• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Proper footwear for DEU's?

Bonko

Inactive
Reaction score
Attending a New Year's Levee and it's supposed to be 1A's and just looking through my footwear I was issued and I only see Oxford's isn't the standard army footwear for DEU's supposed to be those ankle boots? I'm not to sure on matter can anyone shed some light on the situation?

For NCMs, outside of parades where the footwear is specified, I always thought that oxfords and ankle boots were at the discretion of the member?

In most units, Oxfords were usually reserved for officers, and taboo for NCMs to wear, until they reached the more senior ranks (MWO and CWO). 

Highland Regiments are another story, and Oxfords would be the norm.  The OPs profile lists them as being a Gnr, so one would defer to what is the norm for those in the Artillery. 

Just making sure since it's my father's(Air Force) New Year's Levee and his CWO will be inspecting and I don't want to be making the old man look bad since the only footwear I was issued reserve side were these oxfords :S Thanks for the posts.

Keeping in mind that I am Navy and there may be Army-specific customs that I am unaware of, but I AM a Supply Tech (maybe Vern can correct me with more Army-specific advice) ...

In my experience, in general, Jr NCM's usually wear Ankle boots with their 1A's and Snr NCO's and officers wear Oxford's, but either is correct (in 18 years, I have only ever seen Officers dressed down for wearing Ankle boots with 1A's)

Bonko,

While parading, Army NCMs customarily wear ankle boots with 1As & Officers wear their oxfords.  However, both are officially 'authorized' for wear with 1As (that's why you get issued them). This is why Orders for an Army parade will normally specificly state under "Dress: "DEU 1As with ankle boots for NCMs, DEU 1As with Oxfords for Officers". Either are acceptable for wear to the New Years Levee if the "Dress" states only "DEU 1As" (that leaves you a choice) - and I'd personally recommend the oxfords because:

1) They're much more comfortable; &
2) You gotta wear 'em when you get the rare chance to!!

Merry Christmas!!

Otis said:
Keeping in mind that I am Navy and there may be Army-specific customs that I am unaware of, but I AM a Supply Tech (maybe Vern can correct me with more Army-specific advice) ...

In my experience, in general, Jr NCM's usually wear Ankle boots with their 1A's and Snr NCO's and officers wear Oxford's, but either is correct (in 18 years, I have only ever seen Officers dressed down for wearing Ankle boots with 1A's)

So...what about WOs, MWOs and CWOs?  ;D

The misuse of the terms "jnr/snr NCM" and WOs being included in the Snr NCO catagory has always irked me.

Eye In The Sky said:

The misuse of the terms "jnr/snr NCM" and WOs being included in the Snr NCO catagory has always irked me.

We survived forever without the 'NCM' phrase, and everything worked fine. I still don't use the terms

Look at it the other way. It said officers. It didn't say commissioned or by warrant. ;)

Most parades usually find me in Patrols with quarter Wellingtons and spurs. On the odd occasion that I wear DEU it is with my oxfords. Generally, here, we require everyone up to and including Sgt to wear ankle boots. WO and up wear oxfords with DEU.

Eye In The Sky said:

No, I meant NCMs (every rank of them ...). I'm on parade in DEU1As in my ankle boots too.  ;)  Just as my 9erD (an MWO Armd [RCD]) did for Leliefontein.

Regarding NCMS:

NCMs = all non-commissioned members (Pte/OS to CWO/CPO1);
Pte = Ptes
Jr NCO = Cpl/LS to MCpl/MS;
Snr NCO = Sgt / PO2; &
WOs.

I realize & understand the difference in the terms ... I indeed used the one that I intended to use. Some Armd Regts have their WOs & above wear oxfords in DEU 1As as the officers wear; rather that's a Unit thing, not an Army thing.

Well, if Bonko only has oxfords and it is an Air Force Levee  ;D, it's all a moot point for him. 
Bonko, enjoy the festivities!

Just bring coffee, my AF friends say that gets them out of any dress problem  ;D (usually said when making army jokes  :()

Thanks all for the input! I wish reserves taught all of this crap! Merry belated xmas everyone and a happy new year!

ArmyVern said:
No, I meant NCMs (every rank of them ...). I'm on parade in DEU1As in my ankle boots too.  ;)  Just as my 9erD (an MWO Armd [RCD]) did for Leliefontein.

Regarding NCMS:

NCMs = all non-commissioned members (Pte/OS to CWO/CPO1);
Pte = Ptes
Jr NCO = Cpl/LS to MCpl/MS;
Snr NCO = Sgt / PO2; &
WOs.

I realize & understand the difference in the terms ... I indeed used the one that I intended to use. Some Armd Regts have their WOs & above wear oxfords in DEU 1As as the officers wear; rather that's a Unit thing, not an Army thing.

AV,

I know you know those ;D my post was just a little (friendly) dig at OTIS for the "Snr NCOs and Officers" line.  >:D

Eye In The Sky said:
AV,

I know you know those ;D my post was just a little (friendly) dig at OTIS for the "Snr NCOs and Officers" line.  >:D

I know that you are evil just like me. Reminds me of the time that a certain CO had a "mandatory briefing for all Snr NCOs", so us WOs & above sent only the Sgts (even realizing he had intended for us all to be there) ... it didn't go over well, but after multitudes of attempts by "us" to address the improper addressing "of us" by the CoC --- the problem with terminolgy and "improper addressing" seemed to disappear shortly thereafter.  >:D

It's a situation that would be akin to me constantly referring to a Captain as a "Senior Officer". Sorry Technoviking.  >:D

Eye In The Sky said:
AV,

And this is me ignoring the bunch of you ...

Otis said:
la la LA la ... not listening!

I already issued them to your docs today ... when you get back to the sup world - you'll have to write them off!!  >:D

Great, I can chalk them up with the Size 18, Air Force blue, FEMALE heavy weather overcoat that is ALSO somehow on my clothing docs ... did I mention that according to the history it was issued to me while I was serving on a ship overseas? DAMN I'm good! To rabbit kit I'm in NO way entitled to from half a world away ... I am Bin Rat hear me roar!

Now back to your previously scheduled ignoring ...

Back