• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

Bender842 said:
Question: I did basic back in 2001, now MS hard sea trade, PLQ qualified in 2013, if I were to remuster to a purple trade (comm rsch) that has to do PLQ-L how would it work once I get back into the promotion zone?

Since I never did SQ, would I have to do SQ and then APLQ?

I'm fairly certain that Comms Rsrch doesn't do PLQ-A, or SQ.  That being said if you switched to a trade that needed PLQ-A and SQ, you'd be hard pressed to get a PLAR (from what I've seen lately)

CombatMacgyver said:
I'm fairly certain that Comms Rsrch doesn't do PLQ-A, or SQ.  That being said if you switched to a trade that needed PLQ-A and SQ, you'd be hard pressed to get a PLAR (from what I've seen lately)

Unfortunately they do SQ and PLQ-A, or whatever it's called this week. It seems to me they should do like the navy, train as required, no every purple trade will go to sea but they all have the potential to, yet we don't send them all on NETP.

Bender842 said:
Unfortunately they do SQ and PLQ-A, or whatever it's called this week. It seems to me they should do like the navy, train as required, no every purple trade will go to sea but they all have the potential to, yet we don't send them all on NETP.

Are you certain?  Because there are a few Army trades that don't do PLQ-A but PLQ-common.  And there are still more purple trades that don't do it.  EGS techs for example do the common PLQ, and maybe SQ (unlikely).

Seems odd that comms rsrch would do it...

That being said, "train as needed" is foreign to the Army.  Otherwise we wouldn't have mechanics and gun-plumbers pepper-potting for miles, or supply technicians with jump wings...

CombatMacgyver said:
... or supply technicians with jump wings...

A Sup Tech specialty is rigger - the folks who check, prep and pack parachutes.  Kind of a good idea to give them some skin in the game...

Bender842 said:
Question: I did basic back in 2001, now MS hard sea trade, PLQ qualified in 2013, if I were to remuster to a purple trade (comm rsch) that has to do PLQ-L how would it work once I get back into the promotion zone?

Since I never did SQ, would I have to do SQ and then APLQ?
Environmental variants of PLQ no longer exist.  Army Junior Leadership Course is now a course that is delivered after PLQ.  If it is required for promotion in your new occupation, you would have to do it for promotion.

MCG said:
Environmental variants of PLQ no longer exist.  Army Junior Leadership Course is now a course that is delivered after PLQ.  If it is required for promotion in your new occupation, you would have to do it for promotion.

Thanks for the solid answer, now next step, what is AJLC? a rebranded MOD 6 field phase?

Bender842 said:
Thanks for the solid answer, now next step, what is AJLC? a rebranded field phase?
Yes.  See CANFORGEN 080/16.

CombatMacgyver said:
Are you certain?  Because there are a few Army trades that don't do PLQ-A but PLQ-common.  And there are still more purple trades that don't do it.  EGS techs for example do the common PLQ, and maybe SQ (unlikely).

Seems odd that comms rsrch would do it...

That being said, "train as needed" is foreign to the Army.  Otherwise we wouldn't have mechanics and gun-plumbers pepper-potting for miles, or supply technicians with jump wings...
50% of the Comm Rsch trade is employed at 21EW which is an Army field unit. That's why you're doing SQ and AJLC.

PuckChaser said:
50% of the Comm Rsch trade is employed at 21EW which is an Army field unit. That's why you're doing SQ and AJLC.

"They're doing it", I'm not comms rsrch, just wanted to clarify.

There can't be many of them.  21EW doesn't seem to have too many people on their side of the building.  Unless they're spread out all over the base?

On that note, why the hell was 21EW removed from JSR in the first place?  From a support perspective it seems like it would make a lot more sense to stand them up as a squadron within JSR instead of parading a squadron as a regiment...  I dunno...

CombatMacgyver said:
On that note, why the hell was 21EW removed from JSR in the first place?  From a support perspective it seems like it would make a lot more sense to stand them up as a squadron within JSR instead of parading a squadron as a regiment...  I dunno...
Seems like a great question for another thread:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/124325.new.html#new

We can then keep this on topic.

Good Morning,

First time poster. I will just lay out the facts:
2009 - Promoted to MS
2010 - Completed CF PLQ
2011 - VOT to army trade
2013 - Completed SQ
2014 - Completed Winter Warfare Basic
2015 - Promoted to MCpl (MPRR says substantive)

Now almost 2 years after promotion, I am possibly having to go back to do the PLQ-A or L MOD4. Are there any references for my specific situation or am I just going to have to do it?

You're in an Army trade that needs AJLC (new name for Mod 4 now). Your CAF PLQ isn't going to write it off, you have to do it. I'm not at work, but there's  a couple CANFORGENs in 2010/2011 that outline the requirement, as well as a recent one from 2015/2016 that outlines the changes in the system. I believe one of those documents has a sub para speaking to your situation, but I remember most of those sub paras were "member will complete AJLC".

PuckChaser said:
You're in an Army trade that needs AJLC (new name for Mod 4 now). Your CAF PLQ isn't going to write it off, you have to do it. I'm not at work, but there's  a couple CANFORGENs in 2010/2011 that outline the requirement, as well as a recent one from 2015/2016 that outlines the changes in the system. I believe one of those documents has a sub para speaking to your situation, but I remember most of those sub paras were "member will complete AJLC".

Thanks for the info. I believe the email I saw about this had those CANFORGEN's referenced. Just seems odd, that after this long they are coming after me.

The Army is way behind on getting pers qualified for PLQ. Unless you're in the Cbt Arms, waiting a year or 2 for PLQ is common.

PuckChaser said:
The Army is way behind on getting pers qualified for PLQ. Unless you're in the Cbt Arms, waiting a year or 2 for PLQ is common.

They must be catching up; one of my support trades in an Army uniform (purple) is forecast appointed to MCpl APS 2017 and has been slated for PLQ beginning the 3rd week of Jan 2017.

My Signallers are usually getting messages within a year. They recently moved all the Leadership courses run out of Pet to Meaford, and turned up the volume from reading the course calendar. Likely someone realized if they put a little manpower at the problem they can clear the backlog. There's no reason why we shouldn't have pers trained prior to promotion like you outlined.

AJLC would be  environmental specific trg.  I was Army before with CLC and SLC complete (PLQ and ILQ), but even though I am qualified to WO on the leadership stuff, I still am required to do the RCAF "Sgt Seminary (Intermediate Air Environmental Qual -  IAEQ) because it is AF specific.

PuckChaser said:
Since switching to new PLQ, JLC-A the billets seemed to have opened right up. I was promoted MCPL A/L May 2016, received CFTPO for DL beginning mid Jan 2017 and rest of mods including JLC-A 1 Feb - 31 Mar 2017 CFB Edmonton. I was deferred until this fall, I have no idea where I am going but was assured as soon as I am cleared I will be on next available course.

PuckChaser said:
My Signallers are usually getting messages within a year. They recently moved all the Leadership courses run out of Pet to Meaford, and turned up the volume from reading the course calendar. Likely someone realized if they put a little manpower at the problem they can clear the backlog. There's no reason why we shouldn't have pers trained prior to promotion like you outlined.

Disregard my last  ::)

Is the new harmonized PLQ up amd running?  I have some troops that are being told they're on it while others are being told they're on the "old one".  Is there really any change to training other than some trades not doing AJLC?

Back