• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Service Health Care Plan PSHCP [Merged]

Fair enough, then maybe you will have the temerity to point out where it says "outside canada only" in large red type.........

If that was the DND-021(B), I certainly would.  What you have is the Blue Cross card, for inside Canada only, that advises you to change the alpha character of your SN from whatever it is to an"M" and use that as your medical number.  The number provided (1-877-MED-DENT [1-877-633-3368]) is good only in Canada.

The outside Canada DND-021(B) provides two separate numbers, 1-800-563-4444 for requirements in the USA and 1-506-854-2222 (use of collect calling is encouraged) for all other locales.  This card was issued to ORs vice directly to the members, about two years ago.  If you haven't received one, I would certainly encourage you, and anyone else, to get one if you are travelling outside Canada on lve.

Cheers.

After muddling through the PSHCP 'guide' (yeah right.) I see that I am covered for up to $200 for eyeglasses or contact lenses, every 2 years starting on odd years. Now since I am reg force and I already get FREE glasses from DND, does this mean that I can go and get contacts or more glasses and and submit a claim for up to $200?

I'm not 100% clear on the way the plan actually works, I signed up for it so that my wife has the coverage. I see that there are many things that I am covered for but I don't understand how to get things like massage therapy etc, since AFAIK I can only go to see my doc at NDMC (or go to MIR)...

No, the $200 is only for your family, not you.  Contact lenses unless specifically prescribed (which is almost never) are not paid for by CF.  Normally, massage therapy is only covered  by Veterans Affairs not by CF, except in a limited fashion for experimental cases.

PSHCP does not apply to soldiers, only their families.

Very important question here. But after completing the paperwork (application) for PSHCP coverage, how long should it take to get the info pack? I ask because I filled out all the paperwork on 09 Dec 2007 when I enrolled (enrollment date 06 Dec) and yet Sunlife is rejecting any claims so far for my pregnant wifes Chiropractor as they 'do not have any record of me', and I have yet to receive a certificate number, or notice any allotments being taken from my pay, which was also screwed up on enrollment. The medical expenses are starting to add up so this is very worrying.

Many thanks,

Coverage should have started on 1 Jan, based on the info you've provided.

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/tb_862/pshcpd-drssfp/pshcpd-drssfp04_e.asp
Unless otherwise stated, coverage will become effective on the first day of the month following receipt of the application by the designated officer if the application is received within 60 days of the applicant becoming eligible.

Where the application is received more than 60 days after the applicant becomes eligible or after the event requiring an application, the effective date of coverage will be the first day of the fourth month following receipt of the application by the designated officer.

Talk to the OR/Pay and Records.  You should have copies of what you filled out when you applied. 

Having spoken with the OR, it seems there is now no record of my application. Which has royally screwed me over, as the 'Public Service Health Care Plan Directive - April 1, 2006' states that if an application is received more than 60 days after initial eligibility, coverage starts from the first day of the fourth month following the application being received. My wife is pregnant, which is therefore making the bills pile right up, and seeing as the CFRC has already screwed up my pay enough (enrolled as skilled-RSBP granted cpl 2, somehow ended up being paid Pte III), this is going to cost alot of money.

What recourse do I have now? My CofC is aware, as is the ROR who are trying to correct this, but I hold little hope. And am understandably VERY pissed off now.

Did you get copies of the paperwork?  I think I did when I filled out the application.

We had this problem when we were both still PRes and my husband went on Class C.  OR didn't file the paperwork for PSHC correctly, then I broke my ankle only to discover that Sunlife was incorrectly applying the waiting period.  It took a lot of work, but it was mainly the support of the OR that fixed it.  They knew they screwed up and helped my husband sort it out.  He was in Bosnia, I was in Manitoba and his pay was being administered in Edmonton, so it took a long time to get reimbursed for the expenses.  I feel for you.

If the OR recognizes that it was their screw-up, they can back date the application.  That's what they did in our case.

Good luck! 

Regrettably no.....Which reminds me to get copies of absolutely everything next time.

HOWEVER, I have had success both through the OR and more importantly, the CofC. Pay is getting squared away, with a large chunk of backpay to come, and my application is being re-sent (I guess I will have to fill it out again tomorrow), back-dated to my enlistment date, so that I will not have any wait times.

