• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

President Obama’s 944 commutations: Why he’s releasing prisoners

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
President Obama’s 944 commutations: Why he’s releasing prisoners
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2016/1105/President-Obama-s-944-commutations-Why-he-s-releasing-prisoners
President Obama's commutations are part of an effort to reform the United States' criminal justice system, from mandatory minimum sentencing to re-entry programs for released prisoners.
By Christina Beck, Staff November 5, 2016

The White House announced on Friday that 72 inmates currently incarcerated in federal prisons will have their sentences commuted, as President Obama continues to work towards criminal justice reform during his last few months in office.

With Friday’s announcement, Mr. Obama has thus far commuted the sentences of nearly 1,000 inmates, more than any other president in US history.

Proponents of Obama’s commutations praise this as a small - but highly visible - part of this administrations efforts to address the overcrowded US prisons, mostly filled by minorities who got long sentences due to controversial mandatory minimum sentencing rules.

The White House announced on Friday that 72 inmates currently incarcerated in federal prisons will have their sentences commuted, as President Obama continues to work towards criminal justice reform during his last few months in office.

With Friday’s announcement, Mr. Obama has thus far commuted the sentences of nearly 1,000 inmates, more than any other president in US history.

Proponents of Obama’s commutations praise this as a small - but highly visible - part of this administrations efforts to address the overcrowded US prisons, mostly filled by minorities who got long sentences due to controversial mandatory minimum sentencing rules.
Recommended: Can you pass the written police officer exam?

“These grants represent 72 reunited families,” Cynthia W. Roseberry, project manager for Clemency Project 2014, told the Washington Post. “They also represent hope to others who have applied. We are grateful that President Obama is keeping his word to grant more clemency.”

The White House released a list of those granted more lenient sentences by Obama, many of whom were originally serving sentences that ranged from several decades to life, mostly for drug-related crimes.

The president has been especially proactive during his last year in office, commuting the majority of the 944 sentences in the past year. In the past eight days alone, the president has commuted 170 sentences.

“The President is committed to reinvigorating the clemency authority, demonstrating that our nation is a nation of second chances, where mistakes from the past will not deprive deserving individuals of the opportunity to rejoin society and contribute to their families and communities,” wrote White House counsel Neil Eggleston in a blog post.

More on link

And the details (including the offences and sentences) of those involved.

Commutations Granted by President Barack Obama (2009-2016)
https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-commutations##Nov42016

Blackadder1916 said:

Based on word-count (because I wasn't going to read each one)..... overwhelmingly druggies.

Methamphetamines  226
Firearms (usually tied to felony and drugs) 218
Marijuana  87
Heroin  50
......but the clear winner is cocaine/'crack'  999+

Oh, and three together with an assortment of "conspiracy to gather and transmit national defense information; conspiracy to commit murder; fraud and misuse of documents...."  :tsktsk:

Journeyman said:
. . . overwhelmingly druggies.

And that would be consistent with this in the OP article  "The White House released a list of those granted more lenient sentences by Obama, many of whom were originally serving sentences that ranged from several decades to life, mostly for drug-related crimes".  One of the supposed reasons for Obama's commutation program is the overwhelmingly high percentage of persons of colour who received the mandatory minimum (or greater) sentence based on involvement with "cocaine base" (i.e. crack - the version more associated with lower economic classes) which required a significantly smaller amount threshold than "cocaine or its salts" (powder - more associated with higher end druggies).  Before the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010, the weight disparity ratio was 100:1, it is now 18:1.  By counting cocaine/crack as a single category it masks the issue.  A review of the sentences commuted would probably indicate that they were predominately for individuals convicted for crack offences prior to 2010.

Blackadder1916 said:
.....involvement with "cocaine base" (i.e. crack - the version more associated with lower economic classes)
....like Toronto mayors.  :nod:

Blackadder1916 said:

13 people convicted of firearms offenses, released by someone who wants to be tougher on guns.

PuckChaser said:
13 people convicted of firearms offenses, released by someone who wants to be tougher on guns.

Not wanting to take a side about the ethics or efficacy of this program, or even really wanting to dig through the massive list, but the pedantic gene does compel me to provide this example of one of the firearms offenders "released".

Alfonso Allen

Offense:
Conspiracy to distribute 50 grams or more of cocaine base, 21 U.S.C. §§ 846 & 851; distribution of cocaine base (two counts), 21 U.S.C. § 841(a)(1); possession with intent to distribute cocaine, cocaine base and marijuana, 21 U.S.C. §§ 841(a)(1) & 851; possession of a short barreled shotgun in furtherance of a felony drug offense, 18 U.S.C. § 924(c)(1)(A); possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1); possession of an unregistered short barreled shotgun, 26 U.S.C. § 5861(d)

District/Date:
Southern District of Florida; August 25, 2009

Sentence:
Life plus 120 months’ imprisonment; 10 years' supervised release

Terms of grant:
Prison sentence commuted to a term of 360 months' imprisonment, leaving intact and in effect the 10-year term of supervised release with all its conditions and all other components of the sentence.

Now, while Alfonso may be a thoroughly despicable scumbag, we don't know the minutiae of his offences, however, his criminal activity had him convicted in 2009 and (likely because of mandatory minimums) sentenced to life imprisonment to be followed by a further 10 years after completing that life sentence (of course we don't know the details of concurrent/consecutive, how the US Federal justice system calculates the number of years in life, parole, etc . . . ).  His grant given in August of 2016 commuted his sentence to 360 months (30 years) - if he serves a full sentence he will get out in 2039.  Commutation doesn't mean a pardon or immediate release.

PuckChaser said:
::)

And I did mention, for those who actually read words......
Journeyman said:
Firearms   (usually tied to felony and drugs)  218
....not JUST because everything Dem (or even Liberal) is unthinkingly evil, but because firearms were involved in a crime.
    :brickwall:

...considering the percentage of commutations and firearm crimes would be way  too much to be figured out, I won't even go there. 
[ 13?!  :panic:  ]

Journeyman said:
::)

And I did mention, for those who actually read words..........not JUST because everything Dem (or even Liberal) is unthinkingly evil, but because firearms were involved in a crime.
    :brickwall:

...considering the percentage of commutations and firearm crimes would be way  too much to be figured out, I won't even go there. 
[ 13?!  :panic:  ]

And I suspect that the weapons were found after searching the house or vehicle, or while doing a patdown. In most cases of drug related gun crimes, the gun wasn't "Used" in the commission of the actual crime. It was completely innocent, just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

cupper said:
......the gun wasn't "Used" in the commission of the actual crime. It was completely innocent, just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Quite likely.  But since I haven't lived in the States for a while, I've regressed to 'possessing an illegal firearm as part of a felony criminal arrest' really isn't "completely innocent." I'm Canadian.  ;D

Disclaimer: yes, there are firearms in my household.  I've never done pretty much any of the drugs listed.  I've never "conspired" to commit murder, although there are a few people that I feel karma has missed.

Back