• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Putting on weight

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll continue to exercise, eat better, and get some protein supplement. I'll update this if/when I hit 130 lbs :)

Danke said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll continue to exercise, eat better, and get some protein supplement. I'll update this if/when I hit 130 lbs :)

Goodluck and the best piece of advice given is....

The bottom line is that if you struggle with putting on weight, it's going to take a serious mental shift to make any real difference. There are very few quick and easy solutions to a lifestyle change.

Stay away from that frozen shit :p

Be ready to lose it all really quick when you get on course though :p

I was the same way before I joined, I was 6'4 175lbs and went on a diet/gym plan nearing the end of high school and got up to 205lbs. I lost 40lbs during BMQ, then got back up to 200lbs on PAT then lost 30lbs during SQ/DP1.

Depending on which course you get on, meal timings/PT/Sleep and the field can mess your goals up big time.

TS, I'm just going to put a couple ideas out here. There have been some great suggestions in this thread already.

- Eat the whole egg. I see some recommendations of just whites or a certain number of whites and certain number of yolks. Eat the whole egg.

- Snack on calorically dense foods. One great snack food is almonds.

- Drink whole milk. You say you are lactose intolerant. Isn't there medication you can get to make you tolerate it better? I've read posts by people who are LI still drinking a ton of homogenized milk.

- If your favorite appliance isn't your blender, it should be. Shakes are the easiest way to get a ton of calories down with feeling like you've just forced your way through a 10 course meal. Homogenized milk, yogurt, olive oil, powdered milk, oats, ice cream, fruit, a scoop of protein and maybe even those left over veggies from last night. Couple that with a handful of almonds and you're set.

- Eat everything. You weigh 125 lbs. Please do not be concerned about eating clean or getting fat. Eat when you should and when you know you have to, not when you feel like it. I rarely get hungry anymore. I just eat. You know why those kids in the gym who say they're trying to get bigger and say they "just can't" even though they "eat so much/everything/all the time" don't get bigger? Because they aren't eating enough.

- Personally, I try and eat every four hours. I'm not sure why, to be honest. I read it somewhere and it just makes sense because that seems to be about the point I start getting hungry. I'm not sure if there's any significance, physiologically speaking.

Of course, all of the above is contingent on your lifting weights. That alone will increase your appetite. Also (obviously) if you want to get bigger, you need to lift weights. Body weight exercises won't cut it. You say "exercise" never worked for you before. What were you doing? Were you lifting weights? What did your program look like? Were you consistent? Although if you're doing it right, you should start to see results quite quickly, getting big and strong doesn't take weeks or months. It takes years.

You say you'll update us when you hit 130 lbs. If you're doing it right with the lifting and eating, you should be updating us in about 1-2 weeks.

If you're serious about getting bigger and stronger, it will take commitment and consistency. Without one of those components, the wheels will fall of and you will get no where. That's just the way it goes.

People will always tell you what you should be eating with regards to your macro ratio and all that garbage. They will also attempt push the latest Muscle Mag routine written by some idiot in a cubicle on you, or explain how it's the best thing ever and how you should try it. You combat this by educating yourself, knowing what's right and going out and getting the results.

The best way to put on weight is, by far using a GOMAD and heavy lifting approach. GOMAD ( Gallon of Milk a day) plus normal meals will put serious pounds on! I used it and put on 12lbs in 11days. I did stop b/c I was sick of milk but continued through with the rest of my squat program.

That is the other point: The human body responds to the stress put upon it. You have to drop the heavy cardio volume and focus on moving lots of Iron. Now, I didn't say STOP running or biking or swimming, just use it to get a sweat on/get the heart rate up etc.

Someone mentioned Starting Strength and I am 110% for this! Linear progression works awesome and this is what you need. If you are not interested in a full program there are others that can get you there, BUT the squatting is key! Doing bench&bi's the whole time leaves you pretty nonfunctional. Squatting will transfer over to important things like ruck marches and section attacks more than the B&B( although running will suck for a bit after finishing). Google Russian squat program, when I used it I added 40lbs to my back squat which was well over the 5%( almost 9% for me) the program is designed for.

