• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Purple Trades: Definition & Trg Discussion

It sounds like you've had a great career! Thank you for the info.  :salute:

norris said:
What about the Chaplain Branch.  Are they mostly land, air or sea?

Same thing.. theres Chaplains/Padres, etc wearing the uniform of every element. An like other purple trades you can goto any unit; I'am in an Infantry unit an we an Air Force Padre.

Gary D. in SK said:
Are all ED Techs Air Force element, or are there some in Land as well?

Just from taking a quick peak at the recruiting site it shows ED Techs being both air and land elements.

that's kind of what I thought initially and put Land as my preferred element on my application.  But then I noticed that there is no SQ component, and in every piece of recruiting information I have seen the Techs pictured appear to be Air Force.

Sorry if I'm sidetracking the discussion here somewhat.

I'm hoping that as an Army Med Tech I wouldn't end up on a ship, or a boat, but as a purple trade I realize that's a possibility. How much weight is given to the stated preference of the recruit? Does it depend entirely on the needs of the CF or does the profile/qualifications of the recruit in any way determine where that person will be posted?

nocknee said:
Sorry if I'm sidetracking the discussion here somewhat.

I'm hoping that as an Army Med Tech I wouldn't end up on a ship, or a boat, but as a purple trade I realize that's a possibility. How much weight is given to the stated preference of the recruit? Does it depend entirely on the needs of the CF or does the profile/qualifications of the recruit in any way determine where that person will be posted?

The CF will send you where they need you.  Your preferences may be taken into consideration.  Obviously, qualifications will matter as well (e.g. Air MedEvac)  That being said, it's usually easy to get posted to a field unit.

PMedMoe said:
The CF will send you where they need you.  Your preferences may be taken into consideration.  Obviously, qualifications will matter as well (e.g. Air MedEvac)  That being said, it's usually easy to get posted to a field unit if you request a posting to a Wing, or to a Wing if you request a posting to either Navy bases, or...

:)

Just wondering, a year and a half after the CANFORGEN came out, has it been fully implemented or are some people still being sent on courses other than listed in the CANFORGEN? For example going on a CFPLQ instead of PLQ-L?

Perhaps Vern (being a senior member of my trade) or anyone else can shed some light on my personal situation then.

I am currently a LS who is being promoted to MS this year (2010). With my promotion will come a posting away from Halifax. Now if i get posted to a Army base will the PLQ im loaded on be a PLQ-L or a PLQ done on a Navy base.

Either one doesn't bother me except that if I do get loaded on a PLQ-L, will my CoC ensure that I am brought up to speed on the army specific expectations ? By this I mean to say that my knowledge of how to run a section attack or do a patrol and any of the other field craft and combat skills are non existent. I would hope that my CoC would ensure I am brought up to speed on all this.

As well if I am not loaded on a SQ does that mean my time in say Petawawa would be spend base side ? I find that disheartening to say the least as I get more personal enjoyment and job fulfillment out of first line employment. Or could a MS be loaded onto a SQ course ?

The fol info is taken from CANFORGEN 101/08 http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2008/101-08_e.asp

B) NON-ARMY- MANAGED OCC. PLQ-L IS NOW THE ONLY JUNIOR LEADER COURSE FOR THE FOLLOWING NON-ARMY-MANAGED OCC:

(1) MP (ALL ENVIRONMENTS)

(2) MSE OP (L)

(3) SUP TECH (L)

(4) RMS CLK (L)

(5) COOK (L)

(6) AMMO TECH (L)

(7) POSTAL CLK (ALL ENVIRONMENTS)

(8) COMM RSCH

(9) INT OP NOTE: ALL MP, POSTAL CLK, COMM RSCH AND INT OP OCC PERSONNEL REQUIRING JR LDR TRG, REGARDLESS OF ENVIRONMENT, SHALL BE LOADED ON PLQ-L. FOR MSE OP, SUP TECH, RMS CLERK, COOK AND AMMO TECH OCCS, ONLY PERSONNEL OF THE LAND ENVIRONMENT WILL BE LOADED ON PLQ-L. ARMY G1 WILL APPORTION PLQ-L VACANCIES TO CAREER MANAGERS BASED ON CLS PRIORITIES.

So the way I read it as you are a Navy Sup tech you will not be course loaded on a PLQ (L).

It is the same for BMQ (L)/SQ

(1) BASIC MILITARY QUALIFICATION - LAND(BMQ-L)/SOLDIER QUALIFICATION (SQ) - THE FOL OCC WILL ATTEND THE SQ CRSE:

(A) CBT ENGR

(B) GEO TECH

(C) COMM RSCH

(D) LINEMAN

(E) LCIS TECH

(F) SIG OP

(G) WPN TECH

(H) EO TECH

(I) MAT TECH

(J) VEH TECH

(K) INT OP

(L) MP (ALL ENVIRONMENTS)

(M) COOK (L)

(N) POSTAL CLK

(O) SUP TECH (L)

(P) AMMO TECH

(Q) TFC TECH (L)

(R) MSE OP (L)

(S) RMS CLK (L)

(T) MED TECH

So if I read your post properly and everything else in this thread while I am so employed on an "Land" base I cant be employed first line ? That hardly makes any sense at all...

