Long-story short: I am a well-educated, physically fit Canadian looking to volunteer for the Canadian Forces, but am hung-up on security clearance issues. I am wondering if there is a way to expedite the process. Below or some more details of my situation.
I have recently, at the age of 31, decided to join the reserves. I applied to become an Infantry Officer, despite recommendations that I become a Logistics officer. I received my conditional offer, but am required to fill out a Security Clearance Form. Then subsequently being informed that having to fill out said form will likely extended the application timeframe by a year or more. I was informed that the reason for this is because I have immediate family living abroad. A sibling (Canadian citizen) teaching english in Japan. I as well, am a naturally born citizen.
Not encouraging news. I hear the form must be accurate, otherwise further delays will occur. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of information which is now fairly vague for me. I've held quite a few jobs over the last 10 years, and have several residences. There is no way I accurately remember the dates, names, and addresses for this history. And on a more embarrassing note, I am having difficulty finding the exact date one of my parents passed away, as it happened out of the country.
I am not trying to volunteer for the career prospects, or any of the monetary benefits involved. In fact, I would volunteer for free, were it an option. My primary drivers are (in no specific order): I want to do something for my country other than pay taxes, I have always been fascinated by the military culture and have immense respect for our armed forces, I believe that there is a certain discipline and strength of character that comes with involvement in the military (which almost made me apply to be a regular, NCM). That being said, for practical purposes, I chose the reserves, as I have $100K in student loans that pretty much require I find a full-time job other than one in the CF.
All in all, this is seriously eroding my determination to enrol. I already had to overcome near unanimous opposition to my decision to join, and now am faced with quite the bureaucratic hurdle which might see me join no earlier than 2010 or later.
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.