• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotions in the CAF [Merged]

Well just another follow up. They frankly do not want to help me at all. Ive asked my MWO and my CWO and I am getting the run around

Here is what i have

3 years + in the REG force
1 year + in the PRES

QL3 and QL5 Qualified as a VTECH.
First aid Instructor's mod 2

I personally feel that i deserve at least my hook.

I am not sure on what to do? I am currently going to gagetown on my QL3 on my new trade, would it be better idea to put in a memo requesting a review of my prior service for promotion?

Josh

So you are not QL3 qualified in your current trade.

If you were a Vtech, still, sure, but you aren't anymore.

Why don't you wait until you're done your 3's. They'll probably give you your hook on the grad. S'not like you're going to be paid differently.

I think you are getting old trade and new trade mixed up.  If you want to be credited for time and qualifications in old trade then be in old trade.  If you want to be credited for time and qualifications in new trade then get some TI and qualifications in new trade.

I know what you are saying ive been a P3 now for over 2 years. I just feel that i deserve my first hook. As in guys in my building are getting theres at not even 20 months in.

I just want a honest answer and im trying to figure out. I handed this memo in aug 29 /07 and i am still awaiting a reply

JDMCRX said:
As in guys in my building are getting theres at not even 20 months in.

Yes, but are these guys trades qualified in their current trade?

Yes they are QL3 in this trade. Well maybe ill wait possibly i could get promoted to CPL. Thing that makes no sense to me in this fact is that a Person say a CPL 1 transfers to say LOG and he is allowed to keep his CPL  ???

From CFAO 49-4

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/049-04_e.asp

28.    A Pte who has attained QL5A and who OTs to a new MOC as a Pte may be
promoted to Cpl when the time prerequisites of the new MOC have been met.

30.    A member who is on OT ceases to be eligible for promotion in the
former MOC effective the date of OT in accordance with 11-12.

JDMCRX said:
I know what you are saying ive been a P3 now for over 2 years. I just feel that i deserve my first hook. As in guys in my building are getting theres at not even 20 months in.

I just want a honest answer and im trying to figure out. I handed this memo in aug 29 /07 and i am still awaiting a reply

I feel like I deserve to be CDS.  Does that count?  No.  Think about it.

JDMCRX said:
Yes they are QL3 in this trade. Well maybe ill wait possibly i could get promoted to CPL. Thing that makes no sense to me in this fact is that a Person say a CPL 1 transfers to say LOG and he is allowed to keep his CPL  ???

You weren't a Cpl were you?  You were a Pte, and like the Cpl, you kept your rank.  You don't get promoted for changing Trades.

Exactly. I have the time required to recieve my PTE (t) or my CPL

I was not accredited my CPL due to the fact that i was jerked around in the RES unit and all my paper work was not organized tell i transfered back to the reg force about 2 months later.

No offence GW why must you be a tit about somethings. Im asking for advice not someone to be a tit on EVERY post .

28.    A Pte who has attained QL5A and who OTs to a new MOC as a Pte may be
promoted to Cpl when the time prerequisites of the new MOC have been met.

Just says you can be, doesn't say you have to be. That's up to your CoC.

As far as George is concerned, I'll be honest. You are sounding pretty whiny

If you met the qualfication and time requirment to be promoted to Cpl BEFORE your OT, then you should speak with your supervisor about this.  You may be eligible to greve this situation.  You will not be granted your promotion, but you may be able to receive retro pay for Cpl.  Because of an Admin error that you have missed your promotion should not count against you.  Once again, I advice you to use the CoC and perhaps speck with someone from your BOR to see what actions you may be able to take.

You will only get promoted only when you have met all the requirements for promotion in your new trade.

Shad4now said:
If you met the qualfication(qualification) and time requirment(requirement) to be promoted to Cpl BEFORE your OT, then you should speak with your supervisor about this.  You may be eligible to greve(grieve) this situation.  You will not be granted your promotion, but you may be able to receive retro pay for Cpl.  Because of an Admin error that you have missed your promotion should not count against you.  Once again, I advice(advise) you to use the CoC and perhaps speck(speak) with someone from your BOR to see what actions you may be able to take.

