• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pouches

DrSize

Inactive
Reaction score
For the guys who buy their vests/rigs with the molle what kind of pouches do you like and use.  I am going with either a TT or SOE chest rig and not sure what pouches and config I want to go with.

I'm a fan of HSGI gear (specifically their Utility pouch)...  I'm not entirely sold on any specific mag pouch, 'cause I'm picky, but they're all generally the same... they hold mags...  ;)

What, specifically, are you setting up your rig for; rifleman, M203, C9?

I am very picky too and have spent way too much time trying to figure this out.  I need to hold 9 mags so I would like 3 mag pouches that hold 3 mags preferably with molle on the outside.  I need 2 frag pouches and 2 smoke pouches.  Probably an admin type pouch preferably with molle on the outside and not too large.  Something to carry my NVGs etc and  I want to keep the whole setup as compact and small as possible.  I plan on carrying the majority of stuff in my pack and just want absolute essentials on my rig.

I like this rig too but don't like how the large utility pouches are fixed http://www.ustactical.com/bds-tactical-battle-chest-rig-1803.html

DrSize said:
I am very picky too and have spent way too much time trying to figure this out.

Yeah... I'd suggest looking on DS Tactical... they have a good selection.

DrSize said:
  I need to hold 9 mags so I would like 3 mag pouches that hold 3 mags preferably with molle on the outside.

Good luck... I've been looking for the same thing for a while.  Basically, the only option you have is a Mag Shingle if you want MOLLE on the sides and front... which means no flap.  And it's tricky finding the perfect mag pouch in CADPAT...

DrSize said:
I need 2 frag pouches and 2 smoke pouches.  Probably an admin type pouch preferably with molle on the outside and not too large.  Something to carry my NVGs etc and  I want to keep the whole setup as compact and small as possible.  I plan on carrying the majority of stuff in my pack and just want absolute essentials on my rig.

I'd suggest looking at places like DS Tactical, Once Shot Tactical, and CPgear... And search the boards for kit reviews.

DrSize said:
I like this rig too but don't like how the large utility pouches are fixed http://www.ustactical.com/bds-tactical-battle-chest-rig-1803.html

I had a rigger in Petawawa stitch up a MOLLE tac vest for me... Same pattern as the issued TV, but no pouches, just MOLLE... no zipper either; velcro and fastex buckles instead.  Works well.

There are a few guys on the boards here who could probably sort you out (eg. riggermade)

Sounds like you're doing what I did, look into the Warlord V4 at DS Tactical. It has a large admin panel and MOLLE around the front and sides. I had three 2/3 mag pouches from CPGear mounted on the front and two grenade pouches on the right side of the front. The left and right sides had utility pouches with smoke grenade pouches on the sides (similar to the tacvest pouches).

DrSize said:
I am very picky too and have spent way too much time trying to figure this out.  I need to hold 9 mags so I would like 3 mag pouches that hold 3 mags preferably with molle on the outside.  I need 2 frag pouches and 2 smoke pouches.  Probably an admin type pouch preferably with molle on the outside and not too large.  Something to carry my NVGs etc and  I want to keep the whole setup as compact and small as possible.  I plan on carrying the majority of stuff in my pack and just want absolute essentials on my rig.

Frag, smoke and admin pouch are easy and basically you are limited to size as grenades are what they are...You say you want to go small but want to carry 9 mags with molle which leads me to believe you are thinking about mounting something to the outside...that is going to add bulk and unless it is a system with some sort of stiffener on the front as soon as you start pulling mags the weight of whatever is in front will cause it to drag down....as Piper said you can look at a shingle system...I have made 4 and 6's in this system ( a 6 could be made to hold 9 and would be 3 wide and 3 deep,  I think you would have to wear it in the middle because of weight and bulk)...some guys would put one on each side and leave the centre open for other pouches....Bulletmagnet could better let you know how this worked...the top is open in this system with bungi holding the mags in ...once again some guys like the system

I am by no means an expert in the use of this but have made plenty...feel free to PM me if you have any questions

I use Riggers shingle and I have rave reviews for them, I currently run with 2, 4 mag shingles, I have some mods I want to do to mine but they are job related and not design flaws. For the avg end user I highly recommend the shingles. I had 2, 3 mag shingles previous and used it on tour with my rig it worked very well. For the 3 mag shingle I had them mounted dead centre of the rig side by each and mounted my auxiliary pouches left and right of that. The way I roll now is to have the shingles mounted centre (slightly left) and then the second one on the left of that.  When rigging your rig the main concern is going to be even weight distribution and 9 full mags are going to be heavy.

If you're looking for shingles, and you're worried about the lack of a flap, you might want to look into the shingles made by TAG, SOE, or SO Tech. All of which have molle fronts and full covering flaps.

R031button said:
If you're looking for shingles, and you're worried about the lack of a flap, you might want to look into the shingles made by TAG, SOE, or SO Tech. All of which have molle fronts and full covering flaps.

I'm looking for something like this;
MPS43081.jpg

BDS Tactical Modular Stacker 4 308 Magazine Pouch

But in CADPAT.

I'm also looking for 45 degree and 90 degree panels in CADPAT
45_degree_adapter_md.jpg

If anyone knows where to get this stuff, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Why would it matter if the panels are in Cadpat? Pouches are being mounted over them, you dont even see the panel when pouches are on top. The only three things I would add to this thread are;

1. Be careful about the use of triple mag pouches. In vehicles the third layer of mags really makes you bigger. I prefer to stick with doubles.

2. In reference to chest rigs in general. I would not pigeon hole yourself with a dedicated chest rig i.e. HSGI Warlord series. Our AO is becoming increasingly dismounted, we are moving away from the use of LAV's in some areas, simply because they are inaccessible to vehicles. Chest rigs SUCK for long dismounted ops. They hurt your back, are unstable to hump in, in general they are not suited for dismounted ops. I would suggest going with a split front TT MAV with X harness or the comparable CP Gear KISS rig, or MOFOCR. Basically a split front chest rig, with some kind of yoke. This will allow you to "low ride" your chest rig for dismounted ops. i.e. drop it low on the hips for stability but still leave you the option of wearing it high like a chest rig for normal mech ops.

3. Read around, the Weesatch/Woosatch series of rigs does not lend iteself well to being used without plates in it. It is designed as a plate carrier, and does not function 100% using it improperly as a chest rig.

Obviously, all of this is just my 2 cents

PhilB said:
Why would it matter if the panels are in Cadpat? Pouches are being mounted over them, you dont even see the panel when pouches are on top. The only three things I would add to this thread are;

I'm just a picky kit-slut.  I like things to match.  Besides, you can see the panel when you have only a holster attached to it.

As for the chest rigs and such; I found my HSGI Denali was good to go for quick roll-up ops, but, you're right, for patrols, it's kinda front-bulky... that's why I'm going with a vest-style set up, and full MOLLE so it's adjustable to suit the conditions... but then again, the chances of me using this kit in Operation again is slim, so this is really just for my self-indulgence... thus the fussiness with colour.

Good points though.

I completely agree with the comments about using something built as a plate carrier without plates. The space dedicated for the plates is going to create tons of extra material which will translate into is sliding around a lot and sagging. We had a guy who tried doing that in my section on work up, with a weesatch / woosatch and he had serious issues trying to get it to stay in one place on his body. He later went for a split fron TT MAV

1. Be careful about the use of triple mag pouches. In vehicles the third layer of mags really makes you bigger. I prefer to stick with doubles.

2. In reference to chest rigs in general. I would not pigeon hole yourself with a dedicated chest rig i.e. HSGI Warlord series. Our AO is becoming increasingly dismounted, we are moving away from the use of LAV's in some areas, simply because they are inaccessible to vehicles. Chest rigs SUCK for long dismounted ops. They hurt your back, are unstable to hump in, in general they are not suited for dismounted ops. I would suggest going with a split front TT MAV with X harness or the comparable CP Gear KISS rig, or MOFOCR. Basically a split front chest rig, with some kind of yoke. This will allow you to "low ride" your chest rig for dismounted ops. i.e. drop it low on the hips for stability but still leave you the option of wearing it high like a chest rig for normal mech ops.

3. Read around, the Weesatch/Woosatch series of rigs does not lend iteself well to being used without plates in it. It is designed as a plate carrier, and does not function 100% using it improperly as a chest rig.

Read and heed.  I'll emphasize a couple points from my own experience:

I wore triple mag pouches, and found them to be too bulky. If I could do it again, I would have gone for 4 double pouches for 8 mags, and a low cut <a href="http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=183" target="_blank">bunjie shingle</a> for the 9th.  Esstac's shingle is fully adjustable for how much of the mag sticks up above the pouch.

I know quite a few guys who were disappointed with the Warlords.  They were very bulky and very front heavy, even for mounted operations.  A split front modular vest is the most convenient, flexible, and therefore practical set up I've come across.

Back