• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pre-Assessment Questionnaire

What do they ask in Pre-enrollment Security Clearance interview*. I have been scheduled one, but don't know how to prepare and what to bring.

Just to clarify, are you wondering what you will be asked in your standard interview as part of your total application package or are you asking about anything related to your Pre-enrollment Security Clearance/Pre-Assessment Questionnaire?  I personally haven't come across the term "pre-secure interview" before.

If it's the former, I can't tell you what you will be asked specifically, but there are several threads about successful applicants and the sharing of their interview tips in Personal Stories, Recruiting. I went to mine dressed in business-wear, I knew my trade well, brought copies of relevant certificates/licenses, CV, etc. If it's the latter and you're wondering what it is, this link should help you.

http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/pre_secur_en.pdf

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience getting a pre-assessment done. I read through the other threads and it doesn't seem like anyone with experience has actually comment on this topic. Most of the information is on the Pre-assessment questionnaire and not the pre-assessment itself.

My situation: Basically, the CFRC has stopped communicating with me. I applied back in October 2013 and everything went pretty smoothly. I was in constant communication with the CFRC and they called me whenever they needed anything. I was processed through and my background check was good. I did my medical and interview in July 2014. I live up in Northern BC so I had to reschedule my CFAT, Interview, and Medicals to later dates and that's why it looks like my application has taken a long time. I could have had my interview much earlier so I know its not because I am not competitive. After my medical was approved I received an email in September asking me to fill out a pre-assessment questionnaire again. I am a dual citizen by birth which means I have foreign implications. After I sent off the form in September, I did not hear anything back from the CFRC until November. I called them and they said that it had come back as "Pre-assessment required." I asked what was the next step and they told me to wait to be contacted by a file manager. So I waited until December, at which time, when I called, I was told that no further work would be done because of the holidays.

Mid-January, I called the CFRC to inquire about the status of the pre-assessment. I was told that I was supposed to fill out a form sent by a file manager. I never received such a form (60E) so the guy at the front desk emailed it to me. I immediately filled it out and emailed it to the contact email they provided. Since then I have heard nothing. I called again last Wednesday to see if anything had happened and the front desk guy basically told me to wait to be contacted about it. So I'm just going to wait another month and call again. I contacted the email they had previously given me to confirm if they had received my forms but the email did not get a reply. It just seems like my file just stopped because of this pre-assessment and nobody is sending it out. This is especially frustrating since I know it is going to take a long time.

Any advice or other people's stories or experience with the pre-assessment would be greatly appreciated.

If you feel you are getting the run around I would suggest you show up in person. Its much harder to not address someone when they are in front of you.

It's pretty simple.  After completing the Pre-Sec Questionnaire, you wait.  If it so happens that the response to questionnaire results in you being subject to the Pre-Sec process, then you submit the 330-60.  Your CFRC submits that to Ottawa and then the waiting begins.  Wait times vary and can range from 2-24 months depending on the country(s) involved.

Once you have submitted the 330-60 and it MUST be an original signed copy, there is nothing your CFRC can do.  It's out of their hands, so don't bother asking for updates.  But do maintain contact every 45-60 days, if just to say "I'm still interested."

Wow, within an hour of posting this yesterday, I received an email from the CFRC saying that my pre-assessment was being sent off. Now to wait for my pre-assessment to be cleared. Hopefully it doesn't take more than a few months.

DAA said:
It's pretty simple.  After completing the Pre-Sec Questionnaire, you wait.  If it so happens that the response to questionnaire results in you being subject to the Pre-Sec process, then you submit the 330-60.  Your CFRC submits that to Ottawa and then the waiting begins.  Wait times vary and can range from 2-24 months depending on the country(s) involved."
My problem wasn't with the questionnaire or if I was require to go through Pre-sec. When I called in I was told I had been deemed "Required". I knew I was required but nobody was contacting me for the information to actually send it to Ottawa so I basically had to pursue the issue myself and bother them enough until they sent it. Thank you for the time range, I'm gonna take your advice and just call in once every 6 weeks or so to show interest.

Basically my question is if any of you guys have had any experience with Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment Questionnaire and if so how long did the whole process take because on the website it says it could take between 6-18 months to complete.

I just sent in my on-line employment application to the CAF yesterday and I would like to get through this whole process without any major delays. One of the questions on the application was whether or not I have lived in Canada continuously for the past 10 years but I have only lived here continuously for 7 years. However it does say that the Security Clearance Pre-assessment MAY be necessary so hopefully I can avoid it.

I was born in Canada in 1995 and I'm a Canadian citizen. In 2001 I moved with my parents to Kuwait and lived there until 2007. In 2007 me and my mom moved to Slovakia and lived there for almost a year and then we moved back to Canada in March 2008 and I've been here ever since. I don't have a dual citizenship, I'm a Canadian citizen, I don't have any immediate relatives that live outside of Canada. Again the only thing is that I have resided outside of Canada in excess of 180 days in the last ten years. Do you think that will require me to complete the Security Clearance Pre-assessment? I really don't want to have to wait an extra 6-18 months on top of the regular wait time to join the CAF.

The questionnaire that you filled out, will be sent to another office in Ottawa who will decide whether or not you will be subject to a full Pre-Sec.

All you can do, is wait for your CFRC to respond back.

