• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Punk Rock Fans

• Thread starter cameron_highlander
  • Start date
Patti Smith
The Mekons
The Clash
Ramones
Sex Pistols
Dead Kennedy's
Buzzcocks
Stooges

They've all been mentioned, but were all on my playlist a whole lifetime ago.

PS... Good call on the Plasmatics, jeff!

edited to fix a spelling error

Here's a question. What was all of your guy's first punk band? The first one that got you hooked at least.

Me? Well, back around when I was only 9 years old I started listening to The Offspring and Pennywise, my friend's cousin was a punker and he ended up showing us a bunch of bands. Amazing that my friend barely listens to punk now and I ended up in a punk band for a few years. My political and social views started to change a bit away from my bands left wing viewpoints, and I ended up quitting.

Not to get off topic, but:

I've played with a skinhead band before, unknowingly at first. And I've been around plenty of White Power/Nazi punks, and I have to say they are the most vile people I've met.

I have also met and played with many anarchists, super left wing people. I disagree with many of their viewpoints, but at least I wasn't in danger of my tiny frame being stomped into oblivion by offending the wrong guy.

Lots of good bands and shows in the Hamilton / TO area

The Forgotten Rebels  ( the lads who saved from from life as a DUran Duran junkie)
The Wet Spots ( Now kinda sorta back together...maybe)
The Sick Boys
Class Assassins

oh yeah...i still see a few of the Dick van Dykes at my local pub......

Man, how did this thread run so long before mention of Wendy O & the Plasmatics?? I can't believe I neglected her. Yep Jeff, good call.

The band that got me into punk was the Misfits.  I used to hang out with a couple of punk-rocker type kids in high school, and they were really big into the 'Fits and got me listening to them.  From there on I started listening to Bad Religion and Rancid---Rancid really got me into the whole Ska thing.  Started listening to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Specials and Sublime after that.  My first punk show was a Real McKenzies show when I was 19, and that pretty much opened me up to the Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly etc.  I met a couple of Sharpies through a friend and they got me into some of the Oi! stuff they listen to like the Angelic Upstarts and the Cockney Rejects.  Currently I'm really into the Psychobilly and punkabilly sound thanks to bands like Tiger Army, Creepshow and Matadors.

And for those local to Toronto- there is a HUGE underground punk scene in this city, and there are some killer bands out there.  Just saw a show on Friday, the Creepshow headlined with four other bands playing.  Highly recommend going to these shows.  If anyone thinks Punk is dead, just go and your mind will change VERY quickly.

(edit- spelling)

Ramones and Sex Pistols were probably the first two punk bands that got my attention, along with a pretty (un?)healthy dose of Velvet Underground.

Not sure if anyone here has mentioned them already. But anyone who follows the local punk scene in Alberta and BC knows the Wednesday Night Heroes (Or should, they rock).

I wanted to ask if anyone here has heard of 'Rebel Spell'. They're from Vancouver and are an amazing local punk act.

As for some old bands, I don't listen to em much but theyre worth mentioning:

- Circle Jerks
- Minute Men
- The Cro-Mags
- Sick of it All

And how about Crass? I don't think I saw them mentioned.

Edit: Blah! How could I have forgot SNFU!? Canadian skate punk band of the 1980s.

So, I guess I will post this up here. This one a new song by the Dropkick Murphys, called State of Massachusetts from their new album that will be released September 18. Its a great song an I cant waite for the CD to come out.

Video

Bad Religion hooked me when I was 13 or 14, all I had in my collection was like def leopard and Bon Jovi and then I heard the No Control Album...and it was up hill from there. BTW, there new album "New Maps of Hell" is really good if anyone was thinking of getting it.

Just a sampling ...

The Clash (every album)
The Pistols
Rancid
DKM
Bad Religion
Bouncing Souls
Alkaline Trio
AFI (not a fan of the latest)
Strung Out
International Noise Conspiracy
Millencolin

... and lots of ska punk like:

Less Than Jake
Mustard Plug
Mad Caddies
Buck O Nine
MU330
Save Ferris

(lots more ska, but that's for another topic)

is there anyone else here that listens to hardcore punk?
I just stumbled onto august burns red. I had heard of them before, but they blew me away.
I can't think of any of the other bands I just found in the last while. but when I get back to base, I can pass along some bands.
and I STILL have yet to find Bad Brains latest album! has anyone seen it for sale anywhere?!? I haven't even found it in TO

i went to a riot once, and a blood for blood concert broke out!

earth crisis,
first blood,
hatebreed,
rancid,
sexpistols,
inflames,
the exploited,
one life crew,
pennywise

I've heard New Maps of Hell, and I have to say it's one of the best things I've heard in awhile.  Bad Religion remains one of the truest, REAL punk bands out there, and they rarely disappoint.  Went to see them in concert with Dropkick Murphys last year, and talk about a great show!  Both bands really have their shit tight.

In response to Yeoman- I love classic hardcore.  TSOL, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Teen Idles....Great bands.  I was definitely born a decade late.  I should have been a teenager in the 80s.

You still would have been 10 years too late. ;D

My all time fave - a trio of horrible, but angry, musicians from Michigan with what could possibly be the best band name ever - the Crucif$#@s.  Best song?  "Hinckley Had A Vision".

Kat Stevens said:
You still would have been 10 years too late. ;D

pfft you're talking about the 77 punk scene.
we're talking about the mid eights american hardcore punk scene that exploded mainly out in Cali and Vancouver, but there was some stuff in New York, Boston and DC. well it was everywhere, but those were the main spots
Everyone must watch American Hardcore
greatest documentary on the American punk scene I've ever seen.
This was one of the first years where I was actually disappointed I didn't go to Warp Tour. Lots of good hardcore like bands out there, and lots of kids thinking they could mosh until I get in :D

Eh, I stopped going to the Warped Tour when they started bringing along these shitty poseur bands like Sum 41, Good Charlotte and some of these other dime-a-dozen pop rock assholes.  Personally, I prefer the underground scene now---it's the only place where punk rock truly still exists with a few minor exceptions.

And yeah, I hear you about the mosh pits---a bunch of 140 pound skinny white teenagers are nary a match for a 210 pound 6' guy like myself.  There's nothing like smashing some poor teenibopper into the floor, helping him up, then doing it all over again!  Good times.

Check out this little gem-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6jwyMiilgE

This is one of those songs that rile up the old folks who like the original, and fire up the younguns.  Good ol' Canadian punk rock.

Back