Halifax Tar said:
Perhaps Vern (being a senior member of my trade) or anyone else can shed some light on my personal situation then.

I am currently a LS who is being promoted to MS this year (2010). With my promotion will come a posting away from Halifax. Now if i get posted to a Army base will the PLQ im loaded on be a PLQ-L or a PLQ done on a Navy base.

Either one doesn't bother me except that if I do get loaded on a PLQ-L, will my CoC ensure that I am brought up to speed on the army specific expectations ? By this I mean to say that my knowledge of how to run a section attack or do a patrol and any of the other field craft and combat skills are non existent. I would hope that my CoC would ensure I am brought up to speed on all this.

As well if I am not loaded on a SQ does that mean my time in say Petawawa would be spend base side ? I find that disheartening to say the least as I get more personal enjoyment and job fulfillment out of first line employment. Or could a MS be loaded onto a SQ course ?

As a MS wearing a naval uniform, you will only be required to complete the PLQ Mod 1-5 (same mods as every other trade & environment). These mods are offered at Land, Air and naval establishments - so you may possibly complete your Mods 1 to 5 at any of the three environmental establishments.

If you are indeed posted at a land posting, you may volunteer to do the PLQ(L) {ie Mod 6 after you have completed the common mods 1-5} if you so choose; I have seen pers of other uniforms get their Mod 6 (including a Sup Tech when she asked for it), but it is hard to get loaded onto it as it is Army managed and Army pers take priority.

That all being said, having a qual of Mods 1 - 5 only does not preclude you from employment in the field enviornment at 2nd line or 1st line; so, fear not young jedi.

As for the SQ - I don't know of anty MCpls/MS who have been required to undergo that course --- that, I suppose, does not mean that it isn't possible.

Relax ... the Army isn't as bad as your nightmares (and rumour) say it is!! We'll have you converted in no time at all!!  >:D Just kidding.

Really, take it as it comes; ask questions; don't be shy. We've had a whole lot of sailors and airmen and airwomen Suppy types show up in Army Units ... and I do believe they have all lived to tell the tale (some of us even switched our uniforms over). It's different from the Navy and it's different from the Air Force, but, like anything, it is what you make of it and your inquiring post leads me to believe that you'll make out just fine.

Vern

ArmyVern said:
We've had a whole lot of sailors and airmen and airwomen Suppy types show up in Army Units ... and I do believe they have all lived to tell the tale (some of us even switched our uniforms over).

To add two pennies here Vern, we recently had a PO1 change uniform to Army WO. They figured they did enough army stuff that they might as well become army. As well, it saved said person from having to correct all the young Pte's from calling them WO instead of PO (not I, as I know the difference between swords and an anchor ;))

hahaha well I wouldn't think I will be "jumping ship" so to say over to the army uniform but I certainly know lots of people who have had DEU changes from all 3 elements to one or the other! Hell I know I an Air Force WO who has 17 years in Esquimalt now!

I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't thrown in off the deep end with out being taught how to doggie paddle first is all!

I guess I will have to wait and see where I'm posted when I get home.

Chapeski said:
To add two pennies here Vern, we recently had a PO1 change uniform to Army WO. They figured they did enough army stuff that they might as well become army. As well, it saved said person from having to correct all the young Pte's from calling them WO instead of PO (not I, as I know the difference between swords and an anchor ;))

In reverse I had one buddy switch from Army to navy DEU just so he could go on tours with the ships.  Seems they didnt like having him on board with that camo green on his back...

Somewhere I got the impression that the NCM log trades were going to be divided into elemental sub-trades (as are Log Officers now), with members' postings and training (e.g. NETP/SQ etc) tending more towards their element.  Did anything come of that, or was it just a blue sky?

N. McKay said:
Somewhere I got the impression that the NCM log trades were going to be divided into elemental sub-trades (as are Log Officers now), with members' postings and training (e.g. NETP/SQ etc) tending more towards their element.  Did anything come of that, or was it just a blue sky?
That only ever existed as an idea presented by me on this site: 
  • http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22558/post-722530.html#msg722530
  • http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22558/post-723737.html#msg723737
I am not aware of it ever being officially considered anywhere.

Belay my last...

I think the log trades sub dividing thing did come close to fruition. I know the current CO of the NSE made mention of it during a speech to his troops on this tour. This was when the Log Branch head honchos were coming in for a visit.

Back