• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Preventing the coming Dark Age

a_majoor

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Jerry Pournell has a very interesting piece on finding and developing intellectual capital. His Thesis is that since the standard educational system is not equipped to find, cherish and exploit talent (indeed it is designed around an entirely opposite set of rules), we will loose our civilization and culture. Note there is no time line attached; but I suppose the Mycenean princes or Roman landowners probably would have told you everything was going fine until the last day arrived.

I know that I have spent a literal fortune in providing private school education for my children, and I know of other parents who also private o home school thier children, but "we" are certainly a minority over all.

Interesting read: http://www.jerrypournelle.com/view/view450.html#Dark

Aztecs vs. Greeks

By Charles Murray <http://www.aei.org/scholars/filter.all,scholarID.43/scholar.asp>  Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 ARTICLES Wall Street Journal <http://www.wsj.com> Publication Date: January 18, 2007

http://www.aei.org/publications/filter.all,pubID.25474/pub_detail.asp

If "intellectually gifted" is defined to mean people who can become theoretical physicists, then we're talking about no more than a few people per thousand and perhaps many fewer. They are cognitive curiosities, too rare to have that much impact on the functioning of society from day to day. But if "intellectually gifted" is defined to mean people who can stand out in almost any profession short of theoretical physics, then research about IQ and job performance indicates that an IQ of at least 120 is usually needed. That number demarcates the top 10% of the IQ distribution, or about 15 million people in today's labor force--a lot of people.

W. H. Brady Scholar Charles Murray W. H. Brady Scholar Charles Murray

In professions screened for IQ by educational requirements--medicine, engineering, law, the sciences and academia--the great majority of people must, by the nature of the selection process, have IQs over 120. Evidence about who enters occupations where the screening is not directly linked to IQ indicates that people with IQs of 120 or higher also occupy large proportions of positions in the upper reaches of corporate America and the senior ranks of government. People in the top 10% of intelligence produce most of the books and newspaper articles we read and the television programs and movies we watch. They are the people in the laboratories and at workstations who invent our new pharmaceuticals, computer chips, software and every other form of advanced technology.

Combine these groups, and the top 10% of the intelligence distribution has a huge influence on whether our economy is vital or stagnant, our culture healthy or sick, our institutions secure or endangered. Of the simple truths about intelligence and its relationship to education, this is the most important and least acknowledged: Our future depends crucially on how we educate the next generation of people gifted with unusually high intelligence.

How assiduously does our federal government work to see that this precious raw material is properly developed? In 2006, the Department of Education spent about $84 billion. The only program to improve the education of the gifted got $9.6 million, one-hundredth of 1% of expenditures. In the 2007 budget, President Bush zeroed it out.

But never mind. A large proportion of gifted children are born to parents who value their children's talent and do their best to see that it is realized. Most gifted children without such parents are recognized by someone somewhere along the educational line and pointed toward college. No evidence indicates that the nation has many children with IQs above 120 who are not given an opportunity for higher education. The university system has also become efficient in shipping large numbers of the most talented high-school graduates to the most prestigious schools. The allocation of this human capital can be criticized--it would probably be better for the nation if more of the gifted went into the sciences and fewer into the law. But if the issue is amount of education, then the nation is doing fine with its next generation of gifted children. The problem with the education of the gifted involves not their professional training, but their training as citizens.

We live in an age when it is unfashionable to talk about the special responsibility of being gifted, because to do so acknowledges inequality of ability, which is elitist, and inequality of responsibilities, which is also elitist. And so children who know they are smarter than the other kids tend, in a most human reaction, to think of themselves as superior to them. Because giftedness is not to be talked about, no one tells high-IQ children explicitly, forcefully and repeatedly that their intellectual talent is a gift. That they are not superior human beings, but lucky ones. That the gift brings with it obligations to be worthy of it. That among those obligations, the most important and most difficult is to aim not just at academic accomplishment, but at wisdom.

