• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pte. Michael Freeman - 3 RCR - 26 Dec 2008 - 3 wounded

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
1 Canadian Soldier reported killed,  3 wounded in IED explosion earlier today.
CTV newsnet is now announcing.

Canadian soldier killed by IED in Kandahar
Updated Fri. Dec. 26 2008 1:00 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

One Canadian soldier was killed and three others were wounded after an improvised explosive device went off in the Zhari District of Kandahar Province.

The incident occured on Friday morning.

The dead soldier's immediate family has been notified. However, the family has requested that the soldier's identity not yet be released.

The wounded soldiers are said to be in good condition.

Canadian soldier killed by roadside bomb
Updated Fri. Dec. 26 2008 1:24 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff

One Canadian soldier was killed and three others were wounded after an improvised explosive device went off in the Zhari District of Kandahar Province.

The incident occurred on Friday morning, about 25 kilometres west of Kandahar City.

The dead soldier's immediate family has been notified. However, the family has requested that the soldier's identity not yet be released.

The wounded Canadian soldiers are said to be in good condition.

In December alone, seven Canadian soldiers have been killed by roadside bomb attacks.

Canadian Forces also said Friday they have killed the man behind the planning and planting of the IEDs.

Shahir Sahib, along with 11 other armed insurgents, was killed in an operation Friday.

Sahib is believed to have been involved in planting the IEDs that killed six Canadian soldiers in two separate incidents earlier this month.

Canadian intelligence played a key role in developing leads and information to help coalition forces carry out the mission.

The latest death brings the number of Canadian soldiers killed in the mission in Afghanistan to 104 since 2001.

One diplomat and two aid workers have also been killed.

Canadian soldier killed, 3 injured in Afghanistan blast
Last Updated: Friday, December 26, 2008 | 1:22 PM ET CBC News

One Canadian soldier was killed and three were injured when an improvised explosive device detonated in Afghanistan on Friday.

The incident occurred Friday morning in the Zhari District of Kandahar province about 24 kilometres west of Kandahar City, Canadian military officials said.

Family members of the soldier who died have been notified, but his name is not yet being released at their request, the military said.

Military officials said the three soldiers who were wounded are in good condition.

The death puts the Canadian toll in Afghanistan to 104 soldiers and one diplomat since the mission began seven years ago.

Canada has about 2,500 soldiers in Afghanistan. Most are based in the south around Kandahar. Its military mission is slated to end in 2011.

Roadside bomb attacks have killed seven Canadian soldiers in December alone.

More to come

RIP soldier and a speedy recovery for the injured parties :salute: :cdn:

News Release
Canadian Soldier Killed in Afghanistan
CEFCOM NR–08.044 - December 26, 2008

OTTAWA– One Canadian soldier was killed and three others were injured when their armoured vehicle was struck by an explosion in Zharey District about 12:45 p.m. Kandahar time, December 26, 2008.

The injured soldiers were evacuated by helicopter to the Role 3 Multi-National Medical Facility at Kandahar Airfield where all the soldiers are reported to be in good condition.

Next of kin have been notified. The identity of the deceased soldier is being withheld at the request of the family.

RIP Soldier, and a speedy recovery to the injured. :salute:

Damn this news :(

My deepest sympathy to the family and comrades of the fallen, a speedy recovery and revenge for the wounded.  :salute:

This is a terrible way to start Boxing Day. RIP Soldier and I pray that the wounded may have a speedy recovery.

Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the fallen, speedy recovery to those wounded.

:salute:

With sadness again, I offer my condolances to the family of the fallen and the regiment.
:cdn:
A heartfelt speedy recovery to the wounded.  :salute:
Not a nice way to remember Christmas.      :'(
:'(

It is certainly a black day in theatre. 
RIP to the fallen.
Get well to the wounded.
My condolences to those left behind!

:salute:

December has brought a lot of sad news...R.I.P. soldier  :cdn:  I hope the injured make a full and speedy recovery.

Back