• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Affairs Officer ( PAO ) - merged

So here's my question to members of this forum: What is the best way to become a PA Officer and is there an ROTP-style program for individuals with a BA who want to go to grad school to become a PA Officer?

Since getting the CF to pay for a Master's for those members already serving is a competitive process, why would they spend the money to pay for a person who hasn't even been accepted yet?

A Master's is NOT a requirement to become a PAO (off the street), just highly recommended. People do get in as PAO with just a BA, even without experience in the field.  It may be rare, but it does happen.

Strike said:
Since getting the CF to pay for a Master's for those members already serving is a competitive process, why would they spend the money to pay for a person who hasn't even been accepted yet?

A Master's is NOT a requirement to become a PAO (off the street), just highly recommended. People do get in as PAO with just a BA, even without experience in the field.  It may be rare, but it does happen.

Good to know. I should probably talk to a recruiter now that were in April....new fiscal year now means more spots are open for the year.

I am seriously considering remustering from NAVCOMM to PAO (reserves). Many people are suggesting I do this based on my education and civilian career (related to PAO), however, others have mentioned it is a dead end trade and that I will be stuck at Lt(N).

Would value any input?

Thanks!

Your reasons for not picking PAO (Reserves) are...interesting.  If you have a civilian career and aren't planning on making the CF your full-time career, why would PAO promotion possibilities really matter? 

Well, as Sir Joseph tells us in Gilbert & Sullivan's "HMS Pinafore":

Stick close to your desks and never go to sea,
And you all may be rulers of the Queen's Navy!

...even if it's limited to Tuesday and Thursday nights, that Lt(N) glass ceiling is just too limiting.  ;D

The reality is that in the PA Branch it is Lieutenants that keep having all the fun.  Because of the particular speciality Lieutenants often are employed or involved in activities above their pay grade.  Public Affairs policy (see DAOD 2008) directs that commanders have their PAO at the command table so as to keep them informed of the issues and opportunities.    Once one is promoted to LCdr as a PAO their are fewer (albiet but different) opportunities to affect the story.  The work changes to being a coordinator and supervisor unless there is no Lieutenant available.  Generally it is Lieutenants that are assigned to ships on deployment.  I.e the PAO in HMCS Vancouver is a reserve Lieutenant.

gwp said:
The reality is that in the PA Branch it is Lieutenants that keep having all the fun.  Because of the particular speciality Lieutenants often are employed or involved in activities above their pay grade.  Public Affairs policy (see DAOD 2008) directs that commanders have their PAO at the command table so as to keep them informed of the issues and opportunities.    Once one is promoted to LCdr as a PAO their are fewer (albiet but different) opportunities to affect the story.  The work changes to being a coordinator and supervisor unless there is no Lieutenant available.  Generally it is Lieutenants that are assigned to ships on deployment.  I.e the PAO in HMCS Vancouver is a reserve Lieutenant.

PAOs are advisers, not part of the command team.  A very important distinction that some advisers (not just PAOs) seem to forget.

gwp said:
. . . . . .  Because of the particular speciality Lieutenants often are employed or involved in activities above their pay grade.  . . . . .  Once one is promoted to LCdr as a PAO their are fewer (albiet but different) opportunities to affect the story. . . . . .

Granted I served in an era when public affairs was not given the weight it should have been and it sometimes bit us in the ass.  However on those rare times when I did have interaction with PAFFOs, I often had the impression that they had an overly developed sense of self-importance.  Maybe it came from being (or wanting to be) the public face in the media.  As to being involved "in activities above their pay grade", well, they are there to tell a story, not direct or be actually involved in the things that they are talking about.  There were a number of times during my career when I was the junior officer sitting at the table with much senior ranks and being expected to provide equal (well, appropriate to my experience) input.  Was it a heady experience (and granted it does give one a sense of self-importance); of course it was, but I was always at the appropriate "pay grade".

Maybe it is just me being crotchety, but I think that while PAOs may be able to put "spin" on a story, their opportunities to "affect the story" (my definition of which revolves more around actually directing/conducting events) should be firmly limited.  Now, these differences may be simply semantics, but in an occupation whose primary weapons are words I would expect that at least the spelling be correct "their there" , albiet albeit".

Any PAO that finds themselves in front of the camera is likely doing something very wrong.  In fact, I would be wary of any PAO who seeks out the opportunity to do interviews.

Now that that is done, being a Res PAO is no more limiting in rank than any other Res position. Plain and simple. You can hold the Jr officer rank while in your unit but there is always the opportunity to get promoted and act as the Sr Area Res PAO later on.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I am not fixated on the idea of becoming a LCdr. However, I have many (potential) years left to serve and I like to know all the benefits / negatives involved before making such a major decision.

I enjoy being an NCM, however, in the reserve world I feel less and less challenged. Somewhat like groundhog day - if that makes any sense. PAO has similar and complimentary challenges and skills that my civilian career offers and I believe it would be beneficial not only to me, but also the CF. My other option in Int.

Regardless of the outcome, I love being int he Navy and look forward to what the future brings.

Blackadder1916 said:
Maybe it is just me being crotchety, but I think that while PAOs may be able to put "spin" on a story, their opportunities to "affect the story" (my definition of which revolves more around actually directing/conducting events) should be firmly limited.  Now, these differences may be simply semantics, but in an occupation whose primary weapons are words I would expect that at least the spelling be correct "their there" , albiet albeit".

There is no spin in "Veritas"  :)

dapaterson said:
PAOs are advisers, not part of the command team.  A very important distinction that some advisers (not just PAOs) seem to forget.

Quite correct as is the case for Legal, Finance, etc.  and to be precise

Commanders are required by DAOD to
- Fully integrate PA into decision-making by:
* establishing direct reporting for their most senior PAO (regardless of rank)
* includng their PAO in key decision-making forums, committees and/or work groups; and
* providing them with access to the information required to participate effectively in decision-making and provide PA advice on the impact of decisions.

Well, since we're critiquing literary skills.....
bcguy604 said:
PAO has similar and complimentary complementary challenges
Unless of course you actually meant complimentary, as in fawning, congratulatory, or even......encomiastical  ;)

I have applied to the CF as a Public Affairs Officer, finished all of my processing, except for the WCPT.  I have spoken to my local recruiters about this, but there seems to be a problem with getting a "Passcode." The tester finally received authorization last week, but cannot actually access the testing.

I'm concerned since I understand selections are this coming Wednesday.  I would hate to miss out on this opportunity because of a lack of access to this new requirement. 

Thank you for any insight.

My apologies if this seems to fall under the "Read this first" section... but there seems to be some confusion at my CFRC.

Just wondering if anyone else here is a current applicant?

Have you had any luck in writing the new required WCPT?  Still waiting for access here in Halifax.

Good luck and Cheers!

Has this thread just been moved to be opened up from "Ask a CF Recruiter" to cut down on total posts in play? Or have I done something out of line? 

Thank you.  Trying to follow the rules.  :nod:

Back