• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotion in the Reserve

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
What are the requirements to promote from Capt to Maj in the Air Reserve? Member is an ex Reg F Capt, that had CFR’ed from WO to Capt while in the Reg F. They do not have a degree. A Maj Class A position is available. Local Air Reserve flight isn’t being useful…

Do they meet the training prerequisites for their occupation?

Lacking a degree, as I recall, there is a CANFORGEN in force that will preclude a substantive promotion. (MND Report to the PM on the Management and Leadership of the CAF 1997, recommendation #10, as implemented in the Res F, and often referred to as MND 10B).

Do they meet the training prerequisites for their occupation?

Lacking a degree, as I recall, there is a CANFORGEN in force that will preclude a substantive promotion. (MND Report to the PM on the Management and Leadership of the CAF 1997, recommendation #10, as implemented in the Res F, and often referred to as MND 10B).
Yes they do.

I am aware of the requirement for a degree but I have seen people without a degree promoted A/L.

Edit: In which policy was that recommendation included?

The degreed officer corps policy specifically does not apply to the CFR programme. So that shouldn’t be a hard disqualification.

The degreed officer corps policy specifically does not apply to the CFR programme. So that shouldn’t be a hard disqualification.
I am aware of DAOD 5002-10 but was wondering whether that exemption was just for the initial entry or remained throughout the career of the member.

2.5 Officers commissioned under the CFRP are exempt from the normal requirement for CAF officers to hold a baccalaureate degree.

I am aware of DAOD 5002-10 but was wondering whether that exemption was just for the initial entry or remained throughout the career of the member.

2.5 Officers commissioned under the CFRP are exempt from the normal requirement for CAF officers to hold a baccalaureate degree.
Flipped you a PM with the name of someone who can help you and the unit.

4.4 Eligibility for promotion to higher ranks occurs in accordance with officer military occupation specifications and applicable CAF promotion policy.

Where can we find the CAF promotion policy?
In a terrible hodgepodge of CFAOs and CANFORGENs. I'd say that it's on the verge of being replaced with a new policy suite, but it's been "on the verge" for a decade or so...

CFAOs don’t mention a degree as a requirement and I couldn’t find anything in the hundreds of CANFORGENs related degree requirement. Would you happen to know which CANFORGEN(s)?

So, the CAF App search engine is apparently a lot better than DWAN’s. CANFORGEN 154/12 clarifies the situation. If CFR, no degree requirement to promote to Maj.

Thanks all!

So, the CAF App search engine is apparently a lot better than DWAN’s. CANFORGEN 154/12 clarifies the situation. If CFR, no degree requirement to promote to Maj.

Thanks all!
I’m currently waiting for a BPSO interview but was wanting to confirm a few things. If you CFRP from Sgt ( I don’t have my WO crse completed,I can only get BMOQA PLAR’d) do I go to 2Lt or Lt. Do we get anytime in rank when we transfer? Ie if I was a Sgt for 5 years do I can some time credit for promotion from Lt to Capt?

I’m currently waiting for a BPSO interview but was wanting to confirm a few things. If you CFRP from Sgt ( I don’t have my WO crse completed,I can only get BMOQA PLAR’d) do I go to 2Lt or Lt.
If you CFR as a substantive Sergeant (or a Warrant Officer), you will be immediately promoted to Lt upon commissioning. This is spelled out in DAOD 5002-10 Para 4.3.

If you CFR as a substantive Sergeant (or a Warrant Officer), you will be immediately promoted to Lt upon commissioning. This is spelled out in DAOD 5002-10 Para 4.3.
Thank you! do you know where I can find which cap badge a CFRP officer wears if I only get credited BMOQ-A? Ie do I have to wear the Tri Service Cornflake, keep my current NCM capbadge or do I wear the officer cap badge before going on the officer occupational course. I’m CFRing into the officer equivalent to me NCM trade.

Your branch or unit will have the rules for that, speak to your Adjt.

Thank you! do you know where I can find which cap badge a CFRP officer wears if I only get credited BMOQ-A? Ie do I have to wear the Tri Service Cornflake, keep my current NCM capbadge or do I wear the officer cap badge before going on the officer occupational course. I’m CFRing into the officer equivalent to me NCM trade.
Dress Regs? Dress instructions | Section 4 Environmental, branch and regimental insignia - Canada.ca

7. Component and Occupational Transfers. Members who have previously been qualified in their former occupation shall wear the cap badge of their new branch effective on the date of their component or occupational transfer. Members who were not qualified in their previous occupation shall wear the CAF universal pattern cap badge until they qualify for their new cap badge in accordance with the procedures established by the individual Branch Advisors.

9. Personnel commissioned from the ranks to a different CAF environment and issued the uniform of the new environment, shall wear the branch insignia consistent with their new DEU.

Back