• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pressure on Post-Deployment for Reservist to Parade with Unit

prairefire

Inactive
Reaction score
Mods please feel free to move this topic to a more appropriate forum if necessary.

My nephew returned from Afghanistan  after a tour with the 2 PPCLI BG and decided to go on a leave on absence from his reserve unit for 1 year that will be up in the spring. He is not sure that he wishes to return to his unit and has started post-secondary education full time with the money that he had saved while deployed. He had a tough tour but came home with a very good PER and a recommendation for the Sect Comd Course but declined the opportunity and decided to return to school.

Unfortunately his home unit has placed an incredible amount of pressure on him to return to Class A and made some less than appropriate comments about turning down his course and promotion opportunity. Have you heard of this happening before and any suggestions? He is working through some personal issues related to his deployment and friends of his who were casualties but is doing quite well. My concern is with the Reserve unit and the completely inappropriate pressure being placed on him. Has anyone heard about this happening with other Reservists? He is not NES but on an official leave of absence.

My suggestion to him was to turn in all his kit and place himself on the Supp Reserve List and leave on the best possible terms until he is ready to return.

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.[/i]

prairefire said:
He is working through some personal issues related to his deployment and friends of his who were casualties but is doing quite well.

Please say that he is availing himself of the resources available to him that exist out there these days - and that he is not dealing with this matter 'on his own'.

As for pressure being placed on him to return prior to his LoA being up, perhaps someone else on the forum can lend commentary - I certainly can't.

Vern

Yes he has been making use of the resources that are available and is, to my semi-trained eye, moving in the right direction with great family and other support.

prairefire said:
Yes he has been making use of the resources that are available and is, to my semi-trained eye, moving in the right direction with great family and other support.

Then tell him to turn his kit in and continue on his life.

The "pressure" that is being placed on him, actually is allowing the chain of command to see if he is "ok" to further support any challenges he may have.

If he wants to continue to serve, then tell him to pony up, and start parading.

A tour does not give one a Card Blanche to do what ever they want, when they return.

dileas

tess

The people in his regiment are behaving like idiots.

You should call the Commanding Officer and let him know as he may not be aware that this is happening. While you're at it, make sure he knows who is doing the arm twisting, and suggest that he talk to them about displaying an appropriate style of leadership in this situation.

I suggest that he NOT hand his kit in and go on the Supp list. If he ever changes his mind about a career in the military (full or part time) it can be a complete administrative nightmare to try and get back in from the SRR. Ask for another period of leave, which is within the CO's power to grant. Also look into accessing any educational grants he is eligible for through the reserves, if he hasn't already done this.

In the meantime, on behalf of all sensible reservists everywhere, I apologize!  :salute:

D&B

daftandbarmy said:
The people in his regiment are behaving like idiots.

You should call the Commanding Officer and let him know as he may not be aware that this is happening. While you're at it, make sure he knows who is doing the arm twisting, and suggest that he talk to them about displaying an appropriate style of leadership in this situation.

I suggest that he NOT hand his kit in and go on the Supp list. If he ever changes his mind about a career in the military (full or part time) it can be a complete administrative nightmare to try and get back in from the SRR. Ask for another period of leave, which is within the CO's power to grant. Also look into accessing any educational grants he is eligible for through the reserves, if he hasn't already done this.

In the meantime, on behalf of all sensible reservists everywhere, I apologize!  :salute:

D&B

Some of the "Pressure" that is being put on him to parade, is actually for his benefit.

With the message getting out to all the units, specifically by the CDS with his campaign of "Be the Difference", The Joint Speakers bureau, and OSISS units are making the effort to monitor their troops when they return.  This is especially difficult for Reserve units when their troops have an autonomy to come and go as they please.

Rather than being so cynical with the Regiments intentions, why not encourage the troop to pony up and be a soldier.  Go in, and explain his life.  He will then have to make the decisions, continue with the reserve or leave.

prairefire, you stated he had a tough tour, and his unit knows that.  They may be saying what seems like "Inappropriate" threats, but those are warranted when a troop does not play by the rules.

dileas

tess

(Going on the assumption that his tour was as bad as you say it was...)

Isn't this what the Padre is for?

If he is using the CF's counselling programs, as he should be if he is as you say, then it must be documented some where that he is not 100%.

Also, you might want to keep in mind that most of the cutbacks to the reserves weren't really announced until just before xmas. That course probably isn't running anymore, making it a mute point. It's down to one parade night a month in most areas, hardly a taxing request.

He's only allowed so much ED&T (excused drill & training). I'm damned if I can recall how much though, but a year is likely well to the end of it. He doesn't have much other choice, I think, than to start parading again. If he's being asked to start again, it's likely because he's run out of time and unless he can come up with a med TCat saying otherwise, he's likely out of luck and the Unit is within it's pervue to request his presense.

Whether it's LOA or ED&T he's run out of alloted time from the sounds of it.

Some of the "Pressure" that is being put on him to parade, is actually for his benefit.

With the message getting out to all the units, specifically by the CDS with his campaign of "Be the Difference", The Joint Speakers bureau, and OSISS units are making the effort to monitor their troops when they return.  This is especially difficult for Reserve units when their troops have an autonomy to come and go as they please.

I agree 100%.  It's too easy for the member to be overlooked or slip away while on ED&T.  If the unit loses contact with him, it makes it much harder to look after him.

recceguy said:
He's only allowed so much ED&T (excused drill & training). I'm damned if I can recall how much though, but a year is likely well to the end of it.

He can go beyond a year, but it will require CLS approval. (CF Mil Pers Instr 20-04 para 3.8 b(4))

From someone that is currently in that situation, it is a big adjustment.  I have been away from my unit for almost 2 years, and there is a big difference coming back. 

He should check with his unit, and see what supports are in place for his return: for example is he returning to a position similar to to what he was previous employed in the unit at, or being put back in a lower/higher position.  If he has been in for a while he will also see people that joined after him now out rank him.

As some of the others have said, he should contact his CO and talk with him.  Another option is to transfer to the reg force (he should get an offer in the mail) and be back with the guys he deployed with.

hope that helps

His unit is only doing its job as he's back on their books.  Units are being pressured to have maximum turnout for events, and since they're aware he's back he's expected to turn out.  If he has rank, then they're probably hoping for him to assume a leadership position, and if nothing else they want him to instruct/take his leadership courses to maximize his contribution.

If he's tired and doesn't want to play, then all he has to do is turn up for one night a month as a bare minimum to stay off the NES list, and regardless of the university program he should be able to handle that.  I've had guys whose jobs and/or school have made that a necessity sometimes.  It sucks not having them out more often but at least it keeeps them off the $hit list.     

If they're being tactless then that's another matter entirely.  Nevertheless, if he doesn't feel like coming out anymore then he should make a decision.  If he's having some problems on the personal side, then there are resources for him as well. 

Back