• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Affairs Officer ( PAO ) - merged

malamudagain said:
Strike suggested that my previous comment “makes it sound like applying for
the trade is like winning the lottery, which couldn't be further from the truth.”

I then challenged Strike to show me where these opportunities are since clearly I was not able to see any vacant positions for the past 2 years, and then I get labelled a whiner, pissy, etc.

Sigger, I’ll tell you what’s annoying.  Having a guy like you employed in the Forces, either now or previously at one point (i.e. a guy who’s had his kick at the can), telling me that I feel entitled to career in the Forces and then dumping on me. 

Jwtg, I agree, I’m not asking anyone to “create” a job that doesn’t exist and no one would do that for me even if I wanted it that way, so don’t worry about that happening.  I’m just saying that I didn’t appreciate having someone who has been quite lucky in her career to be a pilot and now  PAO (2 very difficult trades to enter) to suggest that is my attitude that is the reason for coming up to a brick wall for every trade I pursue, rather than the dismal employment conditions at the CF. 

BritishBuzzard, you have been silent, but if you were serious about your desire, you’d be smart to return to the UK and join British Forces which is a larger organization with hopefully more opportunities.  As you can see, the situation here is pretty dismal for people with a hope and desire to serve their country in a trade that matches their education, qualifications and interests.
I won't comment specifically on PAO, but the Canadian Forces can now afford to hire only the very best for pretty much any trade they hire for. It's not a lottery, and it's not impossible.

What you're missing is that, yes, some of us are comfortably in the CF, but we can make these comments because just like you, we underwent the application process and, just like you, competed with others.

I suppose what you can take out of this conversation is this: The opportunities are there (perhaps not immediately, but they will be at some point in the future, just as in the past).  Use this time to become a strong applicant so that next time, when you apply for the position, you end up being the top candidate to get the job offer.

Strike said:
As for saying that I am lucky to have gotten in as a pilot and then as a PAO, I am insulted.  I worked VERY hard to achieve both, and those efforts paid off.  I was not given a free pass.  I stayed up late at night studying, failed tests, passed rewrites, studied some more, and have given up many things to get where I am today.  None of it had anything to do with luck.

I don't mean to speak for anyone else, but I think that when people say "lucky" they as often as not mean "fortunate".  I don't think there's any implication that you got where you are without having worked for it.

malamudagain said:
Strike suggested that my previous comment “makes it sound like applying for
the trade is like winning the lottery, which couldn't be further from the truth.”

I then challenged Strike to show me where these opportunities are since clearly I was not able to see any vacant positions for the past 2 years, and then I get labelled a whiner, pissy, etc.

Sigger, I’ll tell you what’s annoying.  Having a guy like you employed in the Forces, either now or previously at one point (i.e. a guy who’s had his kick at the can), telling me that I feel entitled to career in the Forces and then dumping on me. 

Jwtg, I agree, I’m not asking anyone to “create” a job that doesn’t exist and no one would do that for me even if I wanted it that way, so don’t worry about that happening.  I’m just saying that I didn’t appreciate having someone who has been quite lucky in her career to be a pilot and now  PAO (2 very difficult trades to enter) to suggest that is my attitude that is the reason for coming up to a brick wall for every trade I pursue, rather than the dismal employment conditions at the CF. 

BritishBuzzard, you have been silent, but if you were serious about your desire, you’d be smart to return to the UK and join British Forces which is a larger organization with hopefully more opportunities.  As you can see, the situation here is pretty dismal for people with a hope and desire to serve their country in a trade that matches their education, qualifications and interests.

:'(

WTF!!! I heard Ford Motor Company was looking for a new CEO for NA Operations. I drive a Ford and I want the job. They told me it wasn't available to me at this time and that I would have to wait in line like everyone else!

That's bullshit!!! I'm available and I want the job. It should be mine! I don't need no stinking badges!!!

How dare they tell me the job is now closed without even considering me. Their loss, I guess. Bunch of wankers don't know what they're passing up by not putting me at the front of the line and giving me the job.

I'm changing my truck to a Toyota.

Bastards.

So you're not going to bitch someone out on an internet forum first?

Pussy.

The last 2 posts just made me spout my energy drink through my nostrils...........that's funny sh*t.

However, lets try and keep this thing on topic.
Thanks,
Bruce

You could argue that recceguy's statement was directly related to the topic in that he was illustrating that it's not easy getting into many jobs these days, one in the CF and in particlular, PAO.  But of course, my wife keeps telling me I have to "quit playing the straight guy"  ::).

I suppose I could dig out a few things from my career in the CF that seems to illustrate that you get what ever number comes up and not what you want, as I swear my career manager has a little figure 11 with each of our faces on it with a number of postings in the various scoring rings, the one you like the most as the bull's eye and your least favorite in the outer ring...and he can't shoot to save his or anyone else's life.  Needless to say, I've been posted pretty much nowhere I wanted to go except for one spot - I got to pick that poison from a selection of very poisonous spots and actually lucked out.  I'm certainly not where I want to be now, but I worked pretty hard to end up with the best job that there is in this location I think...so it's part lottery but is still a large part hard work.  When you're applying for a finite number of spots, as I tell my kid, you've got to show why you deserve to be where you want to be.  The CF won't come to you - it's an employer's market right now, so instead of complaining about how hard it is, pull your finger out, buff the resume and go "Hey, you should hire me because...".  You could also take the round about route and get in as something else and remuster after taking on some unit level PA work, then show the powers that be why you should be taken on by excelling at it.  If you want a career in the CF right now and in a specific, low intake job, you often have to take second choice and then push hard for first after proving yourself.

