• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

QL3's

TTGap,
Glad that things are going well for you and that the process has been moving ahead at a reasonnable clip.
The CMD module shouldn't be much of a problem - and then you won't be far off from being elevated to the lofty heights of Corporal ;)

Any idea which CER they are sending you to?

geo said:
Any idea which CER they are sending you to?

No! and whilst I'm not complaining about the process being sped up for me, and am very grateful for some help I received via this website, all I know at the moment is I will probably have to report first to Gagetown, complete the CMD phase, and only then receive a posting order for a CER. But hey, better than waiting 3 years for a pre-sec!!!

Try the following search terms
- QL3 Engineer
- 043 QL3
- Engineer Section Member Course

practice knot tying. some knots are: bowline, double bowline, sheet bend, double sheet bend, fisherman's bend, bowline on a bight, round turn and two half hitches.

learn the sapper's creed and engineer's prayer. you find them by searching google or just wait till you get to pat platoon and ask for one. you'll have plenty of time to study them on pat.

that should put you way ahead.

bluecollared said:
practice knot tying. some knots are: bowline, double bowline, sheet bend, double sheet bend, fisherman's bend, bowline on a bight, round turn and two half hitches.

learn the sapper's creed and engineer's prayer. you find them by searching google or just wait till you get to pat platoon and ask for one. you'll have plenty of time to study them on pat.

that should put you way ahead.

I'm pretty sure that as a Lance Corporal in the Royal Engineers, he knows his knots ;)

I would hazard to guess you won't be spending time in PAT Pl. as waiting for a 3 week CMD portion doesn't really qualify as Awaiting (basic trade) Training. Even though the college of knowledge holds the reigns on CMD, it would make much more sense to be posted to a CER and then attend the next CMD course when it becomes available. To me, it just seems pointless to spend time marking time in PAT Pl. because you're missing basic ordnance recognition and disposal, when you could be employed to your capabilities in a CER while waiting on a course that is infrequently run outside of the career courses it's part of.

FWIW, I've been at this for a couple years, and I still don't have the CMD conversion (I did BMD when it first came out, but apparently it's no longer pertinent because they didn't cover 20 or 30 extra pieces of ordnance  ::) ) and I've had no issues taking care of business on operations when freedom of movement issues arose due to an errant piece of ordnance lying on the side of the road. Besides, if that conventional munition is something that a Fd Sect. cannot take care of with a BIP, that is where the HB operators come in :)

Heh...
I would imagine that TTGap will, at the very least, be put thru his paces within the ESR or CFSME while awaiting his course.

A certain "Old Fart" currently at CFSME was, until last year, attached tothe Brit Army.  TTGap won't sit on his laurels too long - Idle hands do the work of the devil after all :)

geo said:
A certain "Old Fart" currently at CFSME was, until last year, attached tothe Brit Army. 

I think I know who you mean...An ex-ranker Capt????

geo said:
TTGap won't sit on his laurels too long - Idle hands do the work of the devil after all :)

More than happy to dive straight into anything. Obviously the ideal would be straight to a CER to carry on as before, however, when I think objectively about it, SOME time in the training system is not the end of the world, I can use any spare time I get to familiarise myself with the kit and drills. As we all know, it's all the same thing ie an MGB bottom panel is heavy in either army, but there are those little differences that would be useful to learn prior to field army employment!

Thanks again for all the help and advice! Will keep you all posted when I next hear back from the CFRC.

Ex ranker Capt?... yup that's the "old fart"
Given that Gagetown houses both 4ESR and CFSME, you will have plenty of things to keep you busy. 

bluecollared said:

The sappers creed: is that an American thing? I did a google search on it and only came up with:

"I am a Sapper,

The cutting edge of my country's sword.

I will always endeavor to complete my Sapper mission, regardless of available assets.

My flexibility and special training shall provide my task force with a tool to overcome insurmountable odds.

I realize that I will be called upon for my expertise in all aspects of mobility, counter mobility and survivability.

The failure to effectively accomplish my mission could cost the lives of others.

I will set the example by keeping myself physically fit and mentally tough.

I will strive to sharpen my Sapper skills, and the skills of those I support.

SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY!!!"

Is this the Sappers Creed that I need to know? Or is there a different one?

I always thought it was

I am, I am, I am an engineer.
I can, I can, I can demolish 40 beers.

Shamrock said:
I always thought it was

I am, I am, I am an engineer.
I can, I can, I can demolish 40 beers.

try again armour boy.....

We are, we are, we are, we are, we are the engineers

We can, we can, we can, we can demolish 40 beers

Drink rum, drink rum, drink rum, drink rum and come along with us

For we dont give a damn for any old man who dont give a damn for us

CDN Aviator said:
try again armour boy.....

We are, we are, we are, we are, we are the engineers

We can, we can, we can, we can demolish 40 beers

Drink rum, drink rum, drink rum, drink rum and come along with us

For we dont give a damn for any old man who dont give a damn for us

Thank God you cleared that up. 

Dog said:
I'm heading off to my 3's this summer and am curious as to what it is that I'll be learning on this course, what to expect, what to brush up on, and familiarize myself with in advance.... I've done a few searches and have come up dry.

If there's a lesson plan I can get my hands on that would be great.

I realize that you probably have already completed Section Member Part 1 by now and maybe Part 2 but if you still want to know what is on the courses feel free to pm me and I will give you the main topic covered.

I'm about to CT to Combat Engineer in 2-3 weeks and am going straight to QL3 (Sept or Oct Course hopefully).
I was wondering if someone could send me a sample course schedule? PM me and I can provide my forces email.

CombatMP265 said:
I'm about to CT to Combat Engineer in 2-3 weeks and am going straight to QL3 (Sept or Oct Course hopefully).
I was wondering if someone could send me a sample course schedule? PM me and I can provide my forces email.

You will be getting one in 2-3 weeks.  A copy of your course's entire schedule will be provided to your course senior on day 1

;D

CombatMP265 said:
But I'd like to prepare outside of the gym too  :(

There isnt much you ca prepare for other than being physicaly fit.......the QL3 is a physicaly demanding course, they teach you the rest

Run, do pushups and situps.  Improving your cardio and endurance is good
Don't do something stupid - pushing yourlsef too long, too far & injuring yourself
Prepare yourself, get good nutrition & lots of sleep.

Back