• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Affairs Officer ( PAO ) - merged

BlueDuck said:
I will take that as a directive not to ask this question to see if there are others with this issue. Understood. :nod:

No, if that were the case I would have locked it, this is merely about consolidation, since your first question was asked and answered by the appropriate person.

Thank you, you can see I edited my post and was considering that... I originally thought it was linking back to the other forum which I know is closed to members posting on.  I appreciate you putting everything here.  Especially if there are others in the same boat wondering. 

Best!

Good Day,

I am in the process of SCP towards PAO (doesn't mean I will get it); I had 2 years experience as the Unit PAO; 10 years experience as a webmaster and PR guy for a financial institution; and I also ran my own web design company. I recently passed the Written Communication Proficiency Test that is a prerequisite for all wishing to become a PAO. I also have a BA in Interdisciplinary Studies.

I now have an interview with the Wing PSO this Tuesday and the PAO on our base is in Kuwait. I have desperately tried to find the Public Affairs Handbook, but to no avail. Is there anyone here who might know what the role of the PAO is? I gave her an answer according to the work that I performed as the rep, but she said that there was more to it. Thank you in advance!

megalife said:
Is there anyone here who might know what the role of the PAO is?

These may help,

Public Affairs Officer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/100806.0/nowap.html

Public Affairs Officer: Qualifications.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/104184.0/nowap.html

Looking for PAO, got questions regarding the occupation!! 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/48980.0;nowap

How to become a Public Affairs Officer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/34450.0

etc, ...

Edit to add,

Public Affairs Officers provide sound communications advice at the tactical, operational and strategic levels, and act as key advisors to military commanders during domestic and international operations.

Public Affairs Officers are advisors on all aspects of external and internal communications. They are skilled in developing, executing and evaluating communications approaches designed to inform the public of the Forces roles, activities and work.

The primary responsibilities of a Public Affairs Officer are to:
•Analyze and evaluate attitudes in the national and international media
•Contribute to policy development
•Gather and provide information internally & externally
•Communicate with journalists, special interest groups and individuals regarding Defence
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/publicaffairsofficer-63

mariomike said:
These may help,

Public Affairs Officer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/100806.0/nowap.html

Public Affairs Officer: Qualifications.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/104184.0/nowap.html

Looking for PAO, got questions regarding the occupation!! 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/48980.0;nowap

How to become a Public Affairs Officer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/34450.0

etc, ...

A good PAO will also know how to research the answer to a journalist's questions.

Your Google-fu is weak, young Megalife.

SupersonicMax said:
The role of the PAO?  Propaganda Message discipline of course!!
FTFY  ;) It's still OK, though, because the media doesn't tell the entire truth, either  >:D

All joking aside, Haggis & Mariomike bring up good points - if someone doing PR work (especially as a unit PAO) can't find out what government says PR work is about ....  :dunno: 

One more freebie for you to start off, my Info-machine padawan:  "Communications Policy of the Government of Canada"

Good hunting, Megalife, and good luck.

Towards_the_gap said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pravda

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_commissar

Stop helping...  ;D

I was already in an interview with the PSO and I talked about all my experience as Unit PAO and apparently she did not think what I said sufficed. I have been to the Forces.ca site and used the information from there and that did not satisfy her query either. I have the PAO Handbook for NATO operations, but that is somewhat different than what role a PAO would have with the CO.

megalife said:
I was already in an interview with the PSO and I talked about all my experience as Unit PAO and apparently she did not think what I said sufficed. I have been to the Forces.ca site and used the information from there and that did not satisfy her query either. I have the PAO Handbook for NATO operations, but that is somewhat different than what role a PAO would have with the CO.

Go to the RQMS.

Draw a new PSO.

Carry on as if normal.  ;D

megalife said:
Good Day,

I am in the process of SCP towards PAO (doesn't mean I will get it); I had 2 years experience as the Unit PAO; 10 years experience as a webmaster and PR guy for a financial institution; and I also ran my own web design company. I recently passed the Written Communication Proficiency Test that is a prerequisite for all wishing to become a PAO. I also have a BA in Interdisciplinary Studies.

I now have an interview with the Wing PSO this Tuesday and the PAO on our base is in Kuwait. I have desperately tried to find the Public Affairs Handbook, but to no avail. Is there anyone here who might know what the role of the PAO is? I gave her an answer according to the work that I performed as the rep, but she said that there was more to it. Thank you in advance!

I'm curious (just curious not s*** disturbing, I promise...)... your statement "I had 2 years experience as the Unit PAO" doesn't make sense to me for a few reasons...

- How does a Pte get to be a "unit PAO" for two years?
- How does a Pte who GETS to be a PAO for two years still not know what a PAO does?
- What exactly IS a "unit PAO"? I have only seen a PAO who reports to the JAG / B Comd...
- What is the BPSO doing exactly? They don't actually deny your application based on the fact that you don't know what someone does... how would a soldier go from being a sup tech to an engineer? I have NO idea what an engineer does... that's why we teach... hmmm...

Again, just out of curiosity - for my own benefit... I may have completely misread / misunderstood the direction of your post (which is ENTIRELY possible...)

Towards_the_gap said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pravda
Which is Russian for "Truth", which is also the Branch motto for PA - hmmmmmmm ....
pab-bap.jpg

Haggis said:
A good PAO will also know how to research the answer to a journalist's questions.

Your Google-fu is weak, young Megalife.

Hmmn... If by providence, I am chosen, I will be going to Gatineau to take a 6 month course to learn how to be a good PAO. Obviously, a unit rep does far less than what a true blue PAO does, otherwise, the Wing PSO would not have said that I need to research what the role of a PAO is.

