• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRes NCM to Regular Logistics Officer -- Some Questions

newton123

Inactive
Reaction score
I am about to initiate a career move from being a Reservist NCM to potentially a Log O.  I have passed up the relevant memo and everyone in my chain is happy enough about my move.  The problem is that I am not sure what the proper process is so that the whole thing goes smoothly and without undue admin screwups etc.  I have had a taste of this even at such an early point---my orderly room staff are at odds with information I heard from people at CFRC.

Before you consider things further I am totally qualified prerequisite-wise for the job and am medically fit, so go forward with these assumptions.

What I need to know is:

1.    What can I do personally to keep things moving?

2.    What could my unit, even unintentionally, do to retard or prevent my transfer? 

3.    What precisely are the steps that have to be taken?  This has not been made especially clear, and I have received contradictory info.

4.    How long does the process take if things go smoothly?

5.    How long on average does the process take, allowing for the inevitable "lost files" etc?

Thank you!

1.  Applications are supposed to go to DMCA directly - search the site here and you'll find a link.
Fill out the proper form and send it in  - your unit will automatically get a copy sent to them as well.

2.  If your MPRR is not up-to-date you may miss out on equivalencies offered.  Delays answering questions from DMCA may also slow the process.  You may need appointments to see a Med O or a PSel O; if those are booked late it may cause delays.

3.  I'll defer to others who have first hand experience on this one.

4.  "It Depends".  When are the courses you will need offered?  When are there course vacancies?  How up-to-date is your file - medical in the last 5 years?  Security clearance?  What's the status of Log intake for this FY and enxt FY?

5.  See #4.

You are trying to undergo a CT and OT - those double-barrelled transfers tend to take longer.  You must be found acceptable in the new trade, there must be openings in that trade, and your pers file has to be assessed to see what can be written off for training, and what is still required.

Way ahead:  Be your own advocate.  Keep track of who you speak with, when it is, and what they state.  If they say "It will take three weeks unitil the review of your file is complete" don't call back for three weeks (unless it's a repeated stall).  When you speak with people, ask what you can do to help the process, ask if there are things you can do concurrently to help.

I will confirm the length of time it takes to go from PRes NCM -> Reg Force Officer.

I started my process 2 Jan 08. I've been told I'm accepted and now awaiting which BMOQ I'll be on. I was told I'd find that out by the end of Feb. So anyday now.

So don't delay, act today! :)

I can't find the appropriate forms externally.  Are the available directly or do I have to go all the way to my unit to fill out the forms?

Look at this internet site for a start:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/doc/03-08-eng.pdf

Then, on the DWAN, look at this link:

http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgmc/engraph/ComponentTxfer_e.asp?Opensub=12

for the online submission process.  Your OR should be able to help.

Fill that form out and send it in to the email address provided.  Your unit plays almost no role in this process at all.  The reserve unit has all been cut out of the process to ensure that you dont get delayed for no reason as has been happening before.

Once you send in the form, its just a hurry up and wait thing.

You should prepare yourself to wait for about a year or more, thats about how long it takes especially when you are doing an OT at the same time.

Thanks both.  The form is completed and send--very simple!  The guidance I've received agrees that the wait is about a year (i.e. it happens when it happens, very quick for some but between 9-15 months for ncm to regular officer).

What sort of confirmation do I receive that they have the request and are considering it?  I half expected an auto-reply to the addy I provided but got nothing...

You get a responce from them pretty quick, after that, nothing for a very long time, so keep at them and keep sending emails asking for updates about once a month or so.

So when a reply does come (PSO interview for example) it will come from that channel, to my e-mail inbox? 

The reply is just going to confirm that they have it and are opening a file for you.

In my case, PSO interview happened much much later.  Its very slow.

dapaterson said:

Hi!
The second link does not work, is there another link available or another website... I have no idea where to find the application form....
thank you

The second link won't work because you can not access it outside the DND INTRAnet

Thank you, do you know what I am supposed to do then?

(My CFRC told me to do it by internet... they said I would find it easily... ???)

the_girlfirend said:
Thank you, do you know what I am supposed to do then?

(My CFRC told me to do it by internet... they said I would find it easily... ???)

dapaterson said:

As in your Orderly Room should be able to help.

Orderly room - The room used for regimental or company business.

i.e. where all the RMS Clerks hang out.

For those who are going through the CT process, or thinking of it, here is an update on my stuation.  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing!  Nobody has been in touch until I nagged very recently, and even then they had nothing to say.  It has been 8 months and I am reliably told that my wait could easily be another 8 months or more.  It seems nobody knows or even has a vague ballpark figure.

Though I continue my reserve duties I have had no new medical (prob don't need one) and certainly no PSO interview.  A career in today's forces requires initiative, integrity, stamina, committment and...it seems above all, patience!  Lots of it.

I think in this case your trades choice may have something to do with the delay.  It appears that LOG O training is backed up and those who are already in the reg force are waiting a long time for MOC training.  Its possible that based on this, they have closed down LOG O intakes for the time being.  I know this is the case for INT O as well.  When I get into the office I will PM you the email information to the officer at DMCA.  In the event that my assumption is not correct, he may be able to help get things rolling for you.

Considering I haven't been to the BPSO yet, could I specify other trades I would consider in addition to LOG O?  DMCA was in touch but, like last time, didn't really have much to say.  It is hard to plan things when I don't know where I stand. 

I don't have access to the DIN, does anyone know the outlook for LOG O this year? 

Back