• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

meni0n said:
So the army has released a new CANFORGEN detailing a new Army Junior Leadership Course to take place following the completion of the Mod 3 of the PLQ. It looks like it will be a copy of the old Mod 4. One thing that is a bit confusing is that they make reference to a paragraph 4 in an older CANFORGEN where a list of CA and NON-CA Managed occupations were listed that had to do PLQ-L but only mention CA occupations. The way I read the new CANFORGEN, only CA occupations will be required to do the new AJLC course. If someone saw the new CANFORGEN, can you chime in and confirm that or is it not very clearly written?

Same way we are reading it here - believe the CMs of the non-Army occs will have to cut further message(s) to clarify which purples trades will undergo the training from this bit of the latest:

STUDENT NOMINATIONS FOR INFMN, CRMN, AND ARTYMN WILL REMAIN AT THE DISCRETION AND SUGGESTION OF UNIT COS. STUDENT NOMINATION FOR THE REMAINING MOSIDS OUTLINED IN REF B, WILL REMAIN WITH THE RESPECTIVE CMS. ALL CA STUDENTS UNDERGOING TRAINING AT CA TES WILL BE COURSE LOADED BY CTCHQ STAFF

Vern,

Actually I think that last bit just reiterates that CMs are responsible for submitting nominations for the new PLQ course as before. But it also specifically mentions that for CA occupations it is CTC that will be course loading. From that line it looks like CTC will no longer be course loading non-managed CA occupations.

If they take the list of the non-army managed occupations from before and just apply it to the new AJLC, I don't really see what was the whole point of this as it's back to what it was originally. This is a bit confusing.

Situation.....No Change

literally....the wording shows no change from how it was with PLQ-L or PLQ-A or whatever they want to call it this week. :facepalm:

Well no, the big difference is that they keep referring to CA occupations and make no mention of NON-CA managed ones. Oh, and that there is a AJLC now. And that there is also a possibility of someone getting loaded on a PLQ common course and then waiting a while for the AJLC although it specifically states that  CA occupations will do AJLC right after PLQ which means that they can only get sent to training establishments for their PLQ that also run AJLC. Is this confusing enough?

Any info on the transition from current PLQ Mod 1-4 to the new system? I'm away from DWAN.

BinRat55 said:
Yes. An amazing point. I honestly don't understand why this hasn't been fixed already. Since January alone, I personally (not second hand - personally) know of 5 people who were promoted a few years ago and now have to relinquish their leaf. What a waste - not their fault, but time and resources.

use to work dealing with these - was getting at least one a month for mbrs losing the leaf.  Worse case I saw was a guy that was 7 years a master and had to drop leaf as he failed the PLQ.  Never been a fan of Acting Lacking as it became so over abused and an easy way out rather than fixing the training system and running more courses to get everyone qualified.

A/L has permitted the system to paper over the failure of the training system to provide the necessary number of seats on courses.

It should be stopped, but no one is willing to make that draconian a step.

meni0n said:

If they take the list of the non-army managed occupations from before and just apply it to the new AJLC, I don't really see what was the whole point of this as it's back to what it was originally. This is a bit confusing.

Exactly; if that's the way they intended it, then a MS or MCpl RCAF Sup tech type still has a differing standard while employed in the Army in a MCpl Sup tech (or any purple) posn ... and a different standard for promotion/rank retention despite a single merit list for the entire trade regardless of uniform colour.  Nothing would be solved.

meni0n said:
Well no, the big difference is that they keep referring to CA occupations and make no mention of NON-CA managed ones. Oh, and that there is a AJLC now. And that there is also a possibility of someone getting loaded on a PLQ common course and then waiting a while for the AJLC although it specifically states that  CA occupations will do AJLC right after PLQ which means that they can only get sent to training establishments for their PLQ that also run AJLC. Is this confusing enough?

And that's our thoughts.  That CMs can still decide as to which non-CA managed occs go onwards to complete the AJLC (PLQ follow-up) ...

It'll be interesting to see if careers keeps the same purple list requirements as previous messages and, if so, do purple guys who wear the Army uniform take down their MCpls if they fail to complete the AJLC while their RCAF and RCN counterparts retain rank while never having to attempt it ... If so, then the grievance based upon 1 trade with a single merit list but two standards would still be applicable.

OR

Do the CMs deem that all purple occs will undergo the AJLC as they are all subject to posting into that environment regardless of uniform colour. If so, no room for found grievance.

OR

Do the CMs decide, why bother sending anyone?

Time will tell what exactly they come up with.

From my understanding and the tone of the new CANFORGEN is that the AJLC only applies to army occupations. I guess we will have to wait and see until June if that is the case as that's when they start running the new PLQ.

Jarnhamar said:
Currently teaching drill, a skill class and knowledge class all fall under the same PO. What does that mean?  If you fail your first hard assess on drill you will go right to formal warning. If you pass your drill class retest and fail on your first skill class (or knowledge) you will go right to PRB (progress review board). If they don't give you another chance you're on your way home.

Find someone and practice teaching them drill, a skill class and knowledge class. Find a lesson plan on something and practice talking for 40 minutes straight.

Do you have to teach in PLQ for 40 mins straight?

timed said:

It will depend on how well organized and knowledgeable you are on your subject matter; and who your DS are.  If your DS figures that you have a firm grip on what you are teaching and you are covering all the "Teaching Points" in order, they may cut you short on portions, or all and SUM you up.  If you are weak in your presentation, you may have to go the full length of the class.  If you are under your allotted time or go over your allotted time, depending on the class you are teaching, you can also be penalized. 

Is there one answer to your question?  No.

Regardless, you'll have to be able to teach for 40 mins in real life after PLQ...sometimes 8 x 40 minute periods a day.

timed said:

Going over or under by 5 minutes used to be a critical fail, meaning you fail the whole thing.  It's recently been changed so you just lose x points. If you teach a 40 minute lesson in 9 minutes or something silly you'll still fail since it's ineffective.

Jarnhamar said:
Like mounting and dismounting the  BFA  on a C6  :facepalm:

or of RCEME Common, 40 min to teach what a screw driver is, I swear who comes up with some of these time frames?

MilEME09 said:
or of RCEME Common, 40 min to teach what a screw driver is, I swear who comes up with some of these time frames?

I could easily come up with at least one, if not more, 40 min lessons on screwdrivers. ;D

Try do a 15 min on a common wire paperclip or a thumbtack. ;)

Maybe MOI should focus on actually useful things.  I've taken, and taught, on CLC/JNCO/PLQ/whatever it may haven been called and never head of LPs on thumb tacks and screw drivers!

Question: I did basic back in 2001, now MS hard sea trade, PLQ qualified in 2013, if I were to remuster to a purple trade (comm rsch) that has to do PLQ-L how would it work once I get back into the promotion zone?

Since I never did SQ, would I have to do SQ and then APLQ?

Back