MM

Bruce Monkhouse said:
The last 2 posts just made me spout my energy drink through my nostrils...........that's funny sh*t.

However, lets try and keep this thing on topic.
Thanks,
Bruce

Sorry Bruce, thought I was ;)

N. McKay said:
I don't mean to speak for anyone else, but I think that when people say "lucky" they as often as not mean "fortunate".  I don't think there's any implication that you got where you are without having worked for it.

^Correct^ 

Strike, your service to your country is appreciated. 
All I'm trying to say is that if you were applying now with the rest of us, things could have turned out quite differently for you.
Things today are quite different from 15 years ago. I am happy for your success in landing desirable trades  and for your good fortune.
I do not begrudge you your interesting experiences in the CF.  I just wish opportunities were more plentiful.
Stay Safe.

ps. Thanks for the good advice from everyone.

And again I beg to differ.

When I applied for pilot the trade was just as competitive as it is now.  Considering the cuts that the CF faced in 1994 I would hazard a guess that it was even more competitive.

As for my switch to PAO, there were 2 spots open for voluntary transfer and more than 200 people who had applied.

Please stop comparing my efforts and successes to chance and stop backpedaling on your remarks.  Unfortunately it reeks of insincerity, whether you mean it or not.

Ok Strike, you've had no good luck in your military career, no good fortune at all.  It's been all you. 
Why stop at PAO or the CF? Somebody with your exceptionally strong credentials and aptitude should be applying to CSA. 
Now you can correctly say my remarks reek with insincerity. 

I'm not backpeddling on anything.  Things are unbalanced.  A new generation of young  applicants are not going anywhere with their applications because of lack of opportunities. I'm not saying anyone is to blame, but it is what it is.  And it sucks.  However, I don't begrudge anyone their career or success in the CF as I mentioned in my last post.  And for those comparing things to Ford or Microsoft, there are many other car companies or software companies out there to apply to if Ford and Microsoft tell you to go fly a kite.  The CF holds a monopoly on certain services in this country, so there is no other place "to go" unless you hold another passport and can go serve in a foreign military.  But in your eyes, such individuals who have that opportunity (hold multiple passports) aren't lucky as well.  It's all them and their skills that are responsible for that blessing.  Right?  Luck and good fortune play no role with you;  your adament dismal of this element in life is puzzling.

Don't worry.  This will be my last posting in this thread. 
It's customary to wish someone good luck as they embark on a new endeavor (as you are), but in your case I shall refrain since it clearly bugs you.

:crybaby:

malamudagain said:
I'm not saying anyone is to blame,

There is no one to blame because there is no blame to be had, by anyone. The CF needs certain number of people in each trade. When we have that number, we dont need anyone else. The CF does not exist to provide you with career opportunities.

malamudagain said:
And for those comparing things to Ford or Microsoft, there are many other car companies or software companies out there to apply to if Ford and Microsoft tell you to go fly a kite.  The CF holds a monopoly on certain services in this country, so there is no other place "to go" unless you hold another passport and can go serve in a foreign military.

mala...

PA/PR is probably one of the most portable jobs around.  The only thing that the CF really holds a monopoly on in those jobs that are also available in the public/private sector is that they train the people who get accepted into those jobs.

And remember, although spots are tight right now with the CF, this isn't a new thing.  It happens in cycles, which is why many of us are being short with you in this regard.  We've seen it before and some of us have been directly affected or had to deal with it.  Wait another year and things will open up a bit more.  Don't forget though that this trade has less than 200 people (Reg Force) in the entire CF so there will never be enough spots for those who want them.

Wow.....what a sense of entitlement...... ::)

My top choice at the moment is the Public Affairs Officer position. I plan to obtain a Master's degree in Public Administration before applying for the PA Officer position and to gain more direct work experience for the next 2 years in that field.

Would that be considered a competitive applicant: A person with a Master's in a relevant field when the position only asks for a Bachelor's and direct work experience in that field?

Does having the Masters make someone more competitive for this position?

Just curious:  how do you see a public administration degree "relevant" to Public Affairs? 

Don't get me wrong - a degree is generally good, but I don't know how much communications and media relations work gets covered in such degrees?

milnews.ca said:
Just curious:  how do you see a public administration degree "relevant" to Public Affairs? 

Don't get me wrong - a degree is generally good, but I don't know how much communications and media relations work gets covered in such degrees?

From the Public Affairs Officer qualifications on Forces.ca

"To qualify for direct entry as a public affairs officer, you must have either a master’s degree in any field or, as a minimum, a Bachelor Degree in Art and Literature, Communications, Public Relations, International Relations, Journalism, or Politics."

Public Administration is a subfield of Political Science at many schools. So the degree says: Masters of Political Science: Public Administration. I have also looked into degrees in other subfields of Politics. All they want for you to have is an MA that is related to politics. Also, Art/Literature are not related to media relations and they say that's fine for a BA.

Cool - let's see what folks in the field have to say.  Thanks.

You would have to show the you have quite a bit of media relations study in your degrees.  Typically PAffO requires a degree in Journalism or an Arts degree with work experience in journalism sometimes makes it.  I would suggest you would need alot of both right now as we seem to be fairly heavy withthe spin boys.

Back