• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promtion Vs. Expertise

M

mod13

After 10 years in the military I was to be promoted and effectivley taken "off the tools", to lead from a chair. I was happy with where I was at in my career and had the respect of both my troops and my superiors. But a "career manager" and probably several "higher forces" viewed my PER‘s and decided it was in my best interest to promote me. I found this unacceptable and after talking with my superiors within my unit (who where very suportive) I basically found there was nothing I could really do...people don‘t turn down promotions. I eventually got out, and am now making twice the money I was in the military, but I feel the adventure wasn‘t over.

Is there not a way to keep the good tradesmen "on the tools" where they can give the Pte‘s direct instruction, helping them by working with them more as an equal, than an instructor (in a garrison atmosphere), while maintaining a payscale to compensate there expertise, more than there (for lack of a better term) baglicking?

All I know the Canadian tax payer paid A LOT of money to train me, now the private sector is reaping the reward of that training, when it could have been real easy to keep me in the military.

There was an extensive study conducted on this very issue called "TASK" (Trade And Skill Knowledge) wherein there would be two pay scales, one for leadership and one for technical proficiency. Unfortunately it was dumped because it was found that there was no way to provide any meaningful raises on the "horizontal scale" as the TASK pay was called without a total revamp of the pay scale which is a virtual impossiblity due to the fact that CF wages are tied directly to the Public Sector.

FYI it is now possible to decline a promotion, supposedly without it becoming career suicide although I‘d suggest that you‘d never get another promotion PER from your unit unless it was due to a reason such as being forced into a move that was detrimental to your quality of life due to the promotion.

Back