• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread

bms - I hope you keep us updated. would I like to see some sort of training logs of your platoons progress, if that is possible.

When doing push-ups, I also think a big part of reaching over the limit is muscle endurance-is the ability of the muscle to contract over and over during exercise. And Cardiovascular endurance- Is the ability of the heart, lungs, and circulatory system to deliver oxygen to the muscles to fuel further exercise and to carry away waste products (lactic acid)

As these two aspects of endurance are linked. What good is having a well-developed cardiovascular capacity if the muscles you are using in some effort can't keep up the pace and give out? And how well can you perform if your muscles have a tremendous endurance ability but your circulatory system can't deliver the oxygen they need?

Also you should know there is basically two types of muscle fiber ( as well as a lot of intermediate, in-between fiber types):

1. White, fast-twitch fiber is non aerobic power fiber that contracts very hard for short periods but has little endurance and a relatively long recovery period.

2. Red, slow twitch fiber is 20 percent smaller then and not as powerful as white fiber, but is aerobic and can continue to contract for long periods as long as sufficient oxygen is available.

So what does all this mean? It means you need to A. Train in both aspects of cardiovascular endurance, and muscular endurance. The reason for this is when training muscles it leads to a buildup of lactic acid in the muscles being used-- a waste product of the process that produces the energy for muscular contraction. If the heart, lungs, and circulatory system have been able to provide enough oxygen to the area, the lactic acid will be reprocessed by the body into a new source of energy; if not, the buildup will eventfully prevent further contraction leading to total muscular failure.

The muscles that are in use well doing a push up are anterior deltoid, coracobrachialis, pectoralis major-minor, and triceps brachii. Also a variety of stabilizing muscles.

How to do a push up:

Starting position: Lie flat on the ground, face down. Place your hands slightly outside of your shoulders and your fingertips parallel to your collarbone. Make sure your elbows are at 45 degree angles to your torso. Place both feet on your tiptoes.

Actions: Raise your legs and hips off the ground, your lower back should arch slightly. Extend your arms, pushing into the ground. to return lower your body (in a single plane) by bending your arms.

What to AVOID: Segmental elevation, i.e., your shoulders rising before your hips or vice versa. Elevating your shoulders toward your ears. Moving your head forward.

Easier version: Shorten the lever by bending your knees to the floor. Maintain the same activation pattern and movement sequence.

Difficult versions: Place Swiss ball on feet. Two Swiss balls on hands. Raise a leg. One handed push-ups. Raise the angle of elevation to 45 degrees down, or up. There are also many different hand variations you can use to associated certain muscles.  

This is a challenge that was brought out from high school.

100 days...starting at day 1...do 1 pushup 3 times a day.
day 2...2 pushups 3 times a day....
day 3...3 pushups 3 times a day....

up too day 100...you should be able to do 100 pushups 3 times a day.

It only works if you keep yourself motivated and hydrated for the 100 days...

If you miss a day..add the total amount of pushups you missed to your next daily total.

If this doesn't work for you...I don't know what will.

Try www.hundredpushups.com instead. A much saner approach.

NB: the site's very busy, so you might have trouble connecting. Just keep at it.

Just an FYI - the hundredpushups.com site has a different method of doing pushups than what is on the DND site:

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/english/1_3_1_5.asp

Canadian Forces Site:
Push-ups
Lie flat on your stomach, legs together, using your toes as the pivot point. With your fingers pointing forward, place your hands below your shoulders. Push up by straightening your arms until your elbows are locked, then return to the starting position (with your chest just touching the floor). Keep your body in a straight line throughout. Exhale as you push up; inhale on the way back down. Perform this motion in a continuous manner. Do as many repetitions as you can, without a time limit. Stop the test when the movement becomes forcibly strained.

Hundredpushups.com:
Instructions for "good-form" push ups
Good-form Push Up

Lie prone on the ground with hands placed as wide or slightly wider than shoulder width. Keeping the body straight, lower body to the ground by bending arms at the elbows. Raise body up off the ground by extending the arms. Repeat.

Body weight should be lifted by the arms; don't be tempted to use your butt, stomach or the lower half of your body to pull yourself up. To maintain correct body alignment, imagine a straight line running from your head down to your ankles.

The CF standard seems to be closer to a close-grip bench press, which has involves the triceps heavily. This makes it a lot more challenging than the "wider than shoudler width" pushups that the 100 pushups site is going by. It is far easier to get to 100 pushups using the wide stance as the larger muscles are activated.

I did the hundredpushups challenge and I success. I did it with the website www.hundredpushups.com and started on week 4 I think. So I did 100 straight push-ups after 3 weeks...

That is great ! You should all do it.

This seems like a great idea so I am going to include it in my daily routine. Although I will have to start doing them on the knee as right now I am unable to do a "real" push-up. I figure I can go through this system on the knee as well as attempt regular push-ups until they increase enough to do this program with them.

