• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Service Health Care Plan PSHCP [Merged]

http://www.pshcp.ca/coverage.aspx

All your coverage questions and more.  I would call them, other than one or two small issues I have found their call center pretty decent.

Services of other medical practitioners
To be eligible under the Plan, the services rendered must:

be performed by a practitioner that is registered, licensed or certified—in accordance with provincial/territorial regulations—to practice in the jurisdiction where the services are rendered,
require the skills and qualifications of the practitioner,
be in the area of expertise of that practitioner.
You are encouraged to contact Sun Life prior to incurring expenses to verify that the medical practitioner has the appropriate credentials for their services to be eligible under the Plan.

Eligible expenses
Acupuncture
Acupuncture treatments performed by a physician.

Chiropractor
Maximum eligible expense of $500 per calendar year.

Electrologist

(or physician when performing electrolysis treatments)
Treatment for the permanent removal of excessive hair from exposed areas of the face and neck when the patient suffers from severe emotional trauma as a result of this condition.

In the case where the services are performed by an electrologist, a prescription is required from a psychiatrist or a psychologist to certify that the patient suffers from severe emotional trauma as a result of this condition.

The prescription is valid for three years. The maximum eligible expense is $20 per visit.

Massage therapist
Maximum eligible expense of $300 per calendar year.

Physician's prescription is required and is valid for one year.

Naturopath

Osteopath

Physiotherapist
Maximum eligible expense of up to $500 and over $1,000 per calendar year.

Podiatrist / Chiropodist

Psychologist
Maximum eligible expense of $2,000 per calendar year.

In 2014, the $1,000 top-up will only apply to expenses incurred on or after October 1st.

Social worker
Only if you live in an isolated post (listed in Appendix A of the National Joint Council’s Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directive) and no psychologist practices in that isolated post.

Speech language pathologist
Maximum eligible expense of $500 per calendar year.

LunchMeat said:
However for benefits for family are through PSHCP as above.

While there is a dental benefit under PSHCP, it is only for certain procedures and courses of treatment following accidental injury.  For regular dental services there is a separate and distinct plan - the Dependants' Dental Care Plan (DDCP) http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/dependants-dental-care-plan.page

Just wanted to hear what everyone thinks about the PSHCP for veterans? How many use it? Do you find it worth the money?

Is it worth it?  That answer may differ from person to person. 

It is an insurance policy that will give you coverage and refund a percentage of your medical expenses back to you.

A similar insurance policy for Dental (Pensioner' Dental Service Plan - PDSP) is also available.  This is administered by Sun Life, as well.

In some cases, in conjunction with another medical or dental plan held by your spouse, you may get 100% refund.

In the end, participation is up to you.

I would highly recommend it. The health plan covers 80% of the approved fee schedule for prescription drugs for you and your family, etc. The dental plan covers annual checkups for you and your family and other fees (fillings etc) up to $1,500 per year.

You can deduct both annual premiums off your income tax as well as what Sun Life did not cover (the 20%). Travel benefit for the health plan for 40 days, so if you travel to the USA you have some coverage.

All the info is on line which I am sure you looked at.

You can find contact info in this thread:

https://army.ca/forums/threads/91801/post-907154.html#msg907154

George Wallace said:
Is it worth it?  That answer may differ from person to person. 

It is an insurance policy that will give you coverage and refund a percentage of your medical expenses back to you.

A similar insurance policy for Dental (Pensioner' Dental Service Plan - PDSP) is also available.  This is administered by Sun Life, as well.

In some cases, in conjunction with another medical or dental plan held by your spouse, you may get 100% refund.

In the end, participation is up to you.

Thanks for the info, do you know if the dental plan is open to all retired members? Or only those receiving a pension??

George, is the dental plan not administered by Great West Life, same as for dependents?

paleomedic said:
George, is the dental plan not administered by Great West Life, same as for dependents?

Great West Life is managing the SRSPs.

Sun Life is managing both the Dental and the Health plans for pensioners.

I kept PSHCP when I got out. It costs me on average about $1000 per year. Given that I have four of us to cover, and my drugs costs would be $250 per month (at 100%), plus four pairs of glasses every two years... it's worth it to me. It will still be worth it when my kids leave home.

Lets take an average retired married couple. As they age diabetes, high blood pressure and a few others become quite common.
In Ontario waiting until you are 65 for the provincial drug plan to kick in can get expensive.

The dental plan is also a good idea. Older teeth can go through $1500 per year in a hurry.

IMHO worth every dollar.

Baden Guy said:
Lets take an average retired married couple. As they age diabetes, high blood pressure and a few others become quite common.
In Ontario waiting until you are 65 for the provincial drug plan to kick in can get expensive.

The dental plan is also a good idea. Older teeth can go through $1500 per year in a hurry.

IMHO worth every dollar.

I second , and even third and fouth it. Very well said!

A worthwhile plan, and my family uses it.

Tess

We most certainly get our $ worth having the plan.  You can also use the amount of the premiums towards your medical amount on your tax return.

I could be wrong here but my only wish is for there to be an added dental plan with the PSHCP. I understand that there is a pensioners dental plan but as a young adult who isn't a pensioner but still a veteran it makes finding dental insurance a pain having to deal with two different insurance companies.

Can my family receive Canadian forces benefits? or I am the only one who can have them?

Well, they're not going to get a paycheck unless they join up as well.

Want to be a bit clearer?

AmmoTech90 said:
Well, they're not going to get a paycheck unless they join up as well.

Want to be a bit clearer?

Like (For example) health/dental benefits

Back