• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pros/Cons

Greenbyname

Inactive
Reaction score
Genuine question here. Situation: Ex British Army,  enlisted as a Cbt Engr, 1 op tour as a Sapper in Northern Ireland, commissioned from the ranks into Royal Artillery, 2 tours of Iraq in the infantry role, further tour of Afghan on the guns. Qualified in EOD and after resigning my commission spent 8 years doing EOD/mine clearance for the UN in South Sudan/Uganda/DRC/Jordan. Interested in joining the reserves as I've immigrated. Previous experience isn't taken into account, including commission and offered the opportunity to re enlist as a Sapper. I am also employed full time in a good career.

Question: Without taking the money into consideration, is there any reason to consider doing this? Looking to keep up or build on current skills/quals, find something that can offer an opportunity to challenge or push myself a bit and have a bit of fun doing it. Also feel I have useful knowledge to pass on. What I've been offered doesn't seem to offer those things and am not getting much in the way of useful advice from the recruiting office.

Looking for positives here. Given background and experience, what would the good people of this forum suggest?  Open to other combat trades. Forgot to mention I speak, read and write Arabic and all residence/citizenship requirements have already been met, so no need to discuss. In your own time, go on!

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Your qualifications could put you in advance standing for some CAF courses, but you would need to apply for a PLAR and provide documentation to support (course reports, military service files). You may also only be offered whatever position is available at the unit you went to. If they're only hiring NCM Cbt Engrs, that's what they're going to offer. They may not have officer positions open.

I suspect you would fly through some of the Cbt Engr courses, and based on your EOD/mine clearance experience would become a valuable asset to help train others in your unit. You also need to go into this with an open mind and realize that you're starting fresh in a new country's military, and despite your life experience and previous service, you're still the new guy. Being a quiet professional and assisting others will quickly get you noticed as a leader with a lot to offer.

The OP may find this discussion of interest,

Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/42867.75

Thanks for the responses gents. I've taken what you said on board. I'll keep an open mind and give it a go. I believe a full PLAR is already underway. I've certainly submitted all my certs  and service records and they did say it would be sent to Gage town for the PLAR, so I hope it is anyway. Let's see how things turn out!
Cheers

Back