• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread

"Times during Basic Training will depend on making a team effort and on the contribution of every member. If you are constantly tired during training because you are out of shape, you will not learn much, you will not do well on the fi eld exercises, and you will not be a strong team member. So when you come to Basic Training, it is important for you to be as fit as you can."

The minimum performance objectives to be met are shown below. The minimum objective for the step test could normally be achieved if you attained an acceptable rating on the 2.4 km run as shown in the chart on page 11.
TEST ITEM MEN WOMEN
Push-Ups • Under 35 years of age 19 9
• 35 and older 14 7
Sit-Ups • Under 35 years of age 19 15
• 35 and older 17 12
Hand Grip (in kilograms)
(Combination of your left and right hand scores)
• Under 35 years of age 75 50
• 35 and older 73 48
Aerobic Fitness Acceptable rating for 2.4 km run will prepare you to meet the aerobic fi tness standard.

http://64.254.158.112/pdf/physical_fitness_en.pdf

If you cannot meet that requirement then too bad the army DOES NOT WANT YOU.
CTD said:
another denied applictaion due to failing the fitness test.
The whole point of BASIC military training is to develop the mental, Physical and miltaristic abilties of one self to become a valued member of the CF.

Yes that is the point but from a common base where all troops start.This isnt the freaking summer church group.Get real.

Standards are standards(and quite low at that).

CTD said:
another denied applictaion due to failing the fitness test.
The fact that they turn away so many applicants due to the fitness requirements is silly.

So we should throw away standards and hope troop end up in excellent shape by end of basic?It is a standard in place to make sure troop are in good enough shape after basic to go to regiments.The minimum standard is to make sure civilians will be fit enough to start a physical program.

"Some times more often then not some people step outside of their own abilties and knowledge and then try to pass it off on to others."
Sound familiar CTD?Are you an expert on fitness for recruits?Lets leave it to the requirements already drafted.

As for brixxie meet the MINIMUM requirements and you can have a shot at joining our army.And thats the basic fact.

"Guns  that was was my problem  it was a tight straight center so I'm working on it . it is something that can be fixed , besides if DND wants a fit employees then its my full time job now to give them the standard they need."

Good attitude and good luck next time.

Update: dips dips pull ups and that foot across the legs ( Strike) great ideas.

I didn't fail my entry I failed push ups. I seriously lacked upper body strength....
( going to add IM A GIRL) I'm working hard to be in the condition 18 year old men are in when they enter. So yeah failing push ups was a goodthing Ive added +60 lbs to all my weights in two weeks.  Plus the ball is super amazing .

I might have a  get away card with the new mandate and not have to retest still there is no way I am going to sit in a "warrior platoon" with little kids for weeks I want to get through basic so I can career train.

oh yeah! I have a wicked new trainer and I hang out with the psp staff I am way cool ! <3
-.-
that was uncalled for Im sorry. dont lock this thread k ^.~

**update

passed Thursday with 16

I don't know if they will make me retest when I get sent to basic ,but I guess I will find out
still waiting for medical file to circulate through the paper chain.

Do not fret. I joined the forces infantry at 33 and aced my test on the first go. I am by no means a fit dude. I worked my but off for six months. Building up the pushups wasn't that hard. I kept a score card. Every day I would do three sets in the morning and three sets before I went to bed. Each week i would do more. When I first started I could do hardly 10. When I went for my test I could squeeze off about 25 in good form, after basic about 30 in good form. Practice makes perfect. Just do them every day.

Congrats on passing.

I totally know what you mean with the lack of upper body strength.  I have been trying cross fit.  They are teaching it to the guys in 3PPCLI and I sort of jumped on the band wagon.  While I am no where near a pull-up I am getting better.  Hopefully persistance will pay off.

"I will be fine the next time around I got myself a trainer who is working with me on core strength and arms(she was the woman who PT tested me)."

- I have ethical issues with a Personal Trainer on a DND contract testing and failing a candidate, then taking that candidate on as a customer.  Fail more candidates - get more customers.  Scam.

While I am no where near a pull-up I am getting better.  Hopefully persistance will pay off.

Practice, practice, practice. The only way to get better at any sort of physical training is to do it repeatedly. One you notice, and feel, the changes it will only increase your drive to do it again. I have a chin-up bar in my laundry-room doorway - it screws into the frame and then extends to the proper length to screw in the otherside. I usually do as many as I can a few times a day, or sets of so much everytime I go up or down to my room.

If you live next to a base or good gym MOST will have the assisted pullup/chin up bars.These work really well to develop a base to start and work your way up to doing pull ups.Note: pull ups and chin ups are not the same!I thought it was just a differnt name for chin ups then I realised and tried them.Needless to say pullups dont come without practice,darn that was embarrasing.