The encouragement of wisdom requires a special kind of education. It requires first of all recognition of one's own intellectual limits and fallibilities--in a word, humility. This is perhaps the most conspicuously missing part of today's education of the gifted. Many high-IQ students, especially those who avoid serious science and math, go from kindergarten through an advanced degree without ever having a teacher who is dissatisfied with their best work and without ever taking a course that forces them to say to themselves, "I can't do this." Humility requires that the gifted learn what it feels like to hit an intellectual wall, just as all of their less talented peers do, and that can come only from a curriculum and pedagogy designed especially for them. That level of demand cannot fairly be imposed on a classroom that includes children who do not have the ability to respond. The gifted need to have some classes with each other not to be coddled, but because that is the only setting in which their feet can be held to the fire.

The encouragement of wisdom requires mastery of analytical building blocks. The gifted must assimilate the details of grammar and syntax and the details of logical fallacies not because they will need them to communicate in daily life, but because these are indispensable for precise thinking at an advanced level.

The encouragement of wisdom requires being steeped in the study of ethics, starting with Aristotle and Confucius. It is not enough that gifted children learn to be nice. They must know what it means to be good.

The encouragement of wisdom requires an advanced knowledge of history. Never has the aphorism about the fate of those who ignore history been more true.

All of the above are antithetical to the mindset that prevails in today's schools at every level. The gifted should not be taught to be nonjudgmental; they need to learn how to make accurate judgments. They should not be taught to be equally respectful of Aztecs and Greeks; they should focus on the best that has come before them, which will mean a light dose of Aztecs and a heavy one of Greeks. The primary purpose of their education should not be to let the little darlings express themselves, but to give them the tools and the intellectual discipline for expressing themselves as adults.

In short, I am calling for a revival of the classical definition of a liberal education, serving its classic purpose: to prepare an elite to do its duty. If that sounds too much like Plato's Guardians, consider this distinction. As William F. Buckley rightly instructs us, it is better to be governed by the first 2,000 names in the Boston phone book than by the faculty of Harvard University. But we have that option only in the choice of our elected officials. In all other respects, the government, economy and culture are run by a cognitive elite that we do not choose. That is the reality, and we are powerless to change it. All we can do is try to educate the elite to be conscious of, and prepared to meet, its obligations. For years, we have not even thought about the nature of that task. It is time we did.<snip>

It is a sad thing that our schools pander to the lowest common denominator.  Equality of opportunity does not equal an equality of outcomes.

I was shocked to learn that my Daughter could not get the course load she needed in Petawawa to earn acceptance into an architectural program but was instead "encouraged" to take photography to replace the advanced English or university entry level french she needed.  :eek:

I drive her to school in Ottawa now.

Is there a need to create a two tier educational system in this country? 

One tier where those that have what it takes to go to university are put on an academic path to prepare them for that course of action and another where those who only have the will and intellect to enter what we call the skilled trades are guided that way?

Of course this plan would or could never be passed off in those terms, after all our educators have spent sooooo much time teaching everyone they are all equal and all [golly gee] winners in their own right that to introduce the young of this country to the inherent inequalities of the real world would be cruel.

It does exist in a manner of speaking in some Provinces.  There is a split in High School that students can take, going to Vocational orientated courses or Academic courses.  Those wishing to go on to University, would take the Academic programs, while those who did not have any such intentions could take the Vocational orientated programs.

George Wallace said:
It does exist in a manner of speaking in some Provinces.  There is a split in High School that students can take, going to Vocational orientated courses or Academic courses.  Those wishing to go on to University, would take the Academic programs, while those who did not have any such intentions could take the Vocational orientated programs.

I know what you mean George, but I was thinking more formally.  A system where at the age of 15 the teachers, parents and yes even the children are brought together and determine the kid's educational path.  This would include things like aptitude tests, IQ tests, past performance, potential...

We need to foster academic excellence in those who have both the ability and desire to achieve, while not forgetting that (in the words of my grandfather) "not everyone can lead the orchestra, some people have to push air through the tuba"

As my grandfathers colloquialism suggests, both parts of the equation are important.  In Canada today there is a shortage of skilled labour which will get much worse with the retirement of the baby boomers.  It's not necessarily an economic division either, did you know that a plumber can earn more than a doctor over the span of a career?

As always, it is not what you have to work with but what you do with it. The field of 'sociology of education' is unable to explain much of what makes one person successful and another not (outside of the usual correlations to parental income, career, etc). How do you measure a person's effort, heart, and motivation?

IQ is a useful predictor but not definitive in terms of the impact one can make in this world. Give me hard working soldiers with integrity and spirit and we will move mountains.

Back