• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public service employment has grown by 31 per cent

CBC North seems different than the mothership and the CBC archives are a treasure to be protected.
It still has a very real mandate, CBC in the south just exists to appeal to the people turned off by how "right wing" CTV and Global are...

CBC North delivers solid regional and local news, and is the only major concern to do so.

Where maybe they might add more value through allocating public resources towards augmenting/developing/enhancing the effectiveness of Public Safety broadband radio, and the like, through remote locations...

... and the 23 people, average age of 75 years, who listen to the CBC in the rest of Canada for more than 80% of their broadcast day can watch TV instead ;)

A Public Safety Broadband Network (PSBN) for Canada​

A Canadian approach to implementation of the next generation of public safety communications​

Executive Summary​

Public safety and emergency communications around the world are in a state of transition. With new technologies emerging, the public safety community needs access to up-to-date communications capabilities to ensure that they are able to protect Canadians and themselves.

In Canada, first responders and other stakeholders have been working towards the goal of a reliable, modern, nationwide and interoperable public safety broadband network (PSBN). A PSBN is a network that can be used by emergency responders and public safety personnel to communicate with each other, share and access information during day-to-day operations, weather-related incidents and natural disasters, emergencies and major events.

The benefits of a PSBN are far reaching and include enhancing emergency prevention and response; improving community safety; addressing the growing need for data transmission particularly in the context of Next Generation 9-1-1; providing a solution for current interoperability challenges; complementing Canada’s National Public Alerting System; and broader socioeconomic impacts. The delivery of PSBN services also supports Priority 4 of the Emergency Management Strategy for Canada: Toward a Resilient 2030, which seeks to enhance disaster response capacity and coordination and foster the development of new capabilities.

In May 2018, Federal-Provincial-Territorial (FPT) Ministers Responsible for Emergency Management collectively acknowledged the benefits of a PSBN in Canada and endorsed the establishment of a Temporary National Coordination Office (TNCO). Since its establishment in July 2018, members of the TNCO have collaborated to consult with stakeholders and gather their views, conduct research and analysis, and propose a way forward to improve emergency communications in the public safety domain. In June 2020, the TNCO concluded its two-year mandate to develop a national approach to advance a potential Canadian PSBN, and presents this report to FPT governments for consideration. The report outlines a number of recommendations regarding a governance approach, guiding principles, service delivery, approaches to achieving robust coverage and capacity, and suggests next steps for advancing a PSBN.

Well, looks like it’s to be a strike starting at midnight.
Time to get out my 'destination foxed' tshirt! I really hope the RCN isn't looking for LCMM support for most equipment, because guess who aren't essential workers!

Well, looks like it’s to be a strike starting at midnight.

Humpty Dumpty Union GIF by Dropout.tv

Time to get out my 'destination foxed' tshirt! I really hope the RCN isn't looking for LCMM support for most equipment, because guess who aren't essential workers!
Will you be on strike as a result of this?

From discussions I've seen so far today, PSAC (i.e., FMF) workers striking in Dockyards is one thing, but contractors being reportedly unwilling to cross the picket line is another thing entirely that will grind things to a halt even further.

From discussions I've seen so far today, PSAC (i.e., FMF) workers striking in Dockyards is one thing, but contractors being reportedly unwilling to cross the picket line is another thing entirely that will grind things to a halt even further.
Contractors shouldn't be allowed to go on strike if the conditions of their contract aren't being violated.

If I get contracted to work in a certain workplace, and my contract says I will be paid X amount per hour, guaranteed Y numbers of hours, these are my benefits, etc

If the conditions of that contract are being honored, I shouldn't be able to go on strike just because everybody else around me is...

The government might find it easier to agree to their requests if they hadnt gone ahead and hired over 100,000 more of them. Agreeing to a salary increase is a lot easier on the money flow if you're agreeing to increase the salary of 250,000 ppl rather than 350,000+ ppl

(Thats what the government gets for lying about our economic growth post covid. We're only doing better than 'every other G7 nation' because we artificially inflate our employment numbers by having the government directly hire all the new jobs we've created) 🙄🤦‍♂️

Heaven forbid they approve the dozens of various industry projects that they've either rejected or kept waiting across the country. Each of those projects would hire thousands of people...

CBC:

The article states:
We are beholden to no one.
We report without fear or favour.
We act only in the public interest.

Any guess' what their views of the public interest are? I'm guessing they believe it's in the public interest that PP not become PM and assume they'll report accordingly.

The CBC should be a bland as hell vanilla reporter of factual events. Zero opinion, zero anything but straight facts. Since that is seemingly impossible for the current iteration of CBC, they should lose all public money.
I think their view of what is in the public interest will conveniently line up with whatever funds them, obviously...

Now CBC, ask yourself...is it in the public's interest to give you $11B a year only to have you report on bits & pieces of some stories? Or knowingly lie to that very same public in order to push various government agendas? Is the public being well served with that investment?

Remember CBC, its not in the public's interest to be lied to! So whats your answer??

Now CBC, ask yourself...is it in the public's interest to give you $11B a year only to have you report on bits & pieces of some stories? Or knowingly lie to that very same public in order to push various government agendas? Is the public being well served with that investment?
Honest question here: Is the $11B all for CBC News (and Radio Canada) or all CBC, including TV shows, podcasts, etc?

It seems like Poilievre, et al want to defund the CBC because of its alleged slant on news. The CBC does more than news.

Also, not sure if it was mentioned here but calling to defund Radio-Canada (part of CBC) is pretty much a guaranteed way to lose the Quebec vote. There is already a feeling that the language is being lost, and a party wants to defund the French public broadcaster?

Poilievre can argue to just defund CBC (not R-C) but they are two parts of the same company.

Honest question here: Is the $11B all for CBC News (and Radio Canada) or all CBC, including TV shows, podcasts, etc?

It seems like Poilievre, et al want to defund the CBC because of its alleged slant on news. The CBC does more than news.

Also, not sure if it was mentioned here but calling to defund Radio-Canada (part of CBC) is pretty much a guaranteed way to lose the Quebec vote. There is already a feeling that the language is being lost, and a party wants to defund the French public broadcaster?

Poilievre can argue to just defund CBC (not R-C) but they are two parts of the same company.

While I do think the CBC has a political slant, I do have to wonder from a pure fiscal perspective is it simply an employment program from for second rate Canadian actors and television industry, or does it actually produce programing that could survive on its own merits ?

I don't agree with propping up organizations with tax dollars that wouldn't/can't survive on their own. Banks and Industry is the same, if they fail let them fail.

Last edited:
If the contract workers are organized (have their own union), it is not uncommon for a non-striking union to honour a picket line. If this is a government facility, then sure. If this is Irvine property, then PSAC shouldn't be picketing it.

While I do think the CBC has a political slant, I do have to wonder from a pure fiscal perspective is it simply an employment program from for second rate Canadian actors and television industry, or does it actually produce programing that could survive on its own merits ?

I'll have you know, sir, that it's also an important national succession program for the position of Governor General, and the various Orders of Canada ;)

CBC received approximately $1.1B in Parliamentary appropriations, and just under $100M in authorities for amortization in 21-22. No idea where that $11B number comes from, but it is incorrect.

I assume someone moved the decimal to the right, either as part of deliberate disinformation effort, or more likely, because they went to the Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Who Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too

Back