I have been just doing as many push-ups as I can and have increased from 3 to 15 in a few weeks time (of course all on the knee). I also do ten to twenty push-ups on the stairs each time I go up (my room is in the basement so I go up a lot). I also do weight training for my upper body.

Anyway - think this is a great plan and I will let you know how it works for those who can't do a real push-up yet.

Cheers!

Schütze said:
100 push-ups in 6 weeks...

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html
:army:

I fully recommend hundredpushups.com

The first thing the program has you do is test how many good form pushups your capable of, and the program is scaled based on that number.  Its completely free, has online tacking, an iphone app, and printable pages so you can keep track of you progress.

I was barely able to do 8 pushups when I started(pathetic I know) so the idea of doing 6 pushups 8  times in a single workout was just not possible.  3 weeks into the program I can do 25 good form pushups. 

Its a good option for people who don't already have a solid starting point in pushups.

Narcisse said:
I did the hundredpushups challenge and I success. I did it with the website www.hundredpushups.com and started on week 4 I think. So I did 100 straight push-ups after 3 weeks...

I am going on session 4 tomorrow of the hundredpushups.com challenge. I modified it to be about military push ups instead. So far I think it is working, but man session 3 hurt. No pain, no gain...right?

forza_milan said:
Just an FYI - the hundredpushups.com site has a different method of doing pushups than what is on the DND site:

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/english/1_3_1_5.asp

Canadian Forces Site:

Hundredpushups.com:
The CF standard seems to be closer to a close-grip bench press, which has involves the triceps heavily. This makes it a lot more challenging than the "wider than shoudler width" pushups that the 100 pushups site is going by. It is far easier to get to 100 pushups using the wide stance as the larger muscles are activated.

I always wondered, when it means BELOW your shoulders for the CF version. Does that mean underneath where your shoulders are? Or actually below as in further down your body below the shoulders?  ??? I have been doing the first of the two, and yeah - harder then the method used on Hundredpushups.com.

Marshall said:
I always wondered, when it means BELOW your shoulders for the CF version. Does that mean underneath where your shoulders are? Or actually below as in further down your body below the shoulders?  ??? I have been doing the first of the two, and yeah - harder then the method used on Hundredpushups.com.

As posted on here before (somewhere), here is a picture and description of the proper push-up position from PSP Esquimalt:

http://www.pspesquimalt.ca/pdf/Remed_PushUp.pdf

When I did my test this year, the guy had a very good way of getting your hands in the proper position.  Lay flat on your stomach with your arms fully extended (palm down) in front of you.  Slide your hands back until they are under your shoulders.  Part of your hand (one or two fingers) must be visible on either side.

Am in week 5 at the moment.
I can't help but notice that the program ends at 60 push ups. Seems like an awful big gap between 60 and 100, but I guess I'll find out in two weeks or so (if I can keep up the pace).

FoverF said:
Am in week 5 at the moment.
I can't help but notice that the program ends at 60 push ups. Seems like an awful big gap between 60 and 100, but I guess I'll find out in two weeks or so (if I can keep up the pace).

well if you look at the third column, you see many reps before you do the >60 rep. If you can do all those sets you sure can go over 100 push ups.

Curious, they made me place my hands with my thumbs touching - that isn't a typical push-up that would show upper body strength (specifically chest) that is actually isolating the load on your triceps! I guess random rules are the norm? I was made to stop at 35 too, I never understood that either.

First Fitness Test of BMQ:
30 Pushups, 40 situps

Express Test One year later:
62 pushups, 64 situps

Now 2 years after BMQ:
90 Pushups (actually 100 but my last 10 are always lousy), and 65 Situps.

Narcisse said:

I started on week 4 as well but what I did, you know how there is 3 section's to start at well I would do the first section at 2:00pm 2nd section at 5:00pm and 3rd section at 8:00pm right now I'm at week 5 and can see a big improvement already.

Dylan

Yes but if you stick with one method you should still see improvement at a more or less equal rate. No?

I'm actually doing this right now! I can do about 40-50 consecutive push ups, and I'm just entering week 2. Probably should have started at a later week, but the more push ups the merrier! Can't wait to pump out 100 or more push ups for the PSP staff...well exceeding the ladies' minimum. Too minimum IMHO.

Allie'd forces said:
I'm actually doing this right now! I can do about 40-50 consecutive push ups, and I'm just entering week 2. Probably should have started at a later week, but the more push ups the merrier! Can't wait to pump out 100 or more push ups for the PSP staff...well exceeding the ladies' minimum. Too minimum IMHO.

Wow that's actually really good for a girl, to be honest I'm a little jealous I can push maybe 60 but the last 10 or so would be pretty sloppy. Great work though, your definitely going to blow them away. I'm almost done week 5 of this so hopefully I'll be able to do 100 or when when I finish.

Back