You said you are Lactose intolerant? Tough cookie but ways around it; 1) there is Lactose-free milk out there that will get you the extra calories that you need. Can't do it with the werido-milk? next step in whole coconut milk! Don't know how much a gallon of coconut milk will cost but it has lots of good fats, high calorie and tastes good. The last step would be synthetic proteins; the stuff that is powdered for you, easily mixes etc.
This is IMHO. What works for me might not work for you. Try it and find out!
JC

Jc066 said:
The best way to put on weight is, by far using a GOMAD and heavy lifting approach. GOMAD ( Gallon of Milk a day) plus normal meals will put serious pounds on! I used it and put on 12lbs in 11days. I did stop b/c I was sick of milk but continued through with the rest of my squat program.

That is the other point: The human body responds to the stress put upon it. You have to drop the heavy cardio volume and focus on moving lots of Iron. Now, I didn't say STOP running or biking or swimming, just use it to get a sweat on/get the heart rate up etc.

Someone mentioned Starting Strength and I am 110% for this! Linear progression works awesome and this is what you need. If you are not interested in a full program there are others that can get you there, BUT the squatting is key! Doing bench&bi's the whole time leaves you pretty nonfunctional. Squatting will transfer over to important things like ruck marches and section attacks more than the B&B( although running will suck for a bit after finishing). Google Russian squat program, when I used it I added 40lbs to my back squat which was well over the 5%( almost 9% for me) the program is designed for.

You said you are Lactose intolerant? Tough cookie but ways around it; 1) there is Lactose-free milk out there that will get you the extra calories that you need. Can't do it with the werido-milk? next step in whole coconut milk! Don't know how much a gallon of coconut milk will cost but it has lots of good fats, high calorie and tastes good. The last step would be synthetic proteins; the stuff that is powdered for you, easily mixes etc.
This is IMHO. What works for me might not work for you. Try it and find out!
JC

Generally good advice, but:

The Russian Squat Routine is a specialized squat routine. There's no reason for a beginner strength trainee to do it. That would be akin to advising a beginner to do Smolov. You say you added 40 lbs to your squat? What were your starting and finishing 1RMs? If you start with a relatively low 1RM, of course you can expect to add a lot more weight than if you start with a much higher 1RM. Adding 5% to a 500 lb squat is a lot harder than adding 5% to a 350 lb squat. Even so, it is not unheard of for experienced lifters to add a lot of weight doing a program like Smolov, but it is a specialized routine that a beginner has no business doing.

Protein powder isn't a replacement for drinking milk.

Danke said:
I was wondering if anyone had some advice for putting on weight before my medical. I'm 22, male, about 5'9", 125 lbs right now, and I've never been heavier. I'm hoping that my training for the fitness exam will fill me out a bit, but exercise has never worked for me before  :-\

Any tips?

Also look into what your exercise consists of. If you're doing it right, as well as eating right, there's no reason why it wouldn't "work".

Workout (if an option), then proceed to mcdonalds and order the most fattening burger, with chocolate milk. Worked for my cousin, but he turned out bulky after a couple of months.

Nauticus said:
Also look into what your exercise consists of. If you're doing it right, as well as eating right, there's no reason why it wouldn't "work".

Most people don't know how to lift weights right. That's the biggest problem, and why it doesn't work. Cue frustration, which then leads to cessation.

ConradJon said:
Workout (if an option), then proceed to mcdonalds and order the most fattening burger, with chocolate milk. Worked for my cousin, but he turned out bulky after a couple of months.

Thank you for gracing us with your brilliance.

By "bulky" do you mean completely fat?

No I do not mean completely fat, just into a heavier Johnny Bravo physique. Of course, if you would prefer to do it the more healthy way, 6 meals a day with lots of meat, and a protein shake after workouts.

ConradJon said:
No I do not mean completely fat, just into a heavier Johnny Bravo physique. Of course, if you would prefer to do it the more healthy way, 6 meals a day with lots of meat, and a protein shake after workouts.

You don't need to eat six meals a day, nor do you need to consume protein shakes PWO.

Eating many smaller meals is meant to keep your metabolism high, something that someone looking to gain weight probably isn't concerned with and would actually be counter-productive to their goal.

If someone is looking to gain weight, they'd likely want to eat fewer, larger meals. But, really, who cares? They just need to eat more.