Bench pressing light weight may also help you out for your push ups.

Good job for all,it will become fun one day if you keep up with it....I promise!

Brixxie--

I am a 27 yr old girl, who is overweight and two years ago could not do a single pushup on my toes (I couldn't even get off the ground).  Since then I hooked up with a PSP trainer and she put me on a program to help me build my upper body strength, which I did on my own.  I can now do 13 pushups on my toes, and I keep trying for more.  Being a girl should not be an  excuse for why you can't do the pushups. 
    I am glad you are working to get to the pushup standards--something that really works for me are negative pushups--after I max out on pushups on my toes (I always do as many as possible), I do 5 negatives--start at the top position and slowly lower your body to the ground.  This helps make sure you go down all the way.  The other thing is called the plank, but after holding it for 15s start doing alternating leg lifts.  The position is lying on the floor supporting your body with your toes, elbows and hands.  It forces you to use your core to stablize and really helps you with form.  Do 3 sets of each of these, maxing out each time and you will see your pushups increase quickly.
    Keep pushing but remember--girl pushups are a myth!

I have a similar joint "popping" experience as well. I noticed it when I bent my knees, but it eventually went away. It never caused pain, merely a noticeable popping sound. From what my father has told me of it (he had the same thing as a teenager), it has something to do with an air pocket inside the joint somewhere that merely gets shifted (hence the popping noise) when the joint is moved. Granted, I have no medical experience, and my dad might have been feeding me a line, but it seemed to explain the popping. just my two cents.

One of my wrists use to hurt when I did narrow gripped  pushups. I switched to a wider grip and the pain went away.

could it be the loss of bone mass in your radius and ulna (the two bones in your forearm)?
afterall, the two bones are small, and the pressure that you impose on them when you are doing your push-ups might be too much if your bones don't have enough bone mass, two hollow tubes can't hold much weight. it might be an early sign for arthritis. try to drink more milk or better yet, start to take calcium pills. most people don't even get half of the recommanded daily calcium intake.

I have the same problem, only mine is my tendons. As for the air pockets, it is a condition both my brother and i have it, Air will just sit around your joints and when you move them you hear the crack crack even wiggling my toes makes the sound, but apparently it doesn't have any impact on your pt, its just embarrasing ;)
For my wrists i do strength exercises on them, curl ups and grip balls, even those stress balls will help out. I still get pain in my wrists when doing pushups but you will notice a difference.

OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask the question and hopefully I don't get my butt kicked cause
I missed some special thread on this subject or something.

I will be going into my SQ(primary reserve) this summer, as guys who have completed the course how many
push-ups would you recommend that the average recruit be able to do minimum upon entering the course;
say 40/50 non stop?
EDITED: I realized that putting 60/70 non stop was moronic.

If you can complete 50 perfect push ups you will have no problem in the regular force.Check out the minimum standards for the CF which are way lower than 40/50.

60/70 is not moronic.My BMQ instructor could pump out 100 strait.With good form,which is important to adhere to.Instead of half assing 50 do 25 perfect.

Ive had alot of success by putting on a backpack and filling it with books or weights, if you want to be more accurate with wieght (5-10 pnds to start) and doing 4 sets of pushups to exhaustion with no more than a minute rest between sets, in my own case i went from 25 pushups to 60 pushups (with no weight) in about 3 weeks, thats doing it about 5 days a week and resting for 2 days usually on weekends........  :cdn:

Thanks very much for the information EX_RCAC_011 and recruited, your replies have helped quite a bit.

EX_RCAC_011, I was hoping that it was around the 50 area thanks for confirming this; and I understand what
you mean about not half-assing it.

Recruited, thanks for the advise, it sounds like a very good push-up workout, I think I'll start doing it tomorrow
and see where it gets me, no lies I really will try it out.

There are many ways of doing pushups but i think that if ya do them according the physical fitness guide outline the way they show you ya shouldnt have any problems as i'm getting ready for it myself i told myself one thing always make sure you can do whatever they ask one step better and you cant go wrong:)

In response to the initial question regarding improving pushups-  Pushups are not my strong suit either, but I found an effective and quick way of getting better at them is this-  Go into your forward leaning rest position,  with your arms partly bent and remain in that state for about a minute and a half, or however long it takes for you to begin experiencing muscle breakdown, whichever happens first.  Then, gradually begin doing very slow and deliberate pushups as many as you can.  Do this a couple of times a day, every day, and soon you'll be able to belt out pushups rapidly with little difficulty.

(jeeze, didn't even notice the date of the initial post.  Seems a bit pointless now, given this person is probably already in....although I think the suggestion is good for anyone wishing to improve upon their pushups.  Rico out.)

Back