• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pride to be in the forces and everybody is leaving

daftandbarmy said:
With respect to pay and compensation....

Public sector workers paid 10.6% more than private sector average: Fraser Institute

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fraser-institute-salary-1.3887133

Attachments

• pay.jpg
    pay.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 712
To be frank, I was in the Infantry before and got out. Mainly because I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do and everyone else was doing the same. And now look at me trying to get back in.

That being said, there's always going to be bad apples or people complaining it's human nature. You just have to find a way to tune it out really... Or try not to be around those people as often. Also I should add, that getting back in was probably the most time consuming, and took even more work than it did the first time. So there's that, I mean you can try to convey that message to others if they're unsure.

PandemicStrange said:
Also I should add, that getting back in was probably the most time consuming, and took even more work than it did the first time.

The nice thing is that they re-hire alumni. My employer did not.

I was in for 8 years and left in 2013. Since then I got my Journeyman/Red Seal in welding and luckily have maintained employment in the current downturn in AB and have no fear of being laid off. I make more money welding than what I'd ever make in the Army but I gave my notice Monday and look forward to a new career as an Ammo Tech.

To me it boils down to having a career you thoroughly enjoy, though I admit the benefits and pension offered by the military are also a good bonus since fewer companies these days offer those, unless you go a union route. I never thought I'd get back in but the opportunity to do a new trade that interests me won out, and I admittedly miss certain things about the Army.

I'm speaking based on experience and stories of those around me, but in terms of the private sector things are very bleak. Hiring for things such as financial services, engineering, business and IT seem to be almost non-existent, especially for young folk (such as myself). In some cases it might be that the grass isn't all that much greener (literally) on the otherside. Although, from what I've seen if you're looking at going into the trades its a bit easier as most of the people I know have gotten apprenticeships fairly easily after school.

Back to the CAF, in terms of salary the CF is fairly competitive with the private sector both enlisted and officer. It's on a salary, full benefits and a pension which is adjusted for inflation.

LunchMeat said:
It doesn't help that majority of our equipment is old and outdated, in disrepair, and causes more damage to our health as a result. Having to use broken, old, uncomfortable kit is demoralizing.

It doesn't help that we haven't had a salary increase in many years (cost of living adjustments don't count, I'm talking a real salary increase). Our benefits haven't been reevaluated and adjusted to the massive and rapid changes to the market (like PLD).

We're at the bottom of the totem pole. Everyone wants boosts to education, health care, environment, and rightfully so, but the CF has needs too and they've been neglected for a long, long time. Too long if you ask me.

Yes, some things have improved, but it's not nearly enough.

I have great pride in what I do and I won't quit any time soon... Doesn't mean I don't or can't complain though.

You ain't seen old til you rode around in '54 deuce in the 80s with 27 other guys in the back because there is only one deuce per platoon, hazardous til you spent your day in a drill hall with asbestos snowing down or uncomfortable til you spent 6 weeks in 64 pattern webbing.  [lol:

Or wore First World War helmets until the 1970's if you were in the Militia. Or used the Second World War .303 BREN and Sten gun until the mid 60's in the Militia. Or used the Second World War Fighting Order until the late 1970's or so when you got the 64 pattern. But the 3/4 ton truck was a fine piece of kit except in winter (no heater).

Rifleman62 said:
Or wore First World War helmets until the 1970's if you were in the Militia. Or used the Second World War .303 BREN and Sten gun until the mid 60's in the Militia. Or used the Second World War Fighting Order until the late 1970's or so when you got the 64 pattern. But the 3/4 ton truck was a fine piece of kit except in winter (no heater).

LOL, yup, that's my point.  Each generation sees better gear just around the corner.  Remember when we wanted the 82 gear to support the weight of the stuff we carried?  Remember we hated the "jump" ruck because you had to dissemble it to get to your chocolate bar stash, so we wanted a top loader with the bag on the bottom.  And TAC VEST! oiy vey, that's something only the Israelis had.  Your gear is always wore out unless you are the third roto of a major war.....

Edit:  Part of the pride of soldiering is overcoming the gear.  Always has been in Canada since the first fool chased the Huron in the woods with a red coat!

Part of the problem today is there are a lot of people who are looking at us shrinking with less training and no investment from the leadership of this country. We have gone from a small well trained military with old equipment,  to a smaller,  adequately trained military with ancient equipment. Our benefits are constantly eroded and our pay is starting to fall in relation to local costs while we are asked to do more and more

We are living on delusional fantasies about our military. Canada does not punch above it's weight. We are a Light Heavyweight country who fields a bantam weight military with used shorts and tattered gloves. Sure we hit pretty hard for a bantam weight but that doesn't help us in the open division that is the world stage.

And it is disingenuous to compare us to the private sector. First, the private sector doesn't give up its rights like we do. Second,  if I am unhappy with my compensation at one job I can apply at another to increase my wages. The military is the only option for most trades.  There is no civilian artillery companies or armoured corporations.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back