• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright,
so i have gotten past my formal interview and had a great medical. i was asked after my cfat to explain my past usage of marijuana in highschool, both the officer who gave me my CFAT results and my file manager passed off my file as being clear to continue and with my honesty they saw no issues. i was asked a few questions about drugs in my medical interview but nothing major. After my file returned from the RMO i was sent a letter saying that due to my past usage i would have to administer a urinary drug test and an assessment of drug addiction. i have no issues with doing the tests as i have absolutely nothing to hide and have been totally clean for over 5 years, but my question is more with the reasoning to why this would have happened if my file had been cleared on those issues already? i was also told that i wasnt supposed to have my medical until may 1st but i had it april 10th. the officer after my CFAT made it clear and had me initial my sheet that i had not been in contact with drugs for sometime and my file wouldnt have been held. but it still showed up to my medical officer that i wasnt supposed to have my medical until may.

again, i have nothing to hide and am happy to show them i am a clean and sober individual, however this has been a strange event and sort of worry some to me. i am hoping my new wait for my medical to return from the RMO wont be too long!!

sorry for the length, but any insights or previous experiences like this would be appreciated! thanks!

The CAF wants a medical professional to assess your addiction (due to previous use). Just like they can't take your word for it that the broken back you had in high school is "fine now" (just an example here, not personally linked), they likely want someone to assess that you're as clean as you say you are. Recruiting Center has no control on what the MO wants to certify you as medically fit, but as you said you have nothing to hide, so jump through the hoop. Consider it practice for your career in the CAF, constant hoop-jumping.

Just out of curiosity, I tried marijuana once in 2009 hated the way it made me feel. Will I likely have to do the same thing? I was honest with them but it would suck waiting 6 weeks to get notified that I have to jump through this hoop.

To the OP:  I'm glad someone else answered your question as I was trying to figure out just what it was you were asking.  All I got out of it was that they want you to do a urine test for drugs. (I think....).  The rest of it about the date for the medical seemed to be unnecessary.  Anyway, if you were honest, then, as you say, you have nothing to worry about.

Just a couple pieces of advice here.  One:  Please start using proper capitalization, punctuation, etc.  I hope you read the guidelines when you joined, asking that English or French be used to the best of your ability.  Two:  Before starting a new topic (you've started four, for issues that have been covered here), do a search.  I'm not saying don't ask your questions, I'm saying I'm sure there's threads already here that would be appropriate for those questions to be asked in.  That makes it so much easier when someone else is searching later.

Just my  :2c:

Hey guys,

Been looking into applying for quite some time. I'm just curious as to how long it has to have been since the last time or if you ever has used any anabolics or anything for you to be eligible to apply for the Army.

Used steroids when I was young and dumb back in high school, lots of people using where I'm from. That was about a year ago. Would I be okay to go through with the application?

I know for things like weed it was a 6 month wait before you're okay to apply, but I never used that stuff.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

I was obviously going to admit to it on the medical questionnaire. As well, my doctor kind of knows about the AAS usage, will go see him and confirm if it's on my medical records. I don't know if it is, would I be able to ask for that sort of information?

Thank you, but the only thing I can't seem to find is does the 6 month rule apply to all drugs? As steroids are the only ones I've done.

As well, are there members in the Military on TRT? I had my bloods checked and they are low ever since that mistake I made. If I were to get a script for TRT, would this make me ineligible for a position in the Army?

armydreamin said:
Thank you, but the only thing I can't seem to find is does the 6 month rule apply to all drugs? As steroids are the only ones I've done.

As well, are there members in the Military on TRT? I had my bloods checked and they are low ever since that mistake I made. If I were to get a script for TRT, would this make me ineligible for a position in the Army?
Only the Recruiting Medical Officer can answer that, and they don't respond to enrollment medical questions on this board. See your recruiting centre if you're interested in joining.

armydreamin said:
I was obviously going to admit to it on the medical questionnaire. As well, my doctor kind of knows about the AAS usage, will go see him and confirm if it's on my medical records. I don't know if it is, would I be able to ask for that sort of information?

You are allowed, at any time, to go through your medical records. You can request a copy from your doc.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/want-your-medical-records-be-prepared-to-pay-a-lot/article9755471/

Btw, it doesn't always cost a lot, but I've always been charged between 20-50 for such types of services, since I go to a semi-private clinic (they charge for everything, assuming your insurance will cover it - greedy bast....)

Merged with prior drug use thread

Amrydreamin, read this entire thread, including the posts I made regarding how long you have to wait.  And no I will not unlock this, or allow you to post any other topics in this regard. Also don't even think of PM'ing me to reconsider or answer questions until you have read this entire thread.

Hatchet Man
Staff

After searching through the forums, I was unable to find a solid answer to this question.

My husband applied last week and has his aptitude test next week.  We are concerned about one aspect of the interview and medical.

During his teen years, my husband experimented with drugs, not just marijuana.  He hasn't used any drugs for nearly 10 years (he is 27).  He, like many young people, got in with a wrong crowd in high school.  Could his previous drug use prevent him from being accepted?  When asked if he's a drug user, should he acknowledge his previous drug use?  He was not an addict, just a typical experimenting teenager.

Thanks in advance,

DreaMac

(I apologize if this question has been asked and answered previously.  If it has, could you please provide a link, as I cannot find it.)

Your hubby will be asked about drug use, what and when during his application process. He will also be asked about it in detail when he does his interview. It is up to the recruiters doing his file as to what the outcome will be.

I've read through the merged thread on drug use questions, but have not seen anything relevant to our situation.

I realize that it is case by case, but I am more curious about the general rule on things.

For instance, if you tried cocaine, 10-11 years ago, never having done it again, could this prevent you from being accepted?  Most of the posts I have read are about pot with a few about PCP.  What about Ecstacy?  Didn't see anything about that either.  If you tried X 10-11 years ago, could that prevent you from getting accepted? 

I read through 44 pages of forum looking for an answer, and I've seen nothing on the drugs I am curious about, and the 10-11 year since using.  Most are 2 years or less.

Thanks.

Dreamac

Drugs.....Illegal drugs....All drugs that are not prescribed by a doctor or legally sold over the counter, apply to the question about past drug use.  If in 44 pages you have not read of any cases similar to what may apply to your husband in this situation, there is not much we can say.  It will be up to your husband to answer truthfully to any questions concerning this matter during his application process.  Can we tell you here what the outcome will be?  NO.  It will be a decision made at the Recruiting Center your husband is visiting. 

I have had my application accepted, however I realize I will have to do a medical sooner or later and I know a drug test is part of that. I am really worried as I have experimented with marijuana in the recent past and I want to know if I should be worried.

Thanks

CanadaWest said:
Okay thanks. Oh and one last question somewhat unrelated. Does the medical include a blood test?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It's a coin flip thing we do for random reasons.

MM

Have you done your CFAT ? Because after you've done it they pass you a form when you have to write down all non prescribed drug that you have tried or use. And this is where you may have a hold up on you application process, if its been less than a year since the last time you make some usage of weed. . I was in the same boat, i choose to be honest  and  I had to wait 1 year because of pass use, before being allowed to continue my recruiting process and that's probably whats going to happen there for you. But important thing , don't lie about that . - sorry for my english. and Good luck for the rest of your process.  :salute:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back