• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotions in the CAF [Merged]

Occam said:

:goodpost:

So if I am reading Para 6. correctly, the OP "may" be promoted at the discretion of the CO.  Good info and thanks for finding that, I've never seen it before!

It seems a lot of people aren't aware of it - at a previous posting, I had a subordinate become a 7 year Pte, while I was waving that the whole time he was on MELs.  When I finally convinced someone to pick up the phone and call DGMC for verification, the young fella finally got his second hook and three years of back pay (at Spec 1).

The memo is in amongst the other policy documents at the DGMC "Promotions" page, same place where all the CMs post their trade briefs, etc.  - http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgmc/mc-cm/promotions/index-eng.asp

blackberet17 said:
You're not giving me much hope there, folks...;D

For...? Reality and hope rarely meet I find when it comes to buerocracy...beurocracy...Beu...paperwork.

NSDreamer said:
For...? Reality and hope rarely meet I find when it comes to buerocracy...beurocracy...Beu...paperwork red tape aka BS.

TFTFY

I meant hope of adv promo.

I am aware of that CFAO as i have quoted it to my clerk. My clerk will not send my paper work up the CoC for them to review it that is my issue. Thank you for that link it clears alot of stuff up. thatbeing said still the issue of my clerk holding my paper work instead of sending it up. Is there a chance you could send me a message to help me clarify some things?

youngtpr said:
I am aware of that CFAO as i have quoted it to my clerk. My clerk will not send my paper work up the CoC for them to review it that is my issue. Thank you for that link it clears alot of stuff up. thatbeing said still the issue of my clerk holding my paper work instead of sending it up. Is there a chance you could send me a message to help me clarify some things?

Just wondering why you are dealing with your clerk, ask to talk to your Troop Commander or Troop WO and let them deal with the administration, it is their job.  I know it is easier said than done, but they can talk to the chain of command easier than you.

youngtpr said:

are you still on T-cat?

I am dealing with the clerk because I am currently on a tasking and we have a new chain.  I am not dealing with my clerk as you put It I had questions for her and that was the answers I was given. Yes I am still on t-cat

Good2Go said:
Youngsldr:  did you ever get this resolved?

You're kidding right?  And I make that comment, with nothing but good intentions.

If you think you can help Good2Go, PM me.  This has been nothing but a cruel and VERY disappointing nightmare that borders on disgust!

This one just came out this afternoon.

