• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Private Corporal positions for OP Attention Afghanistan?

Spence671

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there are any, or many private/corporal positions for this next tour. I heard you need mod 6 but there must be need for other soldiers who don't, like close protection or something.

Im in a reserve unit,, last week our CSM came in and said they need 35 names for OP Attention. So I put my name in but idk if that means anything. Second question, who do I contact about my component transfer, Ive been waiting for about a year to go Combat Engineer. Im infantry now.

Your Chain of Command is the first place to turn, for answers to these questions. Unverifiable sources on the internet is not the best place to seek info.

Army.ca Staff

Spence671 said:
Does anybody know if there are any, or many private/corporal positions for this next tour. I heard you need mod 6 but there must be need for other soldiers who don't, like close protection or something.

Im in a reserve unit,, last week our CSM came in and said they need 35 names for OP Attention. So I put my name in but idk if that means anything. Second question, who do I contact about my component transfer, Ive been waiting for about a year to go Combat Engineer. Im infantry now.

If you don't hear back for Op Attention it means you didn't merit high enough to have your name submitted.

As for your changing to Engineer, its a bit more complicated as it appears your are doing both a CT and an OT....

Not Canadian,but I have 34 years of US Army experience.I have been where you are at and I suggest that you go ahead and apply.If you are selected great and if you arent,then at least you tried.I call it the spaghetti approach.Throw it at the wall and see if it sticks. ;D
Good luck.

Spence671 said:

There has been talk floating around that more reserve positions may be opening for Op Attention. No not all positions on the tour require Mod 6. However, I do know that anyone who was in a mentor position and wasnt qualified PLQ was almost immediately sent on Mods 1-5.

If you want to go on tour make it known. My Coy wanted memo's submitted.

There has been a staff check conducted throughout 36bde for Pte to Sgt positions for This upcoming Op Attention Roto. Have heard roughly 35 positions available, but they are last minute positions and will probably be filled quickly.

Just for your information. Close Protection Positions are positions that don't require PLQ, but you have to be CP qualified. There are also GD positions and Force Pro positions that were filled with Ptes and Cpls.

As stated before express your interest through your CoC in written format and watch and shoot.

There was a call for names to apply for this tour in the summer. I sent in my paperwork in June or July.

There was a recent call to verify our availability to go on very short notice. 31 Bde was clear that this was not a new call for names, but rather verifying that those of us wanting to go would still be willing to DAG and leave in a very short period of time. This may have been relayed/interpreted differently in different areas, brigades, units and sub-units.

Since it's an LFAA tour, I'd expect they have different priorities than LFCA for staffing it, but who knows.

Cheers

Its not a LFAA tour. LFCA is the force generator, using 2 RCR as the mounting unit. There was a rumour that they were cutting 30 positions from the tour that were assigned to Regular Force members and giving them to Reservists last week, but nothing was cut out of my section so I've heard nothing else about it. There were about 40 positions left when I left Gagetown that would need to start training on 16 Jan. If you're one of those people, don't expect weekends off, the training schedule is very busy for a deployment timeframe less than a month after.

From the latest rounds of who's in and who's out of the 21 positions asked to filled by LFAA, 37 CBG got 6 positions. 2 went to NB units and 4 went to NL units. Interesting in that they all went to Infantry units.

The OMG we need 35 reservist positions was because the tour (or whatever) required a 20% reserves and they were at 16% or something. The 35 positions were spread across 3 reservist brigades.  I put the word out at my unit and had about 16 people put their name in. Not high chances of getting picked up but it's a chance never the less. If you get picked someone will let you know. I'd also keep an eye on if your unit actually submitted the paperwork to brigade.
The position was for Pte to Mcpl. 

As for your CT, harass your unit to find out where your application is. Call recruiting and bug them.  I "trusted the system" and the stupid clerk in Kingston had my CT sitting on her desk in the BOR for a year. I was lied to every time I asked about it. At the end of the day you're the only one who will suffer for not following it up.  So ask the chief clerk in your unit about it and call recruiting and see if they have ever heard wind of your transfer If recruiting tells you that they aren't the people to call then find out who you SHOULD call and call them.

We sent one Cpl who does not have Mod 6 (as far as I know). I'm not sure what his task is on the ground but initially he was to be a driver (I know his task changed before he left).

CanadianTire said:
We sent one Cpl who does not have Mod 6 (as far as I know). I'm not sure what his task is on the ground but initially he was to be a driver (I know his task changed before he left).

Don't need mod 6, only Mods 2-5 and only if you're in an advisor position.

Grimaldus said:
The OMG we need 35 reservist positions was because the tour (or whatever) required a 20% reserves and they were at 16% or something. The 35 positions were spread across 3 reservist brigades.  I put the word out at my unit and had about 16 people put their name in. Not high chances of getting picked up but it's a chance never the less. If you get picked someone will let you know. I'd also keep an eye on if your unit actually submitted the paperwork to brigade.

Cough..... LFAA only has 2 CBG's.....

;D

NFLD Sapper said:
Cough..... LFAA only has 2 CBG's.....

;D

Yes, but he's talking about the staff check that came down to LFCA.

My unit had the same experience.  The staff check came down, 25 or 30 names went in, and a much smaller number went up to brigade.

Just had an O-group a few days ago and it got passed down that 66% cuts are coming for Roto 1 (2 RCR?). So if you're in the MO and you haven't been picked up yet, I'm sorry to say that I doubt you will be coming on the next roto. Always subject to change though, so don't lose hope yet. As for MODs, you don't need any, not even in advisory roles. There's a bunch of Pte's here doing the work of Cpls/ Jacks without MODs. Hope this helps.

BCBoy said:
As for MODs, you don't need any, not even in advisory roles. There's a bunch of Pte's here doing the work of Cpls/ Jacks without MODs. Hope this helps.

You didn't need them for Roto 0, but Roto 1 and beyond requires mods 1-5. People were almost sent home from predeployment training until they slapped together a PLQ. This is a CEFCOM directive, perhaps a lesson-learned from your roto?

Ahh well I stand corrected. Interesting order from CEFCOM... didn't know you needed MODs to sit and drink chai and smoke local cigarettes, but I digress.

Had to justify 50% of the TO&E being officers somehow...

PuckChaser said:
Had to justify 50% of the TO&E being officers somehow...

:rofl:

Had a friend (and co-worker) who just got back from Kabul last week and said it's a bunch of LCols sitting around drinking coffee.  I think the call has come out for my trade, one to replace a MCpl on leave and others for "mentoring".  Kind of makes me glad I'm going to Borden.  :nod:

PMedMoe said:
Had a friend (and co-worker) who just got back from Kabul last week and said it's a bunch of LCols sitting around drinking coffee. 

Yes, but it's coffee drinking at the operational level.

Back