DAA said:
The questionnaire that you filled out, will be sent to another office in Ottawa who will decide whether or not you will be subject to a full Pre-Sec.

I'm a little confused, which questionnaire are you talking about? The only thing I have filled out and submitted was my on-line employment application. Am I supposed to have already filled Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment Questionnaire or do I wait for them to tell me to fill it out? On the Forces.ca website under "Apply Now" they talk about the Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment Questionnaire under step 6 and I'm not even done step 2 yet because they haven't asked me to contact my local recruiting centre.

Thank you for the reply by the way.

Bartan said:
I'm a little confused, which questionnaire are you talking about? The only thing I have filled out and submitted was my on-line employment application. Am I supposed to have already filled Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment Questionnaire or do I wait for them to tell me to fill it out? On the Forces.ca website under "Apply Now" they talk about the Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment Questionnaire under step 6 and I'm not even done step 2 yet because they haven't asked me to contact my local recruiting centre.

Thank you for the reply by the way.

My bad.....

Once you have been contacted and are scheduled to write the CFAT/TSD, they will have you complete that questionnaire and that will be sent for assessment.

Oh I see, thank you very much for the info. Guess I will just have to keep my fingers crossed

Hello,

I am currently in the application process and my CFAT is next week. Just wondering if anyone here knows what decision process looks like regarding the "Security Clearance Pre-Assessment". I've done some minor traveling which I don't expect to be an issue but what I am concerned about it having to wait 6-18 months longer due to the fact that I have a common-law relationship with my Australian partner.

I have listed both her parents and step-father as my "in-laws" via common-law although I have only met her mother and step-father once and I have never met her father. Unless I am mistaken these checks are to verify personal connections to potentially damaging parties abroad through relationships and not to sound crass but I don't really have a relationship with the parents of my partner who live on the other side of the world and it would really suck to have to wait for almost double the time of a normal application for this reason.

Not going to "complain" about it if it happens then it happens but just wondering what the process/decision making factors are regarding these kinds of checks.

Cheers.

See also,

Security Clearance Pre-Assessment
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+++Pre-Assessment&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=lbxjWeeTLoKR8Qfz8ZDYAg&gws_rd=ssl

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

After completion of CFAT & TBS 330-23 (Mintz Global Security),

I was required to fill out Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment Questionnaire (330-60e)(not signed, just email), and wait for "Pre-Assessment Interview" in CFRC office to sign & submit this form (to Ottawa, which begins the real 6-18 months assessment process).

My questions:
1. How long to wait for "Pre-Assessment Interview"? It has been 2 weeks since I submitted it through email.

2. I was exchange student to Germany for 5 months in 2013 and I was required to get police background check for the period.
2.1 Do I must get the background check myself (Y/N)? or it should be done during assessment?
2.2 Do I must get it before "Pre-Assessment Interview", or I could do it as supplyment document during the process?

This "Pre-Assessment Interview" looks addition to "Pre-Assessment Questionnaire", I didn't find information through search. Please help. Thanks.

A couple points for you.

1. The "TBS 330-23E/F" and "TBS 330-60E/F" are Treasury Board Forms; Mintz Global Security was the company performing the background checks for the CAF, the two aren't linked.  In the very near future (if not already in some area's) a new company has been contracted to perform the background checks.

2. To answer #1; the time period that you will have to wait to get the Pre-Assessment Interview can vary on CFRC and the time of year you're applying.  If you've applied for an occupation that is currently closed for processing, you won't be seen until the occupation opens again.  If you've applied to a CFRC that is at maximum processing capacity at the moment and you've applied for an occupation that isn't identified as priority you won't be seen until the CFRC is able to process more files.  You should contact your particular CFRC and ask them how long of a wait you should expect before having your appointment.

3. For 2.1 you will receive directions when you have your Pre-Assessment done; wait for those instructions.

4. Without knowing your complete history it's hard to tell online if you do have to do a Pre-Assessment process; however from the sounds of your message, yes you meet at least one (if not more) of the conditions that requires someone to have a Pre-Assessment completed.  Added on top of this, CFRC's rarely (mistakes happen, we're human) put someone through a process that isn't required.

As always recruiting is your best source of information on your particular file; you should really reach out to your CFRC and speak with someone there.

Buck_HRA said:
1. The "TBS 330-23E/F" and "TBS 330-60E/F" are Treasury Board Forms; Mintz Global Security was the company performing the background checks for the CAF, the two aren't linked.  In the very near future (if not already in some area's) a new company has been contracted to perform the background checks.

Mintz called my references 2 months ago. So I think 330-23 is completed, 330-60e is additional requirement to 330-23, because I met all 3 conditions (not borned, not lived 10 years, have parents abroad).
I just don't know 330-23 and 330-60e are separate process and I have to go over both.

Buck_HRA said:
If you've applied for an occupation that is currently closed for processing, you won't be seen until the occupation opens again.  If you've applied to a CFRC that is at maximum processing capacity at the moment and you've applied for an occupation that isn't identified as priority you won't be seen until the CFRC is able to process more files.  You should contact your particular CFRC and ask them how long of a wait you should expect before having your appointment.
Trades always reopen in April, but the pre-assessment takes 1-2 years anyway - longer than annual selection cycle. I don't know if change trades could accelerate the process (from LOG to NCMs, anyway the pre-assessment is unavoidable).
Visiting CFRC office should be best way. Thanks a lot!

Back