• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Preparing for running / jogging

macktruck

Reaction score
Hi,

What distances are covered in standard jogging / running daily and at what pace? I see a lot of conflicting answers.

1. Daily runs
- Distance ?
2. Any long distance runs?
  • Distance ?
  • How often ?
3. Are there rest periods during the longer runs?
- How long ?

Thanks
I searched for: "running", "jogging" before posting this.

Depends often on the course staff.
Ensure you have good shoes that fit your feet just in case you get a Course Officer fresh off their Ranger course (my PPCLI Battle School experience) and back then it was in the Cornwallis cripplers, not personal runners.

There's probably no real way to answer your questions. The reality is that during basic training, you will have some periods of PT, which may or may not, but probably will, involve running. How much and how far depends on who's leading the run. I would hazard that any running will start slow at the beginning of the course, and pick up as the course continues. The best thing you can do is prepare yourself. If you're not a runner, then I recommend starting the "couch to 5K programme". It's something you can do on your own, and it takes you from 0 to 5k over a period of 9 weeks. Typically three sessions per week.

Hi,

What distances are covered in standard jogging / running daily and at what pace? I see a lot of conflicting answers.

1. Daily runs
- Distance ?
2. Any long distance runs?
  • Distance ?
  • How often ?
3. Are there rest periods during the longer runs?
- How long ?

Thanks
I searched for: "running", "jogging" before posting this.

If you have a local gym or running kit store that has a ‘learn to run‘ program I’d highly recommend it. Lots of great advice about gear and training, and lots of people to run at your own pace with.

There's probably no real way to answer your questions. The reality is that during basic training, you will have some periods of PT, which may or may not, but probably will, involve running. How much and how far depends on who's leading the run. I would hazard that any running will start slow at the beginning of the course, and pick up as the course continues. The best thing you can do is prepare yourself. If you're not a runner, then I recommend starting the "couch to 5K programme". It's something you can do on your own, and it takes you from 0 to 5k over a period of 9 weeks. Typically three sessions per week.
Thanks to all for the responses. Currently I run a 1 - 3 miles a day no matter what, every day without fail.

My target for Vo2max is upwards of 40, but currently I'm in the thirties. I'm tracking around 10 min/mile, with a goal of around 9 min/mile before I enter. I haven't even completed the FORCE test yet, only CFAT has been scheduled so far, and that's still 30 days away.

I'm just a bit worried that there will be expectations of a 15m run without stopping. Does such a thing exist? Not sure I could do a half marathon.

I'm just a bit worried that there will be expectations of a 15k run without stopping. Does such a thing exist? Not sure I could do a half marathon.
Running every day is a great way to injure yourself.
Stop running in miles; start running in kilometers.
In most cases you have 40 or 50 minutes for PT and that includes time for a warm up and cool down. You're not running very far in that time.
Lots of people on basic become injured if you look at then wrong. If you can run for 5kms you'll be fine. There's people graduating basic that can't run 500 meters.

Stop running in miles; start running in kilometers.
In most cases you have 40 or 50 minutes for PT and that includes time for a warm up and cool down. You're not running very far in that time.
If you can run for 5kms you'll be fine. There's people graduating basic that can't run 500 meters.

Thanks for the tips, appreciated. To clarify, I run every day usually 2 - 5k, but with varying pace.

Been rough here due to the wildfire smoke. Haven't been able to exercise outside for almost 3 weeks now.
You say you already run 2-5k every day, you will be fine.

Lets go!

Reactions: MJP
Been rough here due to the wildfire smoke. Haven't been able to exercise outside for almost 3 weeks now.
You say you already run 2-5k every day, you will be fine.

Lets go!
Thanks! Yeah, I've been watching the news, hope it gets better soon.

I'm actually training out in the Pacific Rim, 30 - 36 degrees every day with over 70% humidity. Same with the gym workouts, gym has a galvanized steel roof and no air conditioning.

Thanks! Yeah, I've been watching the news, hope it gets better soon.

I'm actually training out in the Pacific Rim, 30 - 36 degrees every day with over 70% humidity. Same with the gym workouts, gym has a galvanized steel roof and no air conditioning.

Yes!

Eye Of The Tiger Dean GIF

Just an update for anyone who is interested:

Updated run times
1 mile: 8m46s
5k: 30m57s
Weight: 214lbs

Winter training has been a lot easier than training in the Pacific Rim when I made the choice / decided to sign up.

Generally not as most runs are going to be group runs. As for individual runs, you don't have to be first, but you don't want to be last.

Do they time how fast you complete your runs, or how does it work.

Thanks.
No idea.
Generally not as most runs are going to be group runs. As for individual runs, you don't have to be first, but you don't want to be last.
Is there pushing, shoving, tripping during the group runs? Serious question, I’m wondering how much tolerance there is for that sort of “victimless” horsing around.

No idea.

Is there pushing, shoving, tripping during the group runs? Serious question, I’m wondering how much tolerance there is for that sort of “victimless” horsing around.
There is NO tolerance for that stuff. There are staff on the run watching the candidates. Training is designed to build teamwork and that sort of stuff will not be allowed.

There is NO tolerance for that stuff. There are staff on the run watching the candidates. Training is designed to build teamwork and that sort of stuff will not be allowed.
Thanks. I figured as much, maybe I watch too many movies 😂

Back