• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Punk Rock Fans

• Thread starter cameron_highlander
  • Start date
Forgotten Rebels! - Havn't heard about them in a few years, have they put anything out in the last 5 or so years?

Skrewdriver? If there is one thing I cant stand are skinheads and their Oi band crap. Punk is one thing but skrewdriver and their ilk are completely different. I would post some of their lyrics but they are far too offensive for a public forum such as this. Disgusting.

Now Rollins Band and Black Flag are on the top of my list and have been since I was a teenager. Of course the Circle Jerks should get some special mention too.

Hey come on man, not all Skinheads are racist pricks.  Sharpies and Red skins are some of the coolest guys I know.  And bands like Sham 69 and Cockney Rejects, who are Oi! bands, are great.  I find it personally insulting that all skinheads are erroneously grouped as being racists or on the extreme right.  It's just not the case.  Skinheads, REAL skinheads I mean (not those right-wing nut jobs- or boneheads as they're collectively known as) are just working class punks- most of whom are apolitical or more centric in their policial beliefs.  The whole skinhead culture even spawned from black dockworkers in England who shaved their heads for sanitary reasons- and most of them had strong ties to ska and reggae music, which kind of make these racist skins pretty much a contradiction-in-terms if you think about it. 

Teflon said:
Forgotten Rebels! - Havn't heard about them in a few years, have they put anything out in the last 5 or so years?

According to Wiki their last album was Nobody's Heros in 2000.  Saw them in twice on the same day when they released Criminal Zero.  Once in HMV on Young for the release and that night at Lee's Palace (I think...).  Was a good show anyway.

D

Bobby Rico said:
Hey come on man, not all Skinheads are racist pricks.  Sharpies and Red skins are some of the coolest guys I know.  And bands like Sham 69 and Cockney Rejects, who are Oi! bands, are great.  I find it personally insulting that all skinheads are erroneously grouped as being racists or on the extreme right.  It's just not the case.  Skinheads, REAL skinheads I mean (not those right-wing nut jobs- or boneheads as they're collectively known as) are just working class punks- most of whom are apolitical or more centric in their policial beliefs.  The whole skinhead culture even spawned from black dockworkers in England who shaved their heads for sanitary reasons- and most of them had strong ties to ska and reggae music, which kind of make these racist skins pretty much a contradiction-in-terms if you think about it. 
Trust me I have studied and even gotten into a few scuffles with those from the extreme right of the skinhead culture of course it was us who decided to crash their little rally, as well I know a couple of former SHARPS. I am well aware of the different types of skinhead and I am also well aware of the history of the skinhead movement and the band Skrewdriver. I suppose this thread should get back to the original topic or someone might lock it up.

Edit: Spelling

Yes, I suppose the last thing we need is for this to turn into a political debate regarding the political views of those of the counter-culture.  Back on topic---

Speaking of the Jerks, whom I love, they are releasing a new album soon.  And did anyone check out the movie American Hardcore?  If you did, what did you think?  I haven't seen it myself yet, I'm still waiting until it comes out on DVD.

Bobby Rico said:
And did anyone check out the movie American Hardcore?  If you did, what did you think?  I haven't seen it myself yet, I'm still waiting until it comes out on DVD.
It is out on DVD now at our local Rogers but I think I might have to give my other half here a bottle of wine or two before I can convince her to watch it. She hates that Junk I listen to.

What about my all time personal fav....DIE TOTEN HOSEN.
I picked up an LP in Germany in 1991 and was hooked ever since.
Unfortunately my Cassette collection went by the wayside years ago. Hopefully one day with any luck I just may be able to move into a location that has that new fangled high speed Internet and I may be able to download a few songs.

Nobody mentioned "The Monks". One of their best albums was "Bad Habits" which included the songs " Johnny be Rotten Tonight" and my personal favorite " Nice Legs, Shame about her Face". Classic punk. >:D

Ah yes, I Got Drugs In My Pocket.......

Used to have Bad Habits on vinyl, bought a CD on sale for cheap a few yrs back. I am thinking 1980 for the record though???

Skrewdriver is extreme, but its just lyrics, and is classic oi!

The soundtrack for 'Romper Stomper' aint too bad either. At times my neighbours wonder, and I'll be home soon, away from this festering mess, so neighbours, be warned, I got the whole month of April off (shy of final approval of course, ha), and my stereo needs the dust blown off it. Its been since August since it has been tested.

Its going on 0100 here in the CP, its windy, and yes dusty (more poo dust- oh nooooooo - start hording the asswipe) as ever, but warm out.

Regards from Baghdaddy,

Wes

Sex Pistols
The Ramones
The Clash
Dayglo Abortions
Suicidal Tendencies

Geez, these bands bring me back to a very awkward time in my teens....lol

Dropkick Murphys
Queens of the Stone Age
Flogging Molly
Sum 41
Billy Talent
Green Day
Alexisonfire
The Clash

Does The Real McKenzies count too?

- Pixies...... Greatest band ever
- Propagandhi
- A.F.I
- Bad Religion
- Mike Ness
- Gob
- Me first and the gimmie gimmies

maybe even Elvis Costello

blood for blood?!?
man and here I thought I was the only guy in ontario that listened to them.
I don't know if I metioned them; but as i lay dying. yeah I know (if you check) they're a christian band; but heck I'm presbyterian so.........
I don't get why people are sometimes put off by christian bands; ain't nothing wrong with them
I'm banging my head trying to remember the name of one band from kitchener. I use to know the drummer. they were good for a local band.
ontariopunk.com is a good website to check out. myspace ALWAYS has bands on there that you'll never hear until you heard em on myspace.
I tend to use arse to download a couple of songs from bands I want to hear and go from there.
Greg

Sorry for getting this one a little off topic.

You mean to tell me you get away blaring music such as:(lyrics)

http://www.houseoflyrics.com/lyrics/skrewdriver/white_power.html

And someone don't punch your head in?

And your a Sgt in the military.....great.
Glad I ain't a person of different decent in your troop. ::)

Use to have respect.That's some racist shit.The only reason I know about the band was a few losers from my home town who never saw a black person in their life,thought it was cool.....oh and they were 15.

Wow.
Punk is good.Racist shit ain't.Better get outta here...as my blood aint pure aryan.

*hijack over.*

I think the Dead Kennedys hit the nail on the head with "Nazi Punks"

(Which, for the uneducated out there who think that Jello Biafra is a dessert, is a song decrying Nazis)

Classics
Husker Du
Meat Puppets
Black Flag
Circle Jerks
Ramones
Dead Kennedys
Forgotton Rebels
DOA
The Cramps
The Butthole Surfers
The Clash
Rancid

Some real indie stuff from my youth
Porcelain Forehead
Honest Injun
Unwarranted Trust

My favourite newer stuff
Dropkick Murphys
Against Me! - playing in Ottawa Wednesday and I have tickets :)

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
I think the Dead Kennedys hit the nail on the head with "Nazi Punks"

(Which, for the uneducated out there who think that Jello Biafra is a dessert, is a song decrying Nazis)
Yup, that about sums it up.

I still listen to Henry "Hank" Rollins.
I have some of his solo stuff, some Black Flag and a few obscure songs of his
"The Boxed Life", is a spoken word performance of his that I have on CD, I use to have it on VHS but lent it to someone and lost it.
I have a couple of his books, "Pissing in the Gene Pool & Art to choke hearts"

Also love Iggy Pop and the Stooges.
Found a old video of Iggy being interviewed on CBC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxcgPPdYwo

His new song with the Teddybears - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIiP-aAaupA

My wife doesn't get Punk or alternative music, she loves techno, disco and country, so we agree to disagree on music taste.

I've always enjoyed the old stuff.
I'd like to add Wendy O Williams and the Plasmatics. Boy did she hate TV's!

Back