You will only get promoted only when you have met all the requirements for promotion in your new trade.

Don't they teach clerks and law students how to spell anymore? Maybe that's where you dropped your letter. Badly typed legal briefs. Just wondering.

JDMCRX said:
No offence GW why must you be a tit about somethings. Im asking for advice not someone to be a tit on EVERY post .

Actually JDMCRX, as many here will tell you, Promotions are not a "Right", but are earned, approved and the member must meet certain criteria to be granted a promotion.  Maybe, you did not meet all the criteria.  Perhaps you were not what they were looking for.  Perhaps you did not have your Medical in time for your 'Promotion' because you went off and joined the Regular Force.  There are many reasons why you may not have been promoted.  Your self-centered whiny attitude here may be one of them.

Perhaps it is you......Yes YOU!.....who may owe me the apology.

recceguy said:
Don't they teach clerks and law students how to spell anymore? Maybe that's where you dropped your letter. Badly typed legal briefs. Just wondering.

I am guessing it is high school law because he/she would be crucified at law school and fired as a clerk.  (My comments may be off topic; however, I simply can't let people think lawyers would be permitted to submit commentary in such a haphazard fashion. ;))

One of the requirements for promotion to Cpl now is "recommended by their Chain of Command".

I've seen it happen a couple of times where the member had the requisite amount of time in and the required qualification, but their Cpls eluded them due to a non-endorsement by their CoC. Both times it was for crappy attitude and the few extras etc that attitude had earned them. Cpls are not "automatic" give-me-its after four years TI. 99% of people will get them -- it's that 1% who won't.

JDMCRX,

What did your ETP Instruction state? If you weren't happy with it, why did you accept? If you weren't happy with it -- address it appropriately. I just posted last week on this site what you are required to do to have your ETP and file reviewed by CFRG if you feel it is in error. Search for it.

So, now we can lock this up.

ArmyVern
The Milnet.ca Staff

Your answer is in your first post:

JDMCRX said:
I joined in 2003 sept. I was a AVN tech for 2 years
(2 years as a qualified Pte in your "old" Trade.)
JDMCRX said:
and I had to transfer to reserves for a year were i was QL5 Qualified Reg force
(1/4 year as a Res Pte.).
JDMCRX said:
Ive been back in the Air force for over a year now awaiting my QL3 course
(1 more year, on a brand new contract, but unqualified QL3 in your "New" Trade.).

Total time as a Pte 3 1/4 years.

JDMCRX said:
Under the  CFAO 49-4 to be PTE(t) it requires 30 months in the CF and Min QL3.

JDMCRX said:
Now i feel i have met this requirement.

Sorry, but you don't meet the requirement.  You have not completed your QL3 in your new Trade.

So basically I should wait tell my QL3 course and possibly run it by my course Sgt and see what he has to say. Please if you do not have anything positive to post up keep it to your self. I know a rank is a deserved privilege.

And GW i joined in 2003 Sept.

JDMCRX said:
So basically I should wait tell my QL3 course and possibly run it by my course Sgt and see what he has to say. Please if you do not have anything positive to post up keep it to your self. I know a rank is a deserved privilege.

And GW i joined in 2003 Sept.

Note: He said that's when you joined. Your ResF time counts for 1 day RegF for every 4 days ResF TI.

Or you could request a review of your ETP by CFRG. It's been said. You've been offered up many POVs as to your next steps by staff members and other members of this site. Lose the attitude.

Locked.

Do NOT start another one ... it will result in the warning system becoming applicable.

Fair warning.

ArmyVern
The Milnet.ca Staff

Don't tell your QL3 Crse.  Wait until you have completed your QL3 Crse and get posted.  You may be fetting over nothing.

As you have "REJOINED" the CF in a "NEW" Trade, did you even bother to look at what they were offering you in your "Contract"?  You did keep a copy of your Message, on which it will state what IPC level you are to be paid, and what qualifications you will be granted, as well as time towards your Time in Rank/Seniority towards promotion.  In most cases they will require you to attain your QL3 in your new Trade, as it is no use promoting someone who fails and is Released as a Training Failure.

Your Reserve time, by the way, is only counted as 1/4 time (Class B and Class C are Full Time).

Back