• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Psychology and the Soldier

HItorMiss

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I have been having this discussion for a fairly long time and there really isn't a definitive answer to it but I thought I would put it out for public consumtion.

What is it that drives Soldiers (Police, Fireman to a lesser extant and you will see later as to why lesser) to what it is we do. How is that people such as us are willing to pay the price we do for such little reward. What I mean by this is we readily without fail sacrifice so very much for an almost ungrateful public. Shunned and cast aside until such time as the boggie man comes knocking and they need us. And then like whipped dogs we come running to deffend the abusive master with voraciousness and then when all is said and done we get smacked on the nose and sent back to the corner like a rabid beast that has done wrong. Perhaps my analogy is flawed but I am sure you can all see where it is I am going. I am well aware of the Wolf/Sheep/Sheepdog analogy and I agree whole hearted with it. But what is it that makes us Sheepdogs. Are we genetic throw backs predisposed to violence (protective not offensive). The simple answer I have heard before is Patriotism, but I ask you how can one love such an esoteric concept as country so so much that they are willing to be maimed or give their life for a flag?. I love Canada but I cannot rightly say  I love the concept of Canada so much as to say it was worth losing personal body parts for.  And yet as boggling as it all is We will do it time after tome generation after generation and the vast "majority" of the public will shun us will pay lip service to' Support the troops" But we will continually march foreward into the unknown danger for those very same people.

Think of the non physical price we pay,  The nightmares, the flashbacks the failed relationships over and over the missed holidays and birthday's of loved ones all again for those that could careless less or abhor us (Perhaps abhor is to strong a word but you get my drift)  Months away, added up over a career into years.... And we do it sometimes even with a shrug and a smile but we do it.

So why? why is it can anyone answer it? I am sure of course there is no one right answer to it all, and each answer will be a very personal thing. Maybe you'll be like me and not have one, no I don't have one I really don't. But there is a common thread to all of us so there must be perhaps a common theme to the answers.

Floors open.

I would like to be able to give you a big explanation of why I do this but i cant......

I do it because someone has to and since i'm pretty good at it, it might as well be me.

CDN

You see what I mean, Might as well be you because you are good at it....Aren't you good at something else some other employable skill? There is no "NEED" for you to do it yet you still do. Therein lies my question.

BulletMagnet said:
Aren't you good at something else some other employable skill?

Actualy, if i am good at something else, i have not discovered it yet.

I guess i also do it for purely personal reasons. I love flying and i love travelling. The AF provides me with both in spades. I'm sure that deep down i also do it because of the people i wirk with and dont wont to let any of them down ( they are making sacrifices for their own resons as well i'm sure).

What i do know is that i'm not here for the money. While my pay is very, very good, it is not what is keeping me here.

I'm not sure If I am the correct person to answer this question, as I am not a soldier yet. But I can tell you what fuels my desire to be a soldier.  Patriotism does play a role in it for me to some extent that much is true, but I like to look at the bigger picture.  Many people go there entire lives working a meaningless job, I mean i know somebody has to be the garbage man, somebody has to be the bartender at your local bar and grill. But for me being or in my case becoming a soldier means knowing that you are making a difference in the world. The best part about it is your seeing the changes your making first hand and up close.  Many people go their whole lives wondering if they did something to change the world or change the lives of others. Soldiers don't, they know.

whitey said:
  Many people go their whole lives wondering if they did something to change the world or change the lives of others. Soldiers don't, they know.

If only it was that simple......but its not.

CDN Aviator said:
If only it was that simple......but its not.

I haven't gotten my date for BMQ yet, maybe my expectations are unrealistic then.

whitey said:
I haven't gotten my date for BMQ yet, maybe my expectations are unrealistic then.

it will be something that you can answer again thought upon completion of your training and when you do your first deployment.

I've only been in the CF two years but I guess I can add my two cents. I'm not overly patriotic, and I don't personally agree with many aspects of Canadian society. I do this job because I want too, and its what I enjoy and am good at. The army isn't some super moral organization being the only thing holding the world together, but it is a VERY necessary evil.

I think there are a few types of people in the CF that are simply drawn to it and destined to serve, regardless of the sacrifice and hardships. The actual reason for joining may differ slightly, but they are still cut from the same metal in my opinion. There are also those who like to pretend they are like that, but you can see through them, and they are here for other reasons.

Like it or not we are at the whims of our political masters to deploy (or not) for whatever reasons they decide, good or bad. We don't get to choose our fights but are expected to perform well regardless. Time away, lost relationships and personal sacrifice are all part of it I guess and probably always will be. Some people (and you know who you are) are meant to do this sort of thing. Sacrifice after sacrifice and and still going forward and wanting to be back in the action even without any true recognition. While supporting the troops is all well and good, most of these individuals who give up everything for the CF will never be understood by joe public, that's just life and they deal with it and keep on going...because it is an intrinsic part of who they are.

As an outsider looking in, that's how I see it.

I don't think there's any simple answers. And there definitely isn't just one.

I think you have to look at several different things.

You should look first at someones reasons for joining. What attracted them to the military? Why did they choose to commit themselves to armed service? Do they look at it as a career, or as a stepping-stone to another career? There's 17 pages of under this topic here, and the different answers are diverse:

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/31273.0.html

Next, you should look at a person's reasons for staying in service. What events have they encountered while they served (and once again, never the same for everyone), and how did it affect them? Were career decisions based on this.

I can think of many reasons as to why, but are they the right answers, or a combination of answers?

