• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Postal code: Deliver advertising, or else

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Postal code: Deliver advertising, or else
Carriers told to stop intercepting marketing mail, whether customer wants it or not
PATRICK BRETHOUR From Thursday's Globe and Mail September 20, 2007 at 4:43 AM EDT
Article Link

VANCOUVER — Canadians can expect a lot more unwanted advertising in their mailboxes as Canada Post cracks down on letter carriers who have been plucking out marketing mailings with outdated names.

Carriers have, on their own, been quietly defying Canada Post policy that specified that all advertising mail is to be delivered to customers, even if it is addressed to a previous occupant - and even if the recipient says they don't want it.

No more: Over the summer, letter carriers started operating under the letter of that postal law, meaning each and every piece of mail must be delivered. Carriers are grumbling, and saying customers are incredulous they must intercept their mail - every day - in order to have such incorrectly aimed advertising mailers returned.

But Canada Post says it won't endanger its half-billion in revenue from mass mailers, and that it is obliged to deliver the advertising pitches that generate the cash, 1.47 billion pieces of individually addressed ad mail last year. "You pay to have mail sent to somebody, you don't pay to receive it," spokesman John Caines said.

The post office doesn't immediately lose money if it doesn't deliver ads from mass mailers, but Mr. Caines said failure to do so could imperil future contracts and cut into Canada Post's revenue.

Canadians can arrange to refuse delivery of junk mail - Canada Post calls that unaddressed ad mail - and they can request to have their own names stricken from direct-mailing lists. But their only recourse in the case of advertising that has their address but someone else's name is to continue to send the mail back in the hopes the sender eventually gets the message, or to contact each company directly.
More on link

Is the solution just to write "return to sender" on the offending piece of mail and fire it into a mailbox?

Don't know if that will work, but "Moved" seems to work here. I caretake an apartment building, and mail appears on top of our mail boxes regularly for tenants who have long moved on - some more than 2 years ago! Regardless of what it is, I write "Moved" on it and leave it out where the mail carrier can see it. It always disappears, and doesn't seem to come back. I don't know where it goes, and don't much care, but its Canada Post's problem, not mine. I have enough trouble keeping honest-to-goodness junk mail out of the entryway.

:cdn:
Hawk

I wonder how fast that "half-billion in revenue" would be eroded if a large portion of that mail was forwarded free of charge to the Minister responsible for Canada Post to be redirected to the named recipient?

"DECEASED" across the front and dropped back in the mail slot.  >:D

Kat Stevens said:
"DECEASED" across the front and dropped back in the mail slot.  >:D 

I just dump it into the recycle bin.  I cant be bothered to get upset about some moron corporation wasting their time and money on an ineffective marketing campaign... if they did any follow-up on their marketing efforts, they would realize that their form of advertisement usually only builds up hostility and resentment towards the company using this method. 

Back