with a chip on his shoulder, he joined - all the way, you did'nt. He's already better.
GO!!!,
Your tone and suggestion that reservists are lesser people is crossing the line.  I suggest you revist the site conduct guidelines.  Some of your points may be valid, but your presentation sucks.
Mike Bobbitt said:
Expectation of Respect between Users

All visitors, regardless of age, rank or experience are to be treated as equal unless their conduct dictates otherwise. That means the veteran servicemember and the green private are to assume that they have as much to benefit from the other as they have to offer the other until a reason to contrary is made known. Age, nor number of years excuses anyone from behaving in a manner that isn't civil and polite.

Posting to the Boards

You are responsible for everything that you post and the tone in which it is posted.

Teamwork is all about attitude, my friends (I've been on both sides of the fence, before I get flamed for being a "one-day-a-week" guy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back