Stability

I wouldn't say money is any single motivator. Like CDN Aviator said, it's not that great, and a lot of people could to the same thing on civvy street, and make more money. However, the military does offer varying degrees of stability. You know you'll get your paycheck. You know you'll have benefits. You know that there is a set career progression. This could be especially appealing to people who aren't HS Graduates, or just High School Graduates. Even with post-secondary education, it's hard to find the same kind of stability in any profession.

But is this enough for someone to risk life and limb?

Patriotism

Surely this is something that touches on most people who join the military. Love of country. But I don't think you'll find many people who have this as a sole reason for joining. And what if suddenly you find yourself not agreeing with things going on in the country, and then having to perform actions that you may not personally agree or believe in. Would you stay? And would you still be willing to risk life and limb for Queen and Country?

Adventure

I think this one is a big reason for people to serve. They seek adventure. Excitement. They don't want the 9-5 hustle and bustle of the rat race. They want to do things with High velocity, danger, get the adrenaline going. Many will find some of that, but also be disappointed when they realize how many long periods of boredom or low-intensity accompany said adventure.

And then of course, does this adrenaline high you get when faced with some of the danger of adventure outway self-preservation, or a lot of the BS that comes with the lifestyle?

Tradition

Some people join out of a sense of loyalty to family tradition. They've been influenced by members of their family who have joined, or are comfortable with the army lifestyle because they've grown up with it always in the background. They've heard the stories, seen pictures, and what to be part of it. Maybe to bring them closer to other family members, maybe out of a sense of pride.

Pride

This in itself could also be a reason. Pride in what you do. Pride in doing and being something that most people can't fathom. Doing things that many are incapable or unwilling to do themselves.

This is such a difficult question, because you can have so many factors that influence you when it comes to military service. Especially once that service changes from peacetime to wartime service. Many people will change their minds. Many get jaded. Many just thrive, no matter what.

What would you do if you got out of the military? A completely different career path, or something along the same lines?

Do you love what you do? And what if you stop loving it?

I know this isn't an answer, but just some thoughts to throw in the mix.

Some good thoughts to add into the thought process...But not a personal answer.

whitey said:
        I'm not sure If I am the correct person to answer this question, as I am not a soldier yet. But I can tell you what fuels my desire to be a soldier.  Patriotism does play a role in it for me to some extent that much is true, but I like to look at the bigger picture.  Many people go there entire lives working a meaningless job, I mean i know somebody has to be the garbage man, somebody has to be the bartender at your local bar and grill. But for me being or in my case becoming a soldier means knowing that you are making a difference in the world. The best part about it is your seeing the changes your making first hand and up close.  Many people go their whole lives wondering if they did something to change the world or change the lives of others. Soldiers don't, they know.

A lot of people in the beginning may join up for these reasons, and even continue to serve for these reasons, however eventually, in my experience, there comes a point where you are doing the job for nothing else other than your love of what you do and your duty to your fellow comrades. And there will be points in time, when things are not all roses, that your buddies will be the only thing that drives you on, along with the knowing that it is really what you want to do, that it is your true passion.

Beadwindow 7 said:
I don't think there's any simple answers. And there definitely isn't just one.

You may join up for one reason, then stay in for another...

Part of why I joined was feeling the need to "back up" my brother-in-law. He was overseas and getting shot at all the time. It was sort of a urban gang mentality I had when I thought of it "I want to go over and have his back". That was a small part. Another part came after realizing that the job I had wasn't paying the bills, as well, at the end off the day there was nothing left to show for the work I had done. I was back to a blank stage. In the end, I wanted to do something for people where I could help in a small way, to support those that are doing more than I know I can give. I love doing what I'm doing, I feel as though I'm being productive, and people are getting what they need. I don't think I can pin-point any defining moment that makes me want to do this job. I guess someone has to supply people, why not me? It's not that bad of a job I think.

I've still got nothing ...  :-\

Still pondering; perhaps the answer to this is also the answer to that question about eternal youth ... and while I sit here & ponder - they are both escaping me.

Personally I think everyone is going for the easy answer...I'm good at it...someone has to do it....etc etc

There is more to it then that, there has to be or we are very very sad creatures indeed. I mean I cannot see "I am good at it" and "it's a job" "and it's stable" being sufficient reason to pay the price that we do. Or at the very least I know it doesn't cut it as reasons enough for me.

BulletMagnet said:
Personally I think everyone is going for the easy answer...I'm good at it...someone has to do it....etc etc

There is more to it then that, there has to be or we are very very sad creatures indeed. I mean I cannot see "I am good at it" and "it's a job" "and it's stable" being sufficient reason to pay the price that we do. Or at the very least I know it doesn't cut it as reasons enough for me.

I understand that you are looking for something more meaningful. I was born into this. I never once given thought to doing anything else than the military. I was bit by the flying bug well before i knew how to talk. I grew up a military brat. I walked into a CFRC but stroke on coincidence one day on the way to school. It was just meant to be. I didnt chose this life, it chose me.

Now that is at least an answer I can understand the life chose you. Yeah I am looking for more meaningful but maybe people just aren't willing to exaime it past that answer there. Or maybe really that is the only answer there is.

BulletMagnet said:
Now that is at least an answer I can understand the life chose you. Yeah I am looking for more meaningful but maybe people just aren't willing to exaime it past that answer there. Or maybe really that is the only answer there is.

I wish i had better for you. Its a question that is well worth examining. I stopped thinking about it when i figured out it was just meant to be and that it is who i am.

This is like an assignment in a Philosophy Crse.  You could have just as easily, started a thread on "What is the meaning of Life?"  You'd probably land up with just as many wide and varied dissertations.  Is there an answer this question, or is a different answer for each individual?

Back