• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting Policy-Restricted (IR) & Prohibited moves [MERGED]

If I recall correctly Calgary's PLD is very low. Like 20 dollars. The current policy states if you go on IR that :
(CBI 208.997(8))
If quarters are unavailable
at public expense and the member occupies a
private accommodation, the amount of SE is
limited to:
(a) private accommodation expenses, the
monthly amount of which does not exceed
the monthly charge under paragraph (1) of
article 208.50 (Deductions for the Provision
of Single Quarters and Covered Residential
Parking) of the QR&O for a single quarter
Type H1, rated “very good”;

Keep in mind that as of Feb this year, all SE for those on IR ceased so you will only get reimbursed your rent...and that's it. If you are there IR, you will automatically get PLD for your 'home' location. You might want to do a bit of reading of this as there have been some dramatic changes in the last 12-18 months.
I suspect you may have had one of the RMS clerks PM you already??

Pat

Thanks for the feedback, I knew that IR had been greatly reduced, and that it will likely see more cuts and restrictions in the future. That said, although having the rent covered would be very helpful considering average rent for a decent place ranges from 1300 to 1700/month(...granted I could rent a tiny apartment, or shady basement in a rougher neighborhood for 800-1200/month). My wife and I are renting a furnished place on Manitoulin and all our belongings have been in storage in my mom's basement for years, we would like to get all our stuff out of there; however, if PLD is only $20 that might not be a viable option. I thought I had read some where that PLD in Calgary had gone up to $710? I'd like to know for certain before committing to a HHT and moving all of our F and E out there only to find out that PLD really is only $20... I realize that I can't count on PLD as a constant income source; but, given the cost of living out there I do have to take into consideration in my budget.

thanks again, and if anyone knows where I can get an up to date list of the current PLD rates that would great.

If I've found the correct reference, PLD is currently frozen at 2009/2010 rates. For Calgary that's $711.

I was mistaken. It is now 711. Here is the most recent list IAW CBI 204.45

Aldergrove 418 Ottawa/Gatineau 0
Barrie -Borden 0 Peterborough - DND 0
Brantford 0 Prince Albert 0
Calgary 711 Quebec City - Valcartier 117
Cambridge 71 Red Deer 327
Chatham ON 0 Regina 62
Chilliwack 0 Rouyn-Noranda 0
Cold Lake 319 Sarnia 0
Corner Brook 0 Saskatoon 382
Dundurn-Saskatoon 0 Sault Ste Marie 0
Edmonton 684 Sept -Îles -DND 107
Gander 0 Sherbrooke 0
Grand Falls - Windsor 0 Shilo 0
Guelph 167 Saint-Hyacinthe 0
Halifax 631 Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu 0
Hamilton 414 St. John’s 149
Kamloops/Kelowna 525 Stratford - DND 82
Kenora 0 Sudbury 0
Kingston 0 Thunder Bay 0
Kitchener 62 Timmins 0
Lethbridge 234 Toronto Area 1 1,485
London 0 Toronto Area 2 506
Meaford-Owen Sound 77 Toronto Area 3 522
Medicine Hat 145 Toronto Area 4 819
Montreal North Shore 505 Toronto Area 5 1,167
Montreal South Shore 376 Trail 0
Moose Jaw 284 Vancouver 1,083
Nanaimo 75 Victoria/Esquimalt 816
Niagara/St. Catharines 0 Windsor 0
North Bay 0 Winnipeg 0

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation guys. I think we are going to just take the PLD and get our F and E shipped out there. That way we can have an actual home in Calgary, which will be nice when the missus comes out for her summers off... can't argue with summers in the Rockies! Now I just have to wait for Brookfield/IRP to send me my login and password. Also Since I am a re-enrollment, would my pay start after my COS date(30 Sep)? the CFRC put me on LWOP until 29 Sep. I just want to make sure that I won't be without a paycheck for too long. Thanks again for the help!

There is also new direction for joining members and PLD.  If you are not "trades' qualified, (QL3/OFP but don't quote me on that) you are no longer entitled to PLD.  This direction came out in August from Ottawa and currently applies to new members and CT's going into the Regular Force and into different trades.  Good times.

TwoTonShackle said:
There is also new direction for joining members and PLD.  If you are not "trades' qualified, (QL3/OFP but don't quote me on that) you are no longer entitled to PLD.  This direction came out in August from Ottawa and currently applies to new members and CT's going into the Regular Force and into different trades.  Good times.

That's not too surprising... Luckily I have my QL3 so I should be okay... famous last words right? lol. Does anyone know how long IRP takes to send you a password and login; I've been waiting since 10 September.

badwolf said:
That's not too surprising... Luckily I have my QL3 so I should be okay... famous last words right? lol. Does anyone know how long IRP takes to send you a password and login; I've been waiting since 10 September.