Hambo said:
Most people don't know how to lift weights right. That's the biggest problem, and why it doesn't work. Cue frustration, which then leads to cessation.

Thank you for gracing us with your brilliance.By "bulky" do you mean completely fat?

Watch the attitude.

As well, we won't be turning this into another Charles Atlas "My training regime is better than your's" thread. You have your own internet forums for that. We are not going down that road again so soon after the last couple of debacles.

You weight lifters\ body builders\ muscle sculpters\ bulker uppers just have to learn to agree to disagree with each other.

Milnet.ca Staff

Thanks for the advice everyone. A lot of great stuff here.

I've been focusing on eating bigger meals; I measured my caloric intake and found out that a day of eating whenever I'm hungry gives me fewer than what is recommended. So I'm taking double servings of everything and eating even when I'm not hungry, since it's not a reliable metric for me.

I bought some protein powder, and found some digestive pills with lactase which seem to be working for the lactose intolerance thing.

I've got some freeweights ranging from 8-30 lbs. I tend to stick to the 8-pounders because my upper body strength is really lacking. I'll try some squats with the heavier stuff. I'm not doing any running for a few days; tweaked the outside of my left knee when I was skating, or swimming, or something. No symptoms any more, but I don't want to aggravate it.

Danke said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. A lot of great stuff here.

I've been focusing on eating bigger meals; I measured my caloric intake and found out that a day of eating whenever I'm hungry gives me fewer than what is recommended. So I'm taking double servings of everything and eating even when I'm not hungry, since it's not a reliable metric for me.

I bought some protein powder, and found some digestive pills with lactase which seem to be working for the lactose intolerance thing.

I've got some freeweights ranging from 8-30 lbs. I tend to stick to the 8-pounders because my upper body strength is really lacking. I'll try some squats with the heavier stuff. I'm not doing any running for a few days; tweaked the outside of my left knee when I was skating, or swimming, or something. No symptoms any more, but I don't want to aggravate it.

Good to hear. When you first start, eating a lot can be quite difficult, but you get used to it and your appetite/body adjusts accordingly.

On the lifting side, 8-30 lb dumbbells is not going to be enough. If possible, you should get a gym membership and start working on things like back squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bent over rows and chin ups. If you need to use just the bar starting out, then so be it, but if you're looking to gain quality mass and strength, you're going to need a barbell.

If have any more questions, just post them.

I used to weigh 115 pounds at 6"0, I'm now at 170ish and gaining; this is what I've been doing:

Train using the 5x5 workout (5 sets of 5 reps) on the bench press, squat, and deadlift. Once you can lift a weight for the full 25 reps for 2 consecutive workouts add another 10 pounds on. Don't train heavy on the weights for more that 3-4 days a week or you'll start going downhill.
NOTE: USE PROPER FORM! If you don't know it then ask someone at the gym, seriously.

Eat ridiculous amounts of food; I'm talking about 4000-5000 calories a day. At least 200 grams of protein a day. Make sure its all healthy whole food. Eat a few servings of meat a day; New York Steaks, tuna, chicken, a dozen eggs.. just make sure that there is a lot of meat. Also, eat even more carbs; a box of spaghetti a day type thing (I can buy a box of spaghetti for $1.30 and it'll give me 1800 calories). Make sure there is healthy fat thrown in there somewhere. To get in this much food, you're going to have to eat more than 3x a day, try 5-7x (yes it will speed up your metabolism but you'll outrun it).

Sleep for 8-10 hours EVERY night. This is the time when your body actually gains weight by re-building the muscle that your previous workout tore apart; sleep is much more important than most people make it out to be when they're trying to put on pounds.

If this doesn't work, you have a tapeworm or something.

IsraelC said:
Eat a few servings of meat a day; New York Steaks, tuna, chicken, a dozen eggs.. just make sure that there is a lot of meat.

Sirloin won't suffice?

IsraelC said:
I used to weigh 115 pounds at 6"0, I'm now at 170ish and gaining; this is what I've been doing:

Train using the 5x5 workout (5 sets of 5 reps) on the bench press, squat, and deadlift. Once you can lift a weight for the full 25 reps for 2 consecutive workouts add another 10 pounds on. Don't train heavy on the weights for more that 3-4 days a week or you'll start going downhill.
NOTE: USE PROPER FORM! If you don't know it then ask someone at the gym, seriously.

