• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Press Gallery on the Military

toyotatundra

Inactive
Reaction score
Don Martin and Lawrence Martin, two of the most prominent, most experienced journalists in the Ottawa Press Gallery. If they are the cream of the crop, I'd hate to taste the curds.

First, Lawrence Martin.

http://ipolitics.ca/2011/07/08/lawrence-martin-the-new-hawks-of-the-western-world/

Behold the new Canadian militarism. It’s everywhere.

Militarism? Has mass conscription been enacted? Are there tanks surrounding Parliament Hill?

Hardly a week goes by without the government gushing about our troops

I think he means, offering condolences to the families of fallen soldiers.

The government is moving ahead on the purchase of the zillion-dollar F-35 super jets

A zillion dollars? How much is a zillion anyways? Martin is supposed to be a serious journalist, not a Valley Girl.

we’re trying to build a Pentagon-styled war machine.

Defense spending is expected to a rise slowly over the next few years. We'd need huge increases every year to get anywhere close to the Pentagon.

Now for Don Martin.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110707/don-martin-afghanistan-canadian-military-110707/

The new enemy is boot camp boredom

How will the end of the mission result in boot camp boredom?

the likely result is the return to a military funding decade of semi-darkness.

Funding estimates foresee positive growth in future defense spending.

Now in the post-Afghanistan era, Canada's armed forces have lost their mojo

War as an Austin Powers movie?

But ripping the guts out of the front-line battalions

put Canada's military into a tailspin

another 9-11 attack.

Whoa, talk about sensationalistic reporting.

And here's senior Toronto Star commentator Thomas Walkom. He says we went into Afghanistan to ensure just in time delivery of auto parts.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1021275--walkom-assessing-the-brutal-pointless-afghan-war#article

You haven't read here enough. You're preaching to the choir. We know all about your new found sensationalists.

However, thanks for the posting, it only reinforces our initial and ongoing assessments.

recceguy said:
You haven't read here enough. You're preaching to the choir. We know all about your new found sensationalists.

However, thanks for the posting, it only reinforces our initial and ongoing assessments.

Before joining the CF, I assumed that senior journalists were experienced and informed. That they had insider knowledge of how the DND works. Then when I joined a unit, I was shocked to hear the frustration of many soldiers at lazy or deliberately misleading reporting.

toyotatundra said:
Before joining the CF, I assumed that senior journalists were experienced and informed. That they had insider knowledge of how the DND works. Then when I joined a unit, I was shocked to hear the frustration of many soldiers at lazy or deliberately misleading reporting.

You have to keep in mind that many senior journalists are, because of their experience, permitted to editorialize.  That means that their true feelings for things, or the slant of the paper for whom they work, starts coming into view.

Strike said:
You have to keep in mind that many senior journalists are, because of their experience, permitted to editorialize.  That means that their true feelings for things, or the slant of the paper for whom they work, starts coming into view.

I noticed the same problem during the election. It was difficult for folks like Don Martin to keep their personal beliefs from coloring their reporting.

toyotatundra said:
Before joining the CF, I assumed that senior journalists were experienced and informed. That they had insider knowledge of how the DND works.
  :rofl:

Strike said:
They may have some time-in license to editorialize, but when opinion or editorializing enters the content, though, it goes against, at least, the CBC's Journalism Policies, especially about Impartiality:
We provide professional judgment based on facts and expertise. We do not promote any particular point of view on matters of public debate.
If that's happening, we're not hearing from a journalist, but an editorialist - not labeling opinion as such is still wrong.

Back