BinRat55 said:
I'm curious (just curious not s*** disturbing, I promise...)... your statement "I had 2 years experience as the Unit PAO" doesn't make sense to me for a few reasons...

- How does a Pte get to be a "unit PAO" for two years?
- How does a Pte who GETS to be a PAO for two years still not know what a PAO does?
- What exactly IS a "unit PAO"? I have only seen a PAO who reports to the JAG / B Comd...
- What is the BPSO doing exactly? They don't actually deny your application based on the fact that you don't know what someone does... how would a soldier go from being a sup tech to an engineer? I have NO idea what an engineer does... that's why we teach... hmmm...

Again, just out of curiosity - for my own benefit... I may have completely misread / misunderstood the direction of your post (which is ENTIRELY possible...)

I was a 2LT in the Artillery and I decided that I would rather be in the RCAF and I relinquished my commission and now am a Cpl. As unit rep, I did not communicate directly with the CO in regards are with directing, planning, and executing Military PA in support of Regiment/Squadron operations or other activities under their respective commander’s direction and responsibility. If I was on the DWAN I could post the prerequisites of someone applying for the Special Commissioning Programme one being a unit rep (I worked with the PAO at the Garrison). No Where did I claim that I was a PAO (otherwise why would I be seeking that trade), but a unit rep. Just because you may not have heard of a Unit Rep doesn't mean that it does not exist... I just wanted to get some assistance by someone who might help me out. I am as confused as you are that I need to know all the nuances to the minutiae about the role of the PAO if I seeking to take a course which will instruct me in just that...

megalife said:
If I was on the DWAN I could post the prerequisites of someone applying for the Special Commissioning Programme one being a unit rep (I worked with the PAO at the Garrison).

Some SCP info here,
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+Special+Commissioning+Programme&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=uAUQVqq4L4XU8geew7egAw&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+SCP

Megalife:  Sounds like you did some public affairs work, but if your really ARE interested in working in Government of Canada communications, you're going to have to be more precise and consistent with words and messages.  For example ....
megalife said:
.... No Where Nowhere did I claim that I was a PAO...
I wonder how anyone would have thought that?  Oh, wait ....
megalife said:
.... I had 2 years experience as the Unit PAO ....
I'm honestly not writing this just to be an a**hole - just sharing some tidbits as someone who's spent a bit of time in federal government (non-military) comms.  Reporters will quite quickly pick up inconsistencies like the above (having dabbled a bit in that line of work, too).

Here's one more freebie, worth every cent you're paying for it  ;) 

One CAF definition says a PAO, "manage(s) information and .... provide(s) advice to commanders" after you spend six months "learn the best way to tell the story of what the men and women of the Canadian Forces are doing here in Canada and overseas"

The plain-language bottom line (true for any government comms person):  your job will be to share messages with the public and media, and to provide input/advice to your bosses about crafting messages that can be shared.  I stand to be corrected or nuanced by anyone currently doing PAO work, but I comfortably stand by that as the job of any government communicator at any level  of government.

I don't know how different that is from what you said, what you've read, or what the mysterious PSO had in mind, but it's an (admittedly cynical) start.

Best of luck in your hunt, Megalife - I hope you get what you're looking for, but realize there's more to it than first appearances or an initial taste might indicate.

We have a PAO on the site. I'm sure she can answer all your questions when she sees this thread.

megalife said:
I was a 2LT in the Artillery and I decided that I would rather be in the RCAF and I relinquished my commission and now am a Cpl.

So you were an officer, dropped your commission, became a gunner / bdr, and now you want to be an officer again? I know a ton of people who would have absolutely cherished being an officer just once... not having flip-flopped all over the place...

megalife said:
As unit rep, I did not communicate directly with the CO in regards are with directing, planning, and executing Military PA in support of Regiment/Squadron operations or other activities under their respective commander’s direction and responsibility. If I was on the DWAN I could post the prerequisites of someone applying for the Special Commissioning Programme one being a unit rep ...

My Regt call this an "Adj" not a "Unit PAO Rep" You are describing the role of an adjutant

megalife said:
No Where did I claim that I was a PAO (otherwise why would I be seeking that trade), but a unit rep. Just because you may not have heard of a Unit Rep doesn't mean that it does not exist...

And nowhere did I say that you "claimed" to be a PAO, however, the proof is in the pudding ( or in this case, your OP...")

megalife said:
... I had 2 years experience as the Unit PAO;
Is there anyone here who might know what the role of the PAO is?

You see, I am a "Unit Harassment Advisor". By the very nature of having a unit appointment I HAVE to be a Harassment Advisor.

I am still not saying you aren't / weren't a "Unit PAO" or an assistant or whatever you were... but you can get where i'm coming from, no? As Milnews pointed out ( and I will amplify) your grammar and use needs a bit of work, but also the intent behind your words... get facts straight and say what you mean ...

My final statement ( I love the way Milnews puts it) worth ever cent you're paying for...

No self-respecting Arty soldier would refer to himself as a Pte / Cpl.

To be fair, he said he was a 2Lt in the Artillery and that he decided he wanted to be in the RCAF, and now he's a Cpl... the way it's written it's pretty clear he's a Cpl in the RCAF.

Unit PAO may be a bad choice of words, but it may not be his.  Also seems clear to me he had some secondary duty wrt public affairs,  probably wasn't trained for it, and probably not complete leadership for it.

It is important to write clearly... it's equally important to read correctly...

Back