Eat ridiculous amounts of food; I'm talking about 4000-5000 calories a day. At least 200 grams of protein a day. Make sure its all healthy whole food. Eat a few servings of meat a day; New York Steaks, tuna, chicken, a dozen eggs.. just make sure that there is a lot of meat. Also, eat even more carbs; a box of spaghetti a day type thing (I can buy a box of spaghetti for $1.30 and it'll give me 1800 calories). Make sure there is healthy fat thrown in there somewhere. To get in this much food, you're going to have to eat more than 3x a day, try 5-7x (yes it will speed up your metabolism but you'll outrun it).

Sleep for 8-10 hours EVERY night. This is the time when your body actually gains weight by re-building the muscle that your previous workout tore apart; sleep is much more important than most people make it out to be when they're trying to put on pounds.

If this doesn't work, you have a tapeworm or something.

A guy weighing 125 lbs eating 4000-5000 calories a day is going to put on a substantial amount of fat.  That's between 32 and 40 cal/lb, which is almost double what any healthy "bulking" routine would require.  Most guys trying to put on muscle efficiently are going to run at around 20 cal/lb and still wind up putting on some fat.  At 5000 cal/day a 125 lb man would expect to put on around 5 lbs/week and the body is incapable of putting on 5 lbs of muscle a week.  Most studies suggest something in the neighbourhood of 0.5lbs/week of muscle is more realistic.  The remaining 4.5 lbs is going to be fat.

I eat about 4300 cal/day when I'm putting on weight, but I'm 210 lbs.  It gives me a reasonable amount of weight gain without a lot of fat gain (around 1 lb/week).

4000-5000 cal a day WoW  :eek:
I think Im a skinny female 5'5 120 and In order for me to gain weight and add mass to my upper body I have to have an intake of 2000-3000 cal a day.
I agree if your taking in to much your activity has to be such that your burning alot of it away.
Do you include running or any cardio to your workouts?
Carbs should be Brown rice, oats, whole wheat the other stuff is just starch. Nothing wrong wid the Mickey D diet to refuel I guess. Yogourt, salads, nuts,fish. lentils(beans) fruits lots of veggies. I case you have no idea what kind of diet these guys are talking about. Lots of protein is suppose to be the key.
Tried the eggs thing  :facepalm: my personal opinion. haha
Overall you have to plan your meals and eating the right amount.
Shake for breakfast (lactose intolerant I have opted for the protein shake), Yogourt snack, sandwich lunch, veggie snack, brown rice grilled chicken breast with veggies, nuts for snack SLEEP.
Water anyone and lots of it  ;D 
Style meals around your schedule.

Black Betty said:
4000-5000 cal a day WoW  :eek:
I think Im a skinny female 5'5 120 and In order for me to gain weight and add mass to my upper body I have to have an intake of 2000-3000 cal a day.
I agree if your taking in to much your activity has to be such that your burning alot of it away.
Do you include running or any cardio to your workouts?
Carbs should be Brown rice, oats, whole wheat the other stuff is just starch. Nothing wrong wid the Mickey D diet to refuel I guess. Yogourt, salads, nuts, lentils(beans) fruits lots of veggies. I case you have no idea what kind of diet these guys are talking about. Lots of protein is suppose to be the key.
Tried the eggs thing  :facepalm: my personal opinion. haha
Overall you have to plan your meals and eating the right amount.
Shake for breakfast (lactose intolerant I have opted for the protein shake), Yogourt snack, sandwich lunch, veggie snack, brown rice grilled chicken breast with veggies, nuts for snack SLEEP.
Water anyone and lots of it  ;D  
Style meals around your schedule.

Huh??? This thread is about putting on weight not losing it. Unless you're talking about a caesar salad with extra caesar and lots of chicken, bacon, and cheese.

Veggies and especially water are not going to help. Water has no calories and is filling... celery has negative calories. Niether is very ideal for somebody trying to up their protein and calories intake.

Joke right!

Salads are something to fill you granted LOVE ME SOME CAESAR SALAD ++
Water is required to help the body fluids and your Vitamins hello :nod: otherwise you need to be popping a lot of pills to get your Canadian Food Guide requirements in there.

Back