01  01  181340Z JAN  17  RR      UUUU                CANFORGEN 012/17

NDHQ CMPC OTTAWA
          CANFORGEN
UNCLAS CANFORGEN 012/17 CMP 009/17
SIC WAZ
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
SUBJECT: DE-LINKING OF MEDICAL CONDITION FROM PROMOTION CRITERIA
REFS: A.  AFCX 13 JAN 17
B. QR AND O11.02, CONDITIONS GOVERNING PROMOTIONS
C. CFAO 11-6, COMMISSIONING AND PROMOTION POLICY - OFFICERS -
REGULAR FORCE
D. CFAO 49-4, CAREER POLICY - NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS - REGULAR
FORCE
E. CFAO 49-5, CAREER POLICY - NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBER - PRIMARY
RESERVE
F. CFAO 49-12, PROMOTION POLICY - OFFICERS - PRIMARY RESERVE
G. DAOD 5023-1, MINIMUM OPERATIONAL STANDARDS RELATED TO
UNIVERSALITY OF SERVICE
H. CANFORGEN 087/06, NEW DAODS ON UNIVERSALITY OF SERVICE, MINIMUM
OPERATIONAL STANDARDS RELATED TO UNIVERSALITY OF SERVICE, AND CF
PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM
1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS CANFORGEN IS TO ANNOUNCE THAT CAF MEMBER
ASSIGNED A TEMPORARY OR PERMANENT MEDICAL CATEGORY, THAT IS LOWER
THAN APPLICABLE MINIMUM REQUIRED, WILL REMAIN ELIGIBLE FOR
PROMOTION, SUBJECT TO THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE
2. A FULL-DAY ARMED FORCES COUNCIL EXECUTIVE (AFCX) MEETING FOCUSING
ON CAF PERSONNEL SUPPORT WAS HELD AT REF A. THE CDS AND L1S
EXPRESSED THEIR STRONG COMMITMENT TO FUNDAMENTALLY REVAMP THE WAY
ADMINISTRATION AND SUPPORT IS PROVIDED TO CAF MEMBERS AND THEIR
FAMILIES. MORE DETAILS ON A NUMBER OF RELATED INITIATIVES WILL BE
MADE AVAILABLE IN THE COMING MONTHS
3. CAF SENIOR LEADERSHIP IS CONCERNED WITH THE HEALTH OF ITS MEMBERS
AND WISHES TO INSTILL AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE MEMBERS WILL SEEK MEDICAL
SUPPORT WITHOUT STIGMA OR APPREHENSION OF IMPACTS ON PROMOTION. AS
WELL, THEIR PURPOSE IS TO RECOGNIZE MEMBERS’ MERIT AND THEIR FUTURE
CONTRIBUTION WHILE THEY REMAIN IN THE CAF. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY,
CAF MEMBERS, WHO WOULD OTHERWISE BE PROMOTABLE, WILL BE PROMOTED AS
MERITED NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR TEMPORARY OR PERMANENT MEDICAL
CATEGORY, SUBJECT TO THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE. MEMBERS MUST STILL
MEET ALL OTHER PROMOTION CRITERIA TO RECEIVE A SUBSTANTIVE
PROMOTION. IF A MEMBER LACKS ONE OR MORE OTHER PROMOTION
PREREQUISITES THE MEMBER MAY BE PROMOTED IN AN ACTING CAPACITY AS
PER CURRENT POLICY (REFS B TO F). MEMBER WILL HOWEVER BE REQUIRED TO
BE SUBSTANTIVE BEFORE BEING PROMOTED TO THE NEXT RANK
4. THERE MAY BE INSTANCES WHERE A MEDICAL CONDITION WILL ALSO
PREVENT A MEMBER FROM ACHIEVING OTHER PROMOTION PREREQUISITES, SUCH
AS ATTENDING A MANDATED CAREER COURSE, OR COMPLETING THE FORCE
EVALUATION. IN SUCH INSTANCES, SET PERIODS TO MEET CRITERIA WILL NO
LONGER BE IMPOSED ON MEMBER. HE/SHE WILL THEREFORE REMAIN PROMOTED
IN AN ACTING CAPACITY UNTIL ALL PREREQUISITES CAN BE MET. NOT
ATTENDING OR COMPLETING A MANDATED CAREER COURSE OR THE FORCE
EVALUATION DUE TO A MEDICAL CONDITION WILL NO LONGER RESULT IN A
REVERSION FROM ACTING RANK TO PREVIOUS SUBSTANTIVE RANK.
FURTHERMORE, MEMBERS PROMOTED TO AN ACTING RANK WHO ARE RETAINED
WILL NOW BE EMPLOYED AT THEIR ACTING RANK
5. THAT SAID, THE FORCE EVALUATION IS STILL A PREREQUISITE FOR
SUBSTANTIVE PROMOTION. NOTWITHSTANDING ELIGIBILITY FOR PROMOTION,
MEMBERS WHO ARE PERMANENTLY UNABLE TO MEET ONE OR MORE OF THE
MINIMUM OPERATIONAL STANDARDS RELATED TO THE UNIVERSALITY OF SERVICE
PRINCIPLE WILL BE RELEASED FROM THE CAF UNDER REF G.
6. A MEMBER’S POSTING AND APPOINTMENT AT THE NEXT RANK WILL TAKE
INTO ACCOUNT HIS OR HER EMPLOYMENT AND DEPLOYMENT LIMITATIONS, AS
DICTATED BY THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE
7. THIS CHANGE IN POLICY TAKES EFFECT IMMEDIATELY, AND IS NOT
RETROACTIVE. TO RE-EMPHASIZE, THE OVERALL INTENT IS THAT A POTENTIAL
DENIAL OF PROMOTION SHOULD NO LONGER BE A BARRIER TO CARE. OVER THE
NEXT FEW MONTHS, MPC, THROUGH DGMC, WILL MONITOR THE EXECUTION OF
THIS INITIATIVE TO DETERMINE POTENTIAL IMPACTS AND ADJUSTMENTS THAT
COULD BE REQUIRED, AND WILL AMEND ACCORDINGLY AS NECESSARY. CAF
PERTAINING POLICIES, INCLUDING CANFORGEN AT REF H, WILL ALSO BE
FORMALLY AMENDED IN DUE COURSE. THIS ORDER SUPERSEDES OTHER ORDERS
OR DIRECTIVES TO THE EXTENT THAT THEY CONFLICT WITH DIRECTION IN
THIS CANFORGEN

END OF ENGLISH TEXT / LE TEXTE FRANCAIS SUIT

PuckChaser said:
Comes to mind, but wouldn't change a thing for the guy. He's still acting lacking until retirement and reverts to Corporal because he couldn't complete the course.

As would happen for anyone else.

What this message appears to do is to remove the stigma if illness or injury from the promotion process. I wager there are a good many folks who are on TCat (pregnancy for example) who could, and should get promoted. They then still have to meet all other criteria just like the rest of us.

And how many decades has it taken to understand that this situation (and stigma) has affected so many, such that thousands of people would not go for an annual physical/PHA.

ModlrMike said:
As would happen for anyone else.

What this message appears to do is to remove the stigma if illness or injury from the promotion process. I wager there are a good many folks who are on TCat (pregnancy for example) who could, and should get promoted. They then still have to meet all other criteria just like the rest of us.

Pers on TCats for MATA are promotable while pregnant.  Have been since forever.

Phenomenal news. There will be wrinkles to iron out, but there's no reason someone on med cat for, say, PTSD that's being properly managed should have their career progression sunk. Proper MELs can manage most of the risk on this.

Couple of questions:

1. Where is the reference that states "you must have a valid FORCE test in order to be promoted";
2. Where is the reference that states "you must have a valid MEDICAL in order to be promoted";
3. If someone is on a T6, but has not actually gone back to see the doctor, is their "medical" still "valid"? I.e. if it's been 2 years since their last full medical, but they were put on TCAT 12 months ago, and were supposed to go to the doctor every 6 months, but haven't, are they promotable?
4. If someone is put on a PCAT that has been sent to DMCA for an AR because they are of HIGH RISK of breaching UOS, are they promotable, or do you have to wait for the finding before you can promote him? (assuming D MED POL doesn't find they're in breach of UOS).

Back