So not much to worry about (until next time!!!)

Thanks for the replies.

Is there any way that I will be able to get the PSHCP when I'm overseas. I've been on workup for TF 1-10 since Sept. 2008 (reservist), and have been trying to get health coverage for my family since then, and have not had any success. I've tried calling them directly only to be told that they are unable to give me any assistance, that only my clerk can deal with it. I've pestered the clerk, bothered my chain of command, and even spoke about this issue directly to the CWO of the Army and have yet to see any results, and now that I'm deploying in a few days, I'm out of ideas, and my family is out of luck.

So, will I be able to get anything done after I hit the ground with regards to this issue? Or should I just try and find alternative coverage? Is there an alternative that anyone here would recommend?

Dog said:
Is there any way that I will be able to get the PSHCP when I'm overseas. I've been on workup for TF 1-10 since Sept. 2008 (reservist), and have been trying to get health coverage for my family since then, and have not had any success. I've tried calling them directly only to be told that they are unable to give me any assistance, that only my clerk can deal with it. I've pestered the clerk, bothered my chain of command, and even spoke about this issue directly to the CWO of the Army and have yet to see any results, and now that I'm deploying in a few days, I'm out of ideas, and my family is out of luck.

So, will I be able to get anything done after I hit the ground with regards to this issue? Or should I just try and find alternative coverage? Is there an alternative that anyone here would recommend?

Your Clerk should be able to set you up.  Either they are totally incompetent, just lazy, figure that you as a Reservist Class C are not entitled, or they are not yet qualified to do the job.  Which ever it is, keep after them.  You should have that done before deploying, and it is part of the RMS clerks job to ensure that you are properly DAG'ed and good to go, seeing as you, the member have brought it to their attention.  Things like this, when dealing with this type of RMS clerk, really peese me off.  It is a tragedy that that Trade has devolved to such a low state. 

Sorry for the little rant.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dcf-dsp/psh-rss/app-dem/index-eng.asp

Two forms to fill out to apply.

Also leave a supply of signed claims forms at home, to be completed and submitted as needed.

Homepage: http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dcf-dsp/psh-rss/pshcp-rssfp-eng.asp

There are also a variety of useful links on the right hand side of the homepage, with FAQs, forms and info.

Although the page says it's for RMS clerks, the info is applicable to all.

(If you have further Qs feel free to PM me)

As to the forms, I've already filled the forms out and had them submitted. Twice. They have been seen by PSHCP... but nothing has happened since then. I'm not sure why. Thanks for giving me the information though, it's a site I've never seen.

George, I have been thinking the same things. I'm disappointed in the clerk staff.

I haven't deployed yet, but I do leave very soon. I have one last DAG the day before I go... I'll try to push one last time, and see what happens.

Thanks to the both of you.

There's a 3 month cooling off period from the time PSHCP gets the forms, I'm having to go to my SOR to sort out why they think 3 months from 7 Dec 09 extends beyond 20 Mar 10.... If your clerks have a copy of the fax timestamp when it was sent to PSHCP, they can make the date backdated to then, and not have to start your cool down period now. At least, this is what I've been told during a brief conversation with one of my clerks.

You learn the hard way to keep your own 'Shadow File' with copies of everything.  I have kept copies of Fax and Fax Cover Sheets in the past and glad I did, when things were not actioned and I had proof that I had done my part to get things moving, but someone after me in the chain had dropped the ball.  As PuckChaser pointed out, having your copy simplifies the follow up actions you may have to take.

Well, that's the thing... everyone who I've dealt with WRT this issue knows I've done all the paperwork.... I'm baffled as to what the hang-up is.

Currently don't have access to the din.

I have a question from a soldier I'm trying to answer.
He was wonder what the different price packages cost for benefits for his wife and kid and what all are covered in those packages. I know there are 3 different packages but have no idea how much they are a month or whats cowred.
His wife is paying $60 a month at her work for benefits so he's considering having her covered through the CF to save money.

Can anyone help?

Yes sorry medical and dental coverage for a wife and child.  Also the name of the company if that makes sense

Back