• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Project Noctua & the Heron UAV - Interim capability to support Afghanistan Ops

Infidel-6 said:
Kamikaze UAV?

This comes up at least once during each mission that my crew does - and probably the other crews as well.

It's a popular notion for a few reasons.

Personally I'm glad Ski-Doo is going to greener pastures but I think then does everyone, to step in on the armed debate yea it would be nice if it was armed but lets not forget on the other hand that there are other agencies flying/controlling armed UAVs over there that have no intention of releasing any weapons nor are they authorized to. Lets not forget that not every person over there planting an IED needs/should be hit, alot of times theres more value in tracking the pers afterwards because no HVTs/MVTs are out there planting them themselves and if you already know where the IED is...................

Just a different perspective.

Loachman said:
This comes up at least once during each mission that my crew does - and probably the other crews as well.

It's a popular notion for a few reasons.

I'll be on the look-out for skidoo kamikaze instead of Skidoo touchdown from now on ;D

Wow. After finding this site and reading now for about a week I realise  that I know nothing about our UAV fleet.....:brickwall:...I guess working on the project, and being in the HHQ on UAV and being engaged in Noctua, Justas, Sperwer and Scan Eagle for the past three years I dont know anything. I want to thank a bunch of you for educating me, and the rest of you for your thought provoking (and educated) responses.

GaryM12 said:
Wow. After finding this site and reading now for about a week I realise  that I know nothing about our UAV fleet.....:brickwall:...I guess working on the project, and being in the HHQ on UAV and being engaged in Noctua, Justas, Sperwer and Scan Eagle for the past three years I dont know anything. I want to thank a bunch of you for educating me, and the rest of you for your thought provoking (and educated) responses.

Not sure if you're being sincere or sarcastic here.  Considering this is your first post I don't know where the sarcasm would be coming from so I'm going to take that as sincere and give you the benefit of the doubt.

Strike said:
Not sure if you're being sincere or sarcastic here.  Considering this is your first post I don't know where the sarcasm would be coming from so I'm going to take that as sincere and give you the benefit of the doubt.

Strike:
The funny thing about the written word is that one cannot hear inflection thereby not being able to deduce the level of sarcasm, which was my intent. While I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I am of the opinion that ones opinion need to be based on facts, not heresay or rumint. After reading 12 pages of posts about the noctua in particular and UAV's in general I have come to the opinion that there are those who posted up who havent got a F*&%ing clue what they are talking about. We have a new capability in the Air Force that is doing stellar work in support of the Army, and is bringing hurt to the bad guys on a regular basis, without being armed. It is a replacement for another UAV, that did stellar work also but wasnt the direction that we wanted to go in, therefore it was replaced. The follow on iteration (which wasnt reachable in the initial planning, therefore it was sidelined in favor of a contracted capability) will be an all out buy of a bunch of UAV's and the stand up of a UAV Sqn, circa 2014. The Noctua is an operational platform, the Scan Ealge is a tactical platform, each one having a distinct role to play. So again, I would like to thank those who educated themselves about the role UAV's have and will continue to play in the Air Force and CF, and for those who dont know whats going on, just ask. Maybe we can change your opinion.

To avoid continuing on the wrong foot on which you set off, try dropping the sarcasm and being a little more diplomatic and explanatory - at least until people get to know you.

We can all benefit from that, and so, perhaps, can you.

Loachman said:
To avoid continuing on the wrong foot on which you set off, try dropping the sarcasm and being a little more diplomatic and explanatory - at least until people get to know you.

We can all benefit from that, and so, perhaps, can you.

Roger that. In my own defence I am a Master Warrant Officer and havent had a sense of diplomacy for some time now, but I promise to try.  ;D

Roger, and thanks.

The more input we have here, and the more accurate it is, the better the site is.

There are a few curmudgeonly people here already, so you'll probably fit in reasonably well.

We still expect people to play nicely, however.

Welcome aboard.

GaryM12 said:
Roger that. In my own defence I am a Master Warrant Officer and havent had a sense of diplomacy for some time now, but I promise to try.  ;D

Fear not; you are not alone.  8)

Welcome aboard.

BrownTown said:
wouldn't having Israelis on our side needlessly put our soldiers at risk? it is a Muslim country, and I don't think the locals would take too kindly to that. I could be entirely wrong, please don't tear me a new a**hole.

No.We already use Israeli mine clearing equipment on the Leopard1.

In regards to the Huron I am disappointed we got it.I never can understand why Canada decides to buy something that we need but make it a little less useful.

We killed many taliban with hellfires from American Pred's and reapers.
If your gonna have to call in other air assets from other countries to bomb what your Huron See's whats the point?And as for the flying skidoo it acted as a good deterrant.....for miles.And the flashing light on it was so bright it would light up our hides.No joke.

I know we already bought it.And I know it was most likely so the Canadian press wouldn't be able to say Canadians are using "killer drones" etc ad nausum.

However I believe its a purchase we will regret,if not already.

X-mo-1979 said:

In regards to the Huron I am disappointed we got it.I never can understand why Canada decides to buy something that we need but make it a little less useful.

If your gonna have to call in other air assets from other countries to bomb what your Huron See's whats the point?And as for the flying skidoo it acted as a good deterrant.....for miles.And the flashing light on it was so bright it would light up our hides.No joke.

I know we already bought it.And I know it was most likely so the Canadian press wouldn't be able to say Canadians are using "killer drones" etc ad nausum.

1- Its "Heron"...........not "Huron"
2- We didnt buy the thing..........

You want to critisize, that fine.make sure you have your facts properly lined up first.

X-mo-1979 said:
And as for the flying skidoo it acted as a good deterrant.....for miles.And the flashing light on it was so bright it would light up our hides.No joke.

Bash on the Skidoo all you want but the truth is that it's noise was actually an asset by RC(S) and helped to develop a whole new set of tactics for UAVs when trying to determine how ROE applied in various situations.

X-mo-1979 said:

In regards to the Huron Heron I am disappointed we got it.I never can understand why Canada decides to buy something that we need but make it a little less useful.

I know we already bought it And I know it was most likely so the Canadian press wouldn't be able to say Canadians are using "killer drones" etc ad nausum.

Gotcha.

Strike said:
Bash on the Skidoo all you want but the truth is that it's noise was actually an asset by RC(S) and helped to develop a whole new set of tactics for UAVs when trying to determine how ROE applied in various situations.

What do you mean?Instead of shooting them you could use less force by driving them away with the skidoo?I know it borders on OPSEC however I don't understand what your getting at.

Absence of a weapon on a UAV is not a big deal, and this has been explained before.

Heron has some useful capabilities that Predator and Reaper lack.

CDN Aviator said:
You want to critisize, that fine. make sure you have your facts properly lined up first.
... and also (maybe) demonstrate that you've read some of the 172 posts prior to yours: build on the previous discussion instead of wasting everyone's time and taking the debate back to t = 0.

RAAF working with CF and MDA--One wonders if our media will notice, or if our goverment will make any announcement regarding what would seem a nice success for a Canadian company:

AIR FORCE TO BEGIN OPERATING ITS FIRST UNMANNED AERIAL SYSTEM
http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/Faulknertpl.cfm?CurrentId=9448

Minister for Defence, Senator John Faulkner, today announced that the Royal Australian Air Force has acquired Heron Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) in close collaboration with Canadian Defence forces.

“This high resolution intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capability will enhance the capability of Australian forces in Afghanistan,” Senator Faulkner said.

The Heron UAV is a one tonne aircraft capable of medium altitude, long endurance flights. Under Project NANKEEN, the Defence Materiel Organisation has signed a contract with Canadian company MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd. (MDA) to lease Heron UAV services which will provide high resolution intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) capability.

The Australian Defence Force has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Canadian Forces which already operates Heron UAVs in Afghanistan [more here].

In July 2009 Royal Australian Air Force and Australian Army personnel undertook Heron training in Canada. These personnel have now been absorbed within the Canadian Heron UAV Detachment at Kandahar airfield conducting combat operations in support of ISAF [not, one imagines, how our government would put the role of our Herons].

This has meant the ADF has rapidly established its Heron capability by drawing on the Canadians’ operational knowledge, experience and facilities.

“The Australian Government greatly appreciates the assistance of the Canadian Defence Force in this project,” Senator Faulkner said...

Media Note:

Imagery is available at:
http://www.defence.gov.au/media/download/2009/Sep/20090907/index.htm

A Heron fact sheet is available at:
http://www.defence.gov.au/publications/HeronFactSheet.pdf  ...

Mark
Ottawa

Drone program to go on hiatus after Afghan mission
Article Link

The Canadian Press

Date: Tuesday Jan. 11, 2011 6:42 AM ET

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — The military will ground Canada's spyplane program after the Afghan combat mission ends this summer.

The commander of the prop-driven CU-170 Herons, which operate out of Kandahar Airfield, said the Canadian Forces will disband his squadron once troops pull out of Kandahar.

Maj. Dave Bolton, the new and final commander of Task Force Erebus, said his team will then go on to other jobs within the military.

"There's a lot of very young people that were involved with this program," he said in an interview.

"There's probably going to be a hiatus of somewhere between two and five years. But those people will still be in the military, and those people will have this experience, and they'll be able to move forward with the yardstick when the time comes."

The Herons were leased as part of the independent Manley commission report to extend Canada's military mission in Afghanistan until 2011.

The vehicles, which are flown by controllers on the ground, help Canada and other members of the U.S.-led coalition keep watch over roads where insurgents are believed to be planting roadside bombs or planing ambushes.

The commander of Canada's air wing in Kandahar, Col. Paul Prevost, lauded the work of Task Force Erebus during a ceremony this week in which Bolton took over command of the drone squad.
More on link

Seems an odd move, UAV are here to stay and will still be needed for training and any other operations we didn't plan for but is dropped into the military lap. I worked on RPV trials in the 80's, my WO worked on the ones in the 60's. Bandaid solution seems to be the way.

The Heron was always intended to support the mission in Afghanistan only; there are other initiatives to acquire UAVs for Canada for the long term.

Back