PM inbound with some details for you.......please confirm that you received the info?  I notice alot of new members here don't seem to check or don't know how to check their "Personal Messages - PM's"  :(

Good morning,
I am currently in IR in Edmonton, my house and wife still in NB.
When I do my tax this years, would I pay Alberta or NB Tax ?

I understand my primary residence is in NB, but same time I work in Alberta, and where I live is Alberta ?

You would have to file your taxes with NB.  It is where you reside on 31 Dec.  If your primary residence is still in NB then technically that is where you reside on 31 Dec.  It is the same thing for all the guys that go work in Fort Mac but have their house in NS, they file with NS even though they live and work in the camps in Fort Mac

armymen said:
Good morning,
I am currently in IR in Edmonton, my house and wife still in NB.
When I do my tax this years, would I pay Alberta or NB Tax ?

I understand my primary residence is in NB, but same time I work in Alberta, and where I live is Alberta ?

Filing income tax is a "personal" matter, so the CF cannot tell you YES or NO with regards to tax related questions.  It is entirely up to you as to what you choose to do.  I would suggest taking a quick look at the CRA website and if you want a definitive answer, you would have to speak with CRA directly.

I believe this is the most current info from CRA  -  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/tchncl/ncmtx/fls/s5/f1/s5-f1-c1-eng.html

I was working towards a CA designation before joining the CAF and have worked for a public accounting firm as well as getting pretty intimate with the income tax act that I studied in both personal and corporate taxation.  You would be extremely hard pressed to be able to justify filing with AB with your principle residence and spouse in NB, in fact you couldn't justify it.  It is pretty clear cut that it is where your principle residence is on 31 Dec.  Your house, spouse, and kids are your resendential ties.......it sucks cause Quebec and the Maritimes are brutal for provincial income tax rate

DrSize said:
I was working towards a CA designation before joining the CAF and have worked for a public accounting firm as well as getting pretty intimate with the income tax act that I studied in both personal and corporate taxation.  You would be extremely hard pressed to be able to justify filing with AB with your principle residence and spouse in NB, in fact you couldn't justify it.  It is pretty clear cut that it is where your principle residence is on 31 Dec.  Your house, spouse, and kids are your resendential ties.......it sucks cause Quebec and the Maritimes are brutal for provincial income tax rate

That's true but as a member of the CF, by going the way of IR, you have merely suspended an employment required relocation which at some point in time will take place.  So technically, you could be considered as having "dual" residency status at this time.  But careful where you go with this.  IR is merely a "temporary" situation, taken on by yourself due to personal circumstances.  So you can't say "I have no intention of relocating my family to my current location" as that puts the brakes on IR should it come to light.

Are you "physically" living in Alberta, do you have an AB drivers licence is your employment location AB, will your family join you, etc.......there are pro's and con's.

At the end of the day, it's your call!

NB actually isn't too bad (nowhere near as bad as Quebec or NS).  If you have 70k of taxable income the difference you pay in provincial income tax between NB and AB is a little over 800/year.  It starts to become really noticable if your taxable income is 100k + per year as AB tax rate is 10% across the board regardless of how much you make.  ON and BC have attractive provincial income tax rates as well....

It is worth talking to CRA to get a definite answer from the source.  I am 99% sure that you would have to file in NB and in my opinion saving 800 in taxes isn't worth possibly getting audited by CRA as most likely a red flag would come up on your file......

DrSize said:

Nope; you're right - it's NB taxes for him.  There's many threads on this site already dealing with IR and taxes and inclusive of the CRA response.

How could one swear to the CF that his principal residence is in NB and therefore be granted IR and it's associated expenses covered "for being posted separately from his principal residence and family" ... then turn around and sign off on his legal income tax forms swearing that his principal residence is actually Alberta??  He's lying to at least one entity then.  It's called fraud.

Last time I checked, only senators from PEI were, for a time, deemed to be officially-unofficially eligible for such principal residency flip-flops.

Not only that, but when he goes to sell his house in NB (assuming home ownership and possible move at some later date) he'll be liable for capital gains for the period the house wasn't his principal residence... they get you one way or the other :)

So this year I was accepted to AVOTP.  Upon completion of my QL3 would I be entitled to IR (I have met CBI 208.997(3)a-h) even though it's my first posting in my new trade

I recall seeing in a pub somewhere (Can't remember the circumstances) that one was not eligible for IR on the first posting [insert acronym here] that I was told meant once qualified in a new trade. I cannot remember the acronym.

Anyone have any idea of this?  Any IR SMEs out there?  I'm a newb pub searcher but I've spent quite some time looking.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Everyone says if you meet the conditions to move your HG&E in accordance with the CFIRP Manual 11.1.01, then you're also entitled to IR as long as your CM gives his approval. QL3 is good enough to be entitled to a move on first posting, see 11.1.01.

But dam I